Thread: Ashbringer

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ashbringer

So, I've thought of this several times over the last few years, but only now i'm making a Thread here.

Isn't Darion Mograin the rightful bearer to the Ashbringer? why doesn't Tirion give it back? I mean, "that day is not today" doesn't seem valid anymore. Plus Tirion has defeated the Lich King, so why does he need the weapon anyway?

What are your thoughts on this? cause for me Darion is like "OMG GIVE IT BACK ALREADY"

the sword choses its wielder

Probably something about an undead character wielding a holy weapon with extra powers against the undead. If it was still corrupted Morgraine could use it but the normal Ashbringer would injure him just by holding it like crucifixes burn vampires.

Ashbringer is the weapon of light.... Darion is DK....

My take is this:

The ashbringer was originally made to fight the undead. Its full powers probably won't be realized if its in the hands of an undead (like we have seen when darion tried to face the lich king at lights hope chapel).

The day will come probably when the new lich king makes his move and darion will probably regain the sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't the corrupted version have the soul of Alexandros within it? Wonder where he went.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Didn't the corrupted version have the soul of Alexandros within it? Wonder where he went.
    His soul was freed from the sword when Darion replaced it with his own, though Alexandros' soul was later captured by the Lich King.

He was freed when the Lich King fell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    the sword choses its wielder
    The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalega View Post
    The wand chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter.
    yeah um kind of. In warcraft lore the ashbringer is a living weapon and only the person it deems its true wielder can unlock its full power.

I never really liked the way Tirion gets it or Tirion for that matter. What did he really do in Wrath? Took one swing at Arthas at Light's Hope, gave Ashbringer to an npc who loses it under Utgarde Keep, throws a tournament killing hundreds of Alliance and Horde, and then gets trapped in an ice block only to jump out at the end and takes swing number two against Arthas. I hope he just gives it up to Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by RG7620 View Post
    I hope he just gives it up to Turalyon
    Because "Oh hey, you've been away for years, our kingdom is now full of Undead that are allied with my faction but as a welcome back present i give you the sword which defeated the Lich king" makes much more sense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RG7620 View Post
    I never really liked the way Tirion gets it or Tirion for that matter. What did he really do in Wrath? Took one swing at Arthas at Light's Hope, gave Ashbringer to an npc who loses it under Utgarde Keep, throws a tournament killing hundreds of Alliance and Horde, and then gets trapped in an ice block only to jump out at the end and takes swing number two against Arthas. I hope he just gives it up to Turalyon
    If you pay attention to Wotlk in fact he fought the Lich king three times. First fight was in the light's hope. Second fight was in the icecrown cathedral when you have the quest to disguse yourself as a cultist, then the last fight in the icecrown citadel.

But I mean, the sword is Darion's by right! even if he corrupts it again, it should be his.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Probably something about an undead character wielding a holy weapon with extra powers against the undead. If it was still corrupted Morgraine could use it but the normal Ashbringer would injure him just by holding it like crucifixes burn vampires.
    thats how i looked at it. if he was still alive it would make sense but i doubt he could wield ashbringer without either harming himself or corrupting it again
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    But I mean, the sword is Darion's by right! even if he corrupts it again, it should be his.
    Just because he has a right to it doesn't mean he wants it. He knows it does more good in the hands of a paladin, so that's where it stays.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Darion no longer has a right to the sword it rejected him that why tirion was able to purify it on contact. the ashbringer in its pure form is a beacon of light. as a deathknight Darion can never wield the ashbringer in its pure form. the sword responds to the soul of the wielder.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Eligor Dawnbringer said, "The power of the Ashbringer came from the man who would wield it...".

The sword was at it's strongest in the hands of The Ashbringer himself, Alexandros Mograine (the sword was named after him, not the other way around). The things Alexandros did with that sword far outclass anything Tirion has ever done (aside from smacking LK with it a couple times, but I don't doubt Alexandros could have done more). If Alexandros were still alive the war in Northrend would have ended a lot faster.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2013-02-16 at 07:31 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    So, I've thought of this several times over the last few years, but only now i'm making a Thread here.

Isn't Darion Mograin the rightful bearer to the Ashbringer? why doesn't Tirion give it back? I mean, "that day is not today" doesn't seem valid anymore. Plus Tirion has defeated the Lich King, so why does he need the weapon anyway?

What are your thoughts on this? cause for me Darion is like "OMG GIVE IT BACK ALREADY"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEBTgCqnZEc

Enjoy
    | Lenovo Legion5 17ACH6H | i7 8700K @ 4.7 GhZ| ASUS Rog Strix Z370-F GAMING | 32 GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR4 3600MHz | 2 x Acer 27" Predator XB271HU | Fractal Design Meshify C | Master MasterLiquid ML360R WaterCooling | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | Samsung 980 PRO M.2 1Tb | Asus RTX 2070 | EVGA 650W GQ | Steelseries Rival | Logitech G815 | Playstation 5 | Xbox Series X | Nintendo Switch

Ashbringer is a holy artifact, it pretty much destroys anything undead it touches, depending of course on the power and strength of the undead creature.
    Tirion purified it when Darion threw it to him. Darion, being a death Knight at the time, could only wield it in it's corrupted form yes?

I don't think Darion is able to hold it in it's purified/non corrupt form is he?
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I think you've forgotten words from Alexandros:
    "My son, there will come a day when you will command the Ashbringer, and with it mete out justice across this land. I have no doubt that when that day finally comes, you will bring pride to our people, and that Lordaeron will be a better place because of you. But, my son, that day is not today."

I'm really looking forward to see Darion back with Ashbringer(let Tirion die, he did his job), maybe in the Expansion where we'll fight with Bolvar() or something.