Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

90 Protection Guide to Solo Heroic Lich King 25 man

UPDATED 4/7/13 for 5.3

Sup paladins, this is a written guide for my solo of Heroic Lich King 25. It is intended for Protection paladins, as of right now Ret would have a much harder time attempting to do this, although there are still plenty of ways to underman it.

The video is linked here, the rest of this post will serve as a written guide for those who wish to replicate it. The kill itself is a touch messy but I got over the line.

FAQ: Please check this before posting
    - How Do I maintain a lockout from week to week? Get a friend to hold an 11/12 normal mode clear, they generally need to zone into a 25 man normal lock and set it to heroic, but as long as they don't accept the lock it should last from week to week.

- My RP is bugging, what is the cause and how do I fix it if it happens? The bug is caused by Shamblers or Ghouls keeping the boss in combat. When the RP starts the adds default to their spawn point, so by keeping your adds towards the edges of the room, you can avoid causing this. In the event it does happen, you can release once the bug begins, get back, pick up the adds and tag the boss to put it back in combat with you. This may lead to the bosses health resetting, but I myself am yet to experience it.

- 5.4 is bringing lots of changes to vengeance, will this fight still be soloable? Having tested it on the PTR I can say it is still killable, but it has become significantly more dependent on gear requirements. It will take some more time to work out exactly what the minimum ilevel may be, but I'd say 530-535 is a decent bench mark for the moment.

- Come 5.4 will this zerg strategy I've heard and seen still work? No.

Why would you want to solo Heroic LK 25?
    Invincible, it is an incredibly rare mount which has a surprisingly high drop rate considering how few are around. It is also a meaty challenge at this point.

Why would I want a mount I can’t see?
    Good question.

How geared do you need to be?
    I completed this with 512 ilevel in 5.1, at the time it was an extremely tight DPS check. With 5.2 the DPS check is significantly reduced via the GC change. I'd suggest not trying this with any less than ~510ish to be sure to kill it.

Do I need consumables? Flasks/Pots etc.
    Yes! What I run for the kill can be listed here:
    200 Haste Food
    8% Stamina Scroll
    Strength Potions
    Strength Flask

Using the Drums with Might isn't necessary, the damage is not intense enough to require it.

What trinkets should you use?
    Simply put, use the best DPS trinkets you have access to. Strength or Haste trinkets are the best. There are plenty available as of 5.2, try to avoid crit.

What glyphs do you need?
    I run the following glyphs, the intention is to maximum single target damage on LK himself. The longer the adds live the more damage you do.
    - Alabaster Shield
    - Focused Shield
    - Divine Protection/Final Wrath (at higher gear levels, 525 onwards, this can significantly shorten your p3)
    - Focused Wrath – Minor glyph

I can’t solo it but want to be able to two or three man it, can you help Choice?
    Yes! Many people have done this already but it’s worth mentioning here, Phase 2 can be quite tricky to do since the Valks pick up any player besides the tank. To combat this, in the transition phase ensure that all players have threat on at least one raging spirit each. As a result, the Valks will be unable to pick your mates up. Keep these alive and on everyone for the duration of Phase 2, and everything else is easy. Good luck.

Prologue – Some things worth noting before we begin
    Just some basic things I feel are worth mentioning but can’t quite stream line into the guide without keeping it focused. Will include these here.
    - The modern strategy for this involves leaving the Drudge Ghouls alive for most of the fight, in order to trigger near constant Grand Crusader procs
    - Your goal is to put as much of your damage into the boss as possible. Note the glyphs that ensure that almost everything is a single target attack. Between this and the Vengeance provided, killing the adds is not your intention. You want them to live for as long as possible. This includes Raging Spirits.
    - Relevant to the above point, it has been found that leaving Ghouls alive into phase 3 will cause a bug that will kill your character shortly after being ported to the down phase. Avoid this by adding Cons to your rotation either slightly before or doing the second transition. [/B]

Phase 1
    This phase takes the longest of any phase, roughly 5 minutes is the maximum length you want it to be going. It is also the simplest.

Infest stacking is a good way to speed up this phase, details are included further down.

There's not much to do in this phase other than burning the boss down. Some people stay at the base of the stairs and soak shadow traps for some additional kick.

Transition Phase 1
    For this phase you’ll want three simple targeting macros
    1. /tar The Lich King
    2. /tar Ice Sphere

The most important of these is the Ice Sphere macro, I will assume you’ve bound both of these.

When you see the first orb drop, start mashing your macro (2) and be ready to either Judgement or Avenger’s Shield it. With sub 70k hp either will do. I stick with Judgement since it’s less damage than the AS and thus more efficient for maxing LK damage. Luckily for us, you can cast either of these while silenced allowing a completely secure way of preventing orb deaths. `

Each spawn should play out in roughly the same way, you see the orb land, hit your second macro, Judge/AS it, hit your LK (1) macro and get back on him.
    In Short: Use the macros to swap targets seamlessly, kill Ice Spheres with Judgement/AS, make sure you’ve set the first spirit as your focus to kill off later.

Phase 2
    - This is simply a burn phase, you’ll have the highest vengeance in this phase and peak your damage. Settle yourself into a defile and go hard. You have three minutes to make this phase end
    - AD and Devotion Aura can both be cast while silenced, perfect CD’s if Infest is railing you during a Soul Shriek .
    - Due to the high vengeance but low damage taken, often a 1p WoG able to recover a shitty Infest.
    - You may chose to run the final defile out to ensure it’s not in the middle come the second transition phase, which can be by far the most RNG element of the whole fight, as you’ll have all spirits up at that point.
    - You cannot bubble in this phase, or else the Valks will pick you up.
    - You need to start working on killing the ghouls well before the transition begins,
    In Short: Take as much damage as possible and roll the boss, making sure most of the ghouls are near dead.

Transition Phase 2

It'll be the same as the first but with far more damage and soul shrieks, as a result you should be alright dumping most of your CDs during this portion.

You need to make sure that all your ghouls are dead before this phase ends, it is unlikely that you'll be able to 100-0 them in just that phase, due to the silences and AoE cap. As a result you want to aim to have them all around sub 50% before this phase kicks in.

Phase 3
    - First thing to note, by this phase you don’t need to use the defiles. Between all the adds and Vile Spirits, you will have your hands full and consistently high vengeance.
    - Whether or not you'll have any issues in this phase is based on your gear level. Below 525 you may find the phase to be quite intense, in which case you may want to play it safe. Above that you can stand in all the defiles at very little consequence.
    - Use Divine Shield and Devotion Aura as methods of soaking Vile Spirits, try to ensure you have CDs incase things go bad elsewhere.
    - Try and ensure that you’ll have Holy Avenger up right on enrage, with all the Vengeance you’ll have you want the spam WoGs/SoTRs along with Guardian and LoH. LK’s Soul Reaper is huge post enrage (~600k damage) and goes through bubble. Recommend using LoH as opposed to bubble. Personal experiences say it has a higher success rate.

Outside of all this, hope for some good luck and get keen. I hope this was helpful and will be looking to assist with anyone’s queries either here or via PMs.
    Last edited by Choice; 2013-08-27 at 08:34 AM.

Avast | Signature by Pangcakes | YouTube Channel

Glad to see you managed to fraps it this time. It's pretty impressive!

Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

Thank you for posting this! I've been dusting off my old paladin not so long ago and I was thinking paladins could probably solo this at one point, seeing as DKs can already do it with ease. Definitely gonna try this when I can access some more gear on my paladin alt ;p

Awesome stuff Choice, congratulations! Will be trying this in the near future, looks like an incredible amount of fun.
    Last edited by Aceshigh; 2013-02-17 at 03:33 AM.

Field Marshal
    Nice one, maybe able to finally get around to getting that pesky mount I can't seem to find.
    Last edited by Mushedcow; 2013-03-26 at 08:42 PM.

Nice. I enjoyed the music too, first song in particular is now on my playlists :P

Awesome work Choice! Looking forward to being able to do it when 5.2 hits.

Herald of the Titans icausewipes's Avatar
    Grats on the vid.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrSaTHsHNsc
    Greatest Dr Who video ever made.

i'll have to try this once i get some more tank gear next tier.....

question though, do you use a full set of tank gear, aside from trinkets? or atleast anything different than how prot already gem/enchant etc

Woah, the video is just impressive

Btw, any tip to solo clear the previous bosses? or do you do it with a group?

Thanks and gz for the kill, Choice!

Is it likely that it would be doable in lower ilvl gear if going for the pure haste build ? (ie : no parry/dodge items)

Cheers for the positive responses guys, appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by RoughJustice View Post
    i'll have to try this once i get some more tank gear next tier.....

question though, do you use a full set of tank gear, aside from trinkets? or atleast anything different than how prot already gem/enchant etc
    For the purposes of this I did max my haste more than I normally would, lost a few good mastery/stam socket bonuses in favour of just pure haste gems. Also ran Dancing Steel, which isn't particularly common I guess. I was considering swapping out small shit like my shoulder enchant for the strength one. Little stuff like that does have an impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairoz View Post
    Woah, the video is just impressive

Btw, any tip to solo clear the previous bosses? or do you do it with a group?

Thanks and gz for the kill, Choice!
    Thanks to some changes with the way ICC's lock outs work, it is now possible to clear the instance on 10 man normal then swap to 25 HM for LK. Doing this, nothing is particularly challenging, although bql and dreamwalker do at this point does require a friend. Benefits them as well because they get a lock out they can use as well.

Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Is it likely that it would be doable in lower ilvl gear if going for the pure haste build ? (ie : no parry/dodge items)
    I'm honestly not sure, the strength from gear plays a big role in p1 damage due to the low vengeance. Whether you could easily pick up more haste than I used (~20%) in lower gear levels, can't really say.
    Last edited by Choice; 2013-02-18 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    I'm honestly not sure, the strength from gear plays a big role in p1 damage due to the low vengeance. Whether you could easily pick up more haste than I used (~20%) in lower gear levels, can't really say.
    I'm sitting at 19.something% in 502. If I swap out the Prot set for Haste offpieces should be able to go over 20%. I'm gonna give it a whirl on Tuesday night after I hand in my final paper for the term so I'll check back in and let you all know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    For the purposes of this I did max my haste more than I normally would, lost a few good mastery/stam socket bonuses in favour of just pure haste gems. Also ran Dancing Steel, which isn't particularly common I guess. I was considering swapping out small shit like my shoulder enchant for the strength one. Little stuff like that does have an impact.
    So for someone whos ms is ret, should i just stay in ret gear? Or a balance between the 2? Im guessing the extra stam and some parry/dodge helps

To my knowledge Haste is a ret paladins top stat, so gear wise you should be able to stick with your best haste pieces and have a good jumping off point. Obviously this tiers BiS trinkets are the same as what I listed as best for prot on this fight, that's another advantage,

Your behaviour of the shambling horrors in p3 doesn't mirror mine. Any time I had them in p3 and I was pulled into frostmourne I would be down there for around 10s or so and then instantly die :/

I ruined the video for myself. I looked at your recount during the beginning and realized the Damage was updating to the beat of the song, then I couldnt pay attention anymore. lol

Can you give some specific details? I don't do anything in particular to prevent any issues, they simply reset health after one or two Harvest Souls.

Impressive video, just went and tried it for lols and wiped on 19% due to having no working berserk timer, funtimes.

How come you kill of the raging spirit? I didn't bother with it and frankly came way to close to dieing in p3 to many times, does it make a big difference?

I've been doing this for the past few weeks for extra chances at the mount. It's a fun way to pass the time and give yourself a challenge. Congrats on your kill and nice video.

Dkb - Protection Paladin
    <Reckoning> Mannoroth - 16/16H US #11 www.ReckoningWow.com // Live Stream