Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Mage portals Free or Not

as a Mage you can get whispered quite often that people want portals, so one day i decide to go in trade chat and offer portals for 20g soon i get 3 maybe 4 people /w me with some quite rude messages about how im making the game worse and stuff, what i'd like to know is do you people consider it a service for mages to make portals of a duty and they should be handed out free?

They should be handed out by the mages however they please. If they want to give them for free, let me. If they make it 100g, let them. No one will buy.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Yeah, I feel that it's really up to the individual mage. Whether they want to give them away for free or for gold, I wouldn't give them a hard time. If it was a ridiculous price in my eyes I would just tell them I thought that price was too high and look for a different mage.
    Last edited by Ineras; 2013-02-13 at 12:37 PM.

It costs what, 90 silver for a rune? People leave more then that on the corpses of monsters they can't be bothered to loot, or stuff they don't sell on the Auction House ...

Mages who ask for 50g for a portal are stupid. It takes almost none of their time, and it isn't worth 50g.

It does not cost anything - so it should be free. But it costs time to build the group, come together. For a complete stranger you should tipp him. Most will refuse the tipp anyway but it shows good will.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    It costs what, 90 silver for a rune? People leave more then that on the corpses of monsters they can't be bothered to loot, or stuff they don't sell on the Auction House ...

Mages who ask for 50g for a portal are stupid. It takes almost none of their time, and it isn't worth 50g.
    It costs nothing because spell regeants don't exist anymore.

I portal anyone for free on my Mage if I'm not particularly busy. I feel that's how all Mages should act.

They don't cost reagents. And if you don't feel it's worth it, don't purchase one. Getting personal about it is far more stupid.

OP, the time it takes you to port is your time and you decide what you're willing to accept for it. As long as they have the right to say "no" to you, a right that weak-minded people will never be able to conceptualize fully, you're doing nothing wrong even if you're demanding 1000g per port. If someone insults you for it, tell them to fuck off to Communist China where they belong.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the asshole demands money, I travel by other means. If the mage doesn't ask for money, I tip based on how much I like the guy/gal, between 2-10g. 20 if they make me smile irl :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    i always do free mage portals, it costs nothing and a couple of seconds. always free from me!

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    I portal anyone for free on my Mage if I'm not particularly busy. I feel that's how all Mages should act.
    I mind my own business and don't go around telling people how they should spend their game time. I feel that's how all players should act.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do it strictly off tips. People charging 50g to 100g on my server for ports are laughable. I also hit them up with a couple stacks of mage food while I'm at it, because I can and I'm nice like that. My tips usually range between 10g to 50g and I usually tip 20g when I'm on my rogue/alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    If the asshole demands money, I travel by other means. If the mage doesn't ask for money, I tip based on how much I like the guy/gal, between 2-10g. 20 if they make me smile irl :P
    Hmmm, if I saw two people, one of whom expected the other to spend their time on strangers without compensation and the other who asked for compensation for a voluntary transaction, I wonder which one I'd call the asshole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone saying it should be free, or anyone complaining that someone charging a lot of gold is being an asshole is missing the point. If he sells a port and someone actuallys,lets say 30g, that is the buyers problem, not the sellers.

Let the mages do as they please, its up to you, the consumer to decide if its worth it or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Wow, 2 gold! You generous bastard!

10+ Year Old Account

No.... The mats are removed.....
    Portals and Teleports don't require any runes anymore. They are free now.

20g is definitely hefty and since they are free of costs it's quite unethical to advertise to sell them.
    On the contrary, it should be a given to tip a mage for a portal, when you ask for it outside of an event like BG or instance run etc.
    If you bark in trade for a mage portal, and one is kind enough to respond, then tip them something. IF I need a mage portal, then I do so usually on lowbie toons to get them to central hubs, like the Shrine. To get the lowbie toon there is an incredible advancement for my toons mobility, by having access to all portals in one spot. That's worth something to me, and I usually tip that with around 30g.
    I never respond to advertising mages, they don't make any business off me. When ever I need a mage, I go into my UI, using the WHO option and find me a mage that way. I ask em polite, which usually triggers a positive response.
    On my own mage, I give portals out for free as well. I never charge.. And depending on the person, I even refuse an offered tip on occasion.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

As stated by skitzy129 there is no longer a need for runes so thus casting the portal costs them nothing just the cast time of the portal.. And since the mage is not out of pocket since they don't have to by runes then charging for a portal is not really needed. If the party wanting the portal tips the mage then all well and good but thats about it..

To the op charging 20g for a portal is a bit rich considering you don't have to buy runes.. If you try something like offering portals to major cities tips most welcome then you might get a lot more and a lot less agro from others.

As a mage, I will make portals for free normally, but it gripes me when I'm in a queue for LFR/LFG, and you get a /w asking. I reply politely saying I'm in the queue, but most of the time, this is met with spotty little oiks who can't comprehend joining a party kicks you out of the queue.

The funny part is when the person wanting a portal is somewhere else, and expects you to drop everything to go to their aid

But yes, I never charge, but never turn down tips if offered.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    it is hard work for the mage and he should be paid accordingly. hell, i dont even drop healthstones or summon people to the raid without getting a tip from the gbank......

/sarcasm

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    I mind my own business and don't go around telling people how they should spend their game time. I feel that's how all players should act.
    You should think about calming down, you seem awful heated over such a simple thread.
    They weren't telling anyone how to play or how to spend their game time. They were simply offering their opinion on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

I never ever ask in trade and any mage I see offering portal service for a price I pretty much ignore (not actually ignore command). When the rare occasion I need a portal appears I /who mage citynameiamin and whisper one. 9 times out of 10 they are happy to port me if I ask politely. I then give them about 100g for being nice to a stranger.