Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Okay, for one, the 680 is -not- a better bang for buck card. never has and never will. It's questionable it's worth the extra cost over the 670, let alone the 7970.

$25 for twice the storage is no question. Theres no reason to go with a 500gb drive.
    Never said it was. Said specifically that it has better performance and that's it. When it comes to HDD's it really doesn't matter imo. I never use above 100GB as permanent storage and the other 400 GB are just temp storage for movies,pictures and other garbage, I rarely use more than 100GB for that either. Really sensitive files are not stored on the computer but on flash drives/externals. Now, my build reflects my needs and usage and is based around that. If I didn't have to include a monitor ,Optical and OS(Which he probably already have or will not use) I'd go with a larger SSD and even perhaps a 690, just because, fuck, I can with that budget. I'm sure that you guys example builds are also based entirely around what you need and use, thus a 3.2 TB storage capability, optical drives and legit OS's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    <SNIP>
    You are not really being helpful towards OP, don't confuse him because you think it's "funny" to "play with his money". No offense but just drop it and lets make sure OP gets help instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Setting Sun View Post
    I'm building my first PC ever. My budget is roughly 1000-1500$. I am preparing for the upcoming Elder Scrolls MMO, and will be using it for streaming and some youtube casting as well, but mostly gaming. I need some knowledgable friends to step forward and give me a hand picking parts for my price range and with PC building in general.

Thanks guys! throw some posts at me!
    • Budget
    • Resolution
    • Games / Settings Desired
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    • Country
    • Parts that can be reused
    • Do you need an OS?
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?

Example build, now this is using up all of your budget. Can be tweaked to cost less but still perform well depending on your needs, needing an OS etc. acn do smaller SSD, more storage, 520W PSU if you don't intend to CF/SLI, different motherboard in that case etc.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 90.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($114.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.60 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($93.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($186.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($392.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($84.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1496.45
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-17 08:57 EST-0500)
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-02-17 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    You are not really being helpful towards OP, don't confuse him because you think it's "funny" to "play with his money". No offense but just drop it and lets make sure OP gets help instead.
    Oh I'm pretty sure my post and the person I quoted was being rather helpful towards OP. Now he got to see two different opinions to why and why not to get a certain build and he can make a conclusion based of that. It's not like we picked a build and just left. Nah, shit was explained and argued about why and why not to go that route, which is helpful in every aspect. There really isn't any point in arguing about opinions when they are just that, opinions.

But I apologize for my personal opinion. Good day,sir.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    But I apologize for my personal opinion. Good day,sir.
    The point Notarget was making was that your build just was not compatible. Tri-channel ram in a dual channel board/architecture? Laptop HDD? $300 MB with features OP will not need at all?

Back to OP: Notarget's build above is spot on and very good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    The point Notarget was making was that your build just was not compatible. Tri-channel ram in a dual channel board/architecture? Laptop HDD? $300 MB with features OP will not need at all?

Back to OP: Notarget's build above is spot on and very good.
    Wasn't arguing about that build but the one I did 2 posts below, but whatever :> (Just noticed I took a 2'5 HDD. Mah bad, haha)
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-02-17 at 03:29 PM.

I am by no means an expert but here is another option that has everything except a monitor.
    pcpartpicker. com/p/E5zw

You have to take the space out of it, I can't post links yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudal View Post
    I am by no means an expert but here is another option that has everything except a monitor.
    pcpartpicker. com/p/E5zw

You have to take the space out of it, I can't post links yet.
    lol, are you kidding?
    Last edited by Toffie; 2013-02-17 at 04:44 PM.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Stop suggesting i5. MicroCenter has the i7 3770k for $229 and that is their NORMAL price.

(@ any future posters)
    Last edited by Prag; 2013-02-17 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Setting Sun View Post
    I'm building my first PC ever. My budget is roughly 1000-1500$. I am preparing for the upcoming Elder Scrolls MMO, and will be using it for streaming and some youtube casting as well, but mostly gaming. I need some knowledgable friends to step forward and give me a hand picking parts for my price range and with PC building in general.

Thanks guys! throw some posts at me!
    I know it's getting snippy, however a lot of it's good advice overall.

As a first time builder, I'd do a lot of research into building. It's not that hard, but if you do your due diligence, it'll make that much easier. Check out some videos on building on youtube. NewEgg has some good ones on building too.

Other things to think about. How many games are you going to play? If Elder Scrolls isn't going to be the only game, and if you have a couple of other games, and/or another mmo, I'd consider going to a 250gb ssd to give you some extra room for expansions or other games you might want to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Stop suggesting i5. MicroCenter has the i7 3770k for $229 and that is their NORMAL price.

(@ any future posters)
    That's suggesting that everyone has a MC near them to take advantage of that offer, which most people don't. Anyways, we still haven't heard back from the O.P with regards to what he actually needs, so until then we should all stop arguing over builds.

10+ Year Old Account
    <snip> I'm sure that you guys example builds are also based entirely around what you need and use, thus a 3.2 TB storage capability, optical drives and legit OS's.
    The 3.2 TB comes into the fact that he said he is going to upload to youtube, the 120gb ssd boot drive, 1tb WD blue for primary storage drive and the 2tb WD green purely for raw fraps footage, being new to building i'm not expecting him to be diligent with cleaning drives (personally I use less than 200gb 90% of the time) and legit OS is just easier for a first time builder.