Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Language barriers and Tribunal

Went to tribunal - got intro/info that said something along the lines of "Dont vote on issues where you cannot understand the language"

I found that, quite broad, sentence annoying little.
    Of course I am going to vote on(punish or not) issues where person refuses to talk english (while rest of the team does) and is reported on issues like not working with team or negative attitude.
    I just dont see why people should have semi-get-away-from-jail card just because they do not communicate on team game but use language "I dont understand".

Or am I being bit of douche here expecting people to speak it and not really wanting to skip cases because of that?

Oh and yeah, I am not going to vote on issues where whole team speaks same language and reports stuff like negative attitude (or doesnt speak during whole game and gets voted that), that's given.

So I guess bottom line: Is it morally wrong to vote on cases(whether pardon or punish) where the issue is lack of communicating due language used

10+ Year Old Account
    Well for a refusing to communicate report, sure, it's quite easy if one person speaks spanish while the rest don't. On other reports though I would skip them, because you don't know what's being said and that person could be unfairly banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't found this to be a problem on the NA server much when I do tribunal reports (though I don't do it very often).

I don't think it's right to punish someone for not speaking the language everyone else does. If they type in both, and show that they know whatever language is being used primarily, then ya maybe, but I otherwise I wouldn't punish.

If the report is for flaming or something, I just leave the case for someone that speaks that language as well, for them to judge whether it was flaming or not

10+ Year Old Account
    I asked Lyte a while ago. It's part of the reason we get to "skip" cases.

Apparently there's enough people of a single language running around to be able to deal with those cases.

It would be an issue, but Riot doesn't really care much and sloshes everyone together in one big massive server, so how can you blame a Spanish speaker for getting on your team, when he had no choice?

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    It would be an issue, but Riot doesn't really care much and sloshes everyone together in one big massive server, so how can you blame a Spanish speaker for getting on your team, when he had no choice?
    mfw he can just change what region server hes using so that doesn't work.

I'm french canadian, when I play with my friend and he can't get on skype for whatever reason, I'll speak to him in french in chat, and nobody will stop me from doing that. I can express myself in english without any issue and will do so if I need to, but I won't stop myself from talking in french in chat just to please other people which I'm not talking to.

If I get reported simply because of this and you decide to punish me, OP, then yes, you're a douche, and a big one on top of that. There's a "skip" option, and in the same rules you read telling you to not vote when you don't understand the language, it also says "Skip is a great option". Whenever I'm not 100% sure of what I should do, being because of language or anything else (not sure if what the guy did is a bannable offense), I just skip. And OP, you should too...

Quote Originally Posted by Hellishreaper View Post
    mfw he can just change what region server hes using so that doesn't work.
    Since when can he change regions from the North American client to anything other than Europe, Asia or Brazil?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Since when can he change regions from the North American client to anything other than Europe, Asia or Brazil?
    changing the region actually brings up 2 (two) drop down menus. one for region, and one for language. the EU West region actually gives a language of Espanol. or switch to Brazil for Portugues. these are options to players that have no basic english understanding (or even desire to use it). if you play a North American server, you are basically suggesting that you know enough english to communicate simple instructions. MIA, BOT, Dragon, WARD, gank.. and most importantly please and thank you. purposely refusing to speak english on a NA server, just because you dont feel like it, is "refusing to communicate" and should be reported.

dont confuse what i said with what Damaros above me said, speaking your preferred language to a friend or teammate that understands you is fine. but im sure even that person would acknowledge other teammates in english, even if its just things like "Hi, MIA, Back, please or thank you".

having said that, when i do tribunals, if i cant read any of it at all. at least to make out what the report was for, then i skip it. there are other people around that do tribunals and can understand what was being said to give them a fair review.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2013-02-17 at 12:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Deleted
    Sorry for complete offtopic.

I like your name.

Depending on the amount of foreign language used, I sometimes turn to Google Translate. While it's not perfect, it's often enough to judge if a person is flaming or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaros View Post
    I'm french canadian, when I play with my friend and he can't get on skype for whatever reason, I'll speak to him in french in chat, and nobody will stop me from doing that. I can express myself in english without any issue and will do so if I need to, but I won't stop myself from talking in french in chat just to please other people which I'm not talking to.

If I get reported simply because of this and you decide to punish me, OP, then yes, you're a douche, and a big one on top of that. There's a "skip" option, and in the same rules you read telling you to not vote when you don't understand the language, it also says "Skip is a great option". Whenever I'm not 100% sure of what I should do, being because of language or anything else (not sure if what the guy did is a bannable offense), I just skip. And OP, you should too...
    Well I am not really voting on issues where person makes effort to try communicating with other team as well (for better or worse..seen many cases where person is only speaking their language and then at the end going "king noobs you fed").

Its just bit of odd issue where I feel like some people get possibly out-of-jail card, expecting their fellow countrymen to report them instead.

I skip:
    People who try to make effort communicating still with other team - dont care of grammar etc.
    Whole team speaks the language (or one person doesnt mind it by being silent (usually me))

Deleted
    I know the swearwords in some other languages, easy to spot
    If it's all in Polish/Russian I just pass the case if it isn't an obvious feed fest (6 boots 0/20).

I'll only report refusing to communicate when someone is speaking a different language to the rest of the team, if they have been asked to speak in a different language.

Interestingly, if 4 people are speaking Spanish, and one person is speaking English and gets reported for refusing to communicate, what do you do?
    RETH

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    I'll only report refusing to communicate when someone is speaking a different language to the rest of the team, if they have been asked to speak in a different language.

Interestingly, if 4 people are speaking Spanish, and one person is speaking English and gets reported for refusing to communicate, what do you do?
    You pardon, you can't report someone for speaking the proper language of an international game, on an international server, because the other four can't be bothered to speak said language.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm from Croatia and I play with my Croatian friends on the NA server because of a mistake the first of us did over 2 years ago (downloaded wrong client and figured it out when he recruited me and we suddenly couldn't find eachother in the game and that was way before the Change Server client option).

We speak Croatian in chat when we're discussing between ourselves something that's not important for the rest of the team, but when we're talking about something that's for everyone we always use English. And we typically switch to English if someone in the team angrily insists on it.

For Tribunal cases, I personally don't have serious issues because I understand Spanish, Italian, German and some eastern European languages. Still, I would punish it only when it's refusing to communicate with the team or offensive language and then I'd read the chat log a few times to be sure.

Deleted
    If you cannot fully read whats going on, don't pass judgement on it and skip it. Can't judge on something you don't have all the facts for after all.

I've been reported in at least 2 occasions where the rest of the team were speaking some other language ( European servers here mind you, so we deal with language barriers often ). -Usually- if I point out to people that I only speak English, they'll speak in English ( or at least try their best ), but on 2 occasions I was paired up with a group of 4 French people and a group of 4 Spaniards who were all utter arseholes, and flamed and berated me when I asked them to speak in English when they talked tactics to keep me clued in. I really don't feel I was refusing to communicate, and should not be punished as such.

edit : I forgot to be clear here, obviously you speak English, and could understand the one English speaker in that situation, the point is that could happen with other combos, 4 Swedes speaking Swedish, and one Portuguese guy who doesn't, for example, and if you can't read what that 1 guy is saying, you may judge him very unfairly

When in doubt : skip, thats my opinion anyways.
    Last edited by mmocaeb62f0e94; 2013-02-18 at 01:46 PM.

Deleted
    Of course I would prefer my team to speak English, and if you are not going to say a word throughout the whole game, that's also fair enough (though not really preferable).
    What I really think is reportable though is if a group of people clearly showed that they speak English fluently, yet decides to talk about tactical choices and objectives with their native language in the chat, just because they are too lazy or ignorant to type in English.
    Also, if you are gonna spam the chat with foreign language, at least tell beforehand (assuming you are capable of it) that the chat you have going is not related to the game so your team mates doesn't get confused or offended by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... i find it kind of annoying, and sometimes is also kind of unfair, you should not report that person just because he don't speak english, i have been in many cases where i'm playing with my friends (we all speak spanish) and there's one guy that does not speak spanish and he DEMAND us to speak english too or "LEARN 2 SPEAK ENGLISH NOOB!", but... why the hell should we start talking in english? if you don't understand is not my problem!

Note: Most of the time i try to speak english or at least i try to say one or 2 things in english to let the others team menbers know what we are doing BTW my friends don't speak english...

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 08:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    You pardon, you can't report someone for speaking the proper language of an international game, on an international server, because the other four can't be bothered to speak said language.
    Wait wait wait... the proper language? You know is an international game cause.... it is INTERNATIONAL so English is not the proper language.
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2013-02-18 at 02:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    i have been in many cases where i'm playing with my friends (we all speak spanish) and there's one guy that does not speak spanish and he DEMAND us to speak english too or "LEARN 2 SPEAK ENGLISH NOOB!", but... why the hell should we start talking in english? if you don't understand is not my problem!
    ok granted, it's not nice when the one guy who doesn't speak the language is an ass about it, but keep in mind that it can be -really- intimidating knowing you're the odd one out, and everyone else on the team is friends or at least friendly enough with each other to communicate. If you're the odd one out, you immediately go on the defensive ( which explains the terrible behaviour by some people in these cases, though it doesn't excuse it ). I personally don't scream demands or throw the word noob around, I always try to be polite about asking people to speak English ( because I'm by no means a LoL pro, and try to draw as little attention to myself as possible, I'm not going to be screaming blue murder at people, if I know I'm probably going to get my arse whooped in the game :P )

it's better for the whole team if everyone is speaking the same language though. So, no, it's not your fault if that one guy doesn't understand the language you're speaking, but it certainly can become a problem for you, especially if you're not helping the situation by insisting on speaking the second language anyway. Then you're only making things worse in the long run :s

edit : random example situation I witnessed : 3 Germans, myself ( Irish, but English speaking ) and the fifth guy seemed to be Polish. The Germans were speaking to each other in German, I was pretty much silent the whole time due to the flu, the Polish guy got angry about the Germans speaking German, handled the situation badly when he rudely asked them to stop, the Germans decided to continue speaking German, and the Polish guy started playing lazily as a result. AFKing, not paying attention, and dying over and over ( whilst proclaiming that he didn't care and was feeding ).

Yes, the Polish guy was the immature child in this case, but the German lads weren't too far behind, and probably could have made things easier by just speaking in English ( which they demonstrated they could do ). If the Germans had been the bigger men and communicated in English, Mr Grumpy Polish would have not screwed the team over.
    Last edited by mmocaeb62f0e94; 2013-02-18 at 02:44 PM.