Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy T View Post
    it's better for the whole team if everyone is speaking the same language though. So, no, it's not your fault if that one guy doesn't understand the language you're speaking, but it certainly can become a problem for you, especially if you're not helping the situation by insisting on speaking the second language anyway. Then you're only making things worse in the long run :s
    Yeah i know, i most of the time i try to speak a little bit of english to let that person know what we want to do, or if that person wants to say something to one of my friends i try to translate what he say.

    BTW they do know the simple commands like: MIA, BOT, dragon, Gank, etc...

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 08:49 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy T View Post
    Yes, the Polish guy was the immature child in this case, but the German lads weren't too far behind, and probably could have made things easier by just speaking in English ( which they demonstrated they could do ). If the Germans had been the bigger men and communicated in English, Mr Grumpy Polish would have not screwed the team over.
    True, but you know that many people won't do as other wants if they got insulted, so in that case i won't blame the germans.
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2013-02-18 at 02:47 PM.

  2. #22
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Well... i find it kind of annoying, and sometimes is also kind of unfair, you should not report that person just because he don't speak english, i have been in many cases where i'm playing with my friends (we all speak spanish) and there's one guy that does not speak spanish and he DEMAND us to speak english too or "LEARN 2 SPEAK ENGLISH NOOB!", but... why the hell should we start talking in english? if you don't understand is not my problem!

    Note: Most of the time i try to speak english or at least i try to say one or 2 things in english to let the others team menbers know what we are doing BTW my friends don't speak english...

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 08:33 AM ----------



    Wait wait wait... the proper language? You know is an international game cause.... it is INTERNATIONAL so English is not the proper language.
    I understand your case, but are you on the english speaking american server? If so, the english speaking guy is doing the right thing, being on the correct server, while your friends are the problem.

    Also, LoL was made in the U.S., with the game being coded in english. I'm pretty sure that constitutes that english is the universal language of LoL (we don't say gank, ward, mia, etc in other languages).

  3. #23
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    I understand your case, but are you on the english speaking american server? If so, the english speaking guy is doing the right thing, being on the correct server, while your friends are the problem.

    Also, LoL was made in the U.S., with the game being coded in english. I'm pretty sure that constitutes that english is the universal language of LoL (we don't say gank, ward, mia, etc in other languages).
    You may be right, but you know that is not like we can select an option to only group with spanish speakers, also why does that guy have to insult us and not just ask kindly to speak english? If a stranger insult you in the street are you going to do what he say?

    BTW we do use Mia, gank, ward, etc when we talk in spanish (at least everyone who plays in LoL or Dota in Dominican Republic use those words)

    Edit: also you know that the fact that it was made in the U.S and that the game is coded in english is not an actual reason... right? is like saying that a game that was made in Japan and coded in japanesse and that was then tranlate to others language is only for people who speak japanesse (You can play LoL in others language -Change the program language-)
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2013-02-18 at 03:57 PM.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post

    Also, LoL was made in the U.S., with the game being coded in english. I'm pretty sure that constitutes that english is the universal language of LoL (we don't say gank, ward, mia, etc in other languages).
    thats a bit of a weak argument really :s What happens to the millions of people who don't speak English, for which there are no specific language servers/support ? Language barriers are always a bit of a grey area, because you start entering the "human rights" territory when you start throwing around the idea of strict language rules.

  5. #25
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,005
    *shrug* If it happens to me, I just say "If you want me to understand as well, please use English". I even do that if they are speaking my own language.

    That way, if they do continue, I can safely assume it's not aimed at me and can happily ignore it.

  6. #26
    I get some French people on our games in the EUWest.

    My French is not the best but I understand a little bit. If we get them speaking in said moonspeak then we happily let them get on with it. Until they flame usually for something. Then it is a simple Anglais? If they continue to speak in french we let them get on with it. We keep things simple, SS/ward/gank/baron/dragon with pings backing up those statements.

    Usually most people type in English. Even if its horribly poor English I am happy that they attempt to do it. It certainly is better than my moonspeak.

  7. #27
    There is no possibility to choose teammates speaking certain language nor it is required for someone to accept "Yes I will speak English" when they start / install game. Thus your argument to punish someone for not speaking English "because LoL was made in US" (that is pretty amazing reason) is absolutely invalid. I often play premade with my brother and we speak polish in chat. If there is language nazi in our team, we inform him that any team messages will be given in english. If he still yells ENGLISH, we mute him. Simple and clear.

  8. #28
    I hope the new ping system will help out with some communication on EUW, which is awesome but VERY diverse when it comes to language sometimes. Still, there's always someone who speaks for whole premade group or attempts to communicate. Not so hard

  9. #29
    The Patient
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    237
    My decision tree for these cases goes like this:
    What language is the report in?
    -> English -> Investigate
    -> What language is the person being reported speaking?
    -> English -> Investigate and conclusion on pardon or punish, usually pardon though. People are too sensitive and need to learn to man up and stop being crybabies
    -> Not English/Broken English -> Punish
    -> Not English/Broken English -> Pardon

  10. #30
    okay so the language thing in the tribunal is pretty easy:

    "do you understand the written language?"

    yes/no

    if yes -> judge
    if no -> skip

    for Europe there are two regions: west and nordic & east.
    the only thing selecting a language does is translate everything in the game into the supported language.

    if you believe there's a spanish-only server out there you're vastly misinformed

    so once again: if you do not understand the language being spoken do not judge the case. there's plenty of native speakers reading the tribunal that can judge the case.

  11. #31
    it's much easier:

    reported person speaking French? Punish!

  12. #32
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Red Buff
    Posts
    2,015
    If I see someone not speaking English the entire game, I'll punish. Is he barely speaking English? I'll punish anyway. The only reason I'd pardon someone not speaking English for the majority of the game is if they're still communicating, as in talking about strategies such as whether or not to push, going drake, nashor, who builds what and such. If all I see is him calling "ss" while not saying anything else I'll press punish.

    The tribunal is about whether I want the reported person a part of the community. I don't want a guy who cannot be arsed to speak the most common international language in my games.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    If I see someone not speaking English the entire game, I'll punish. Is he barely speaking English? I'll punish anyway. The only reason I'd pardon someone not speaking English for the majority of the game is if they're still communicating, as in talking about strategies such as whether or not to push, going drake, nashor, who builds what and such. If all I see is him calling "ss" while not saying anything else I'll press punish.

    The tribunal is about whether I want the reported person a part of the community. I don't want a guy who cannot be arsed to speak the most common international language in my games.
    I hope you know more than one language otherwise it's a dick-ish assumption, and everyone speaking other language could say the same to you.

  14. #34
    Pandaren Monk Zogarth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaros View Post
    I'm french canadian, when I play with my friend and he can't get on skype for whatever reason, I'll speak to him in french in chat, and nobody will stop me from doing that. I can express myself in english without any issue and will do so if I need to, but I won't stop myself from talking in french in chat just to please other people which I'm not talking to.

    If I get reported simply because of this and you decide to punish me, OP, then yes, you're a douche, and a big one on top of that. There's a "skip" option, and in the same rules you read telling you to not vote when you don't understand the language, it also says "Skip is a great option". Whenever I'm not 100% sure of what I should do, being because of language or anything else (not sure if what the guy did is a bannable offense), I just skip. And OP, you should too...
    I personally find you a douche. If you wanna talk to him in private whisp him, write to him over skype, be on skype with him. Don't write in chat if the rest of your team is english. I find this common courtesy. I myself is no a pro at english, but I will always speak english in chat even if i play with RL mates. There was even a time where i played with 3 mates, so we had one english speaking guy on the team. I told my friends to all talk english in chat, no matter how much easier they would find it to speak danish. Common courtesy. Show respect for others. I personally hate it when others speak different languages. Just speak english... the majority does it, and so should you.

  15. #35
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Red Buff
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by StNimrod View Post
    I hope you know more than one language otherwise it's a dick-ish assumption, and everyone speaking other language could say the same to you.
    I'm Danish, I speak some German, and a little French, and ofcourse English.

    And what exactly am I assuming?

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    I'm Danish, I speak some German, and a little French, and ofcourse English.

    And what exactly am I assuming?
    Well, if English was your first and well, only language you would seem to me as "Speak mah language or I rprt u" person. Just saying, plenty of ignorant people on the internets.

  17. #37
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Red Buff
    Posts
    2,015
    Quote Originally Posted by StNimrod View Post
    Well, if English was your first and well, only language you would seem to me as "Speak mah language or I rprt u" person. Just saying, plenty of ignorant people on the internets.
    I still don't get it.

    Even if English was my native tongue I'd problaly feel the same way. It's the most common international language used. And as Zogarth so nicely put it just above, it's simple manners and respect towards others to just speak English outside of private chatrooms/voicecomms.

  18. #38
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivalion View Post
    If I see someone not speaking English the entire game, I'll punish. Is he barely speaking English? I'll punish anyway. The only reason I'd pardon someone not speaking English for the majority of the game is if they're still communicating, as in talking about strategies such as whether or not to push, going drake, nashor, who builds what and such. If all I see is him calling "ss" while not saying anything else I'll press punish.

    The tribunal is about whether I want the reported person a part of the community. I don't want a guy who cannot be arsed to speak the most common international language in my games.
    Read the instructions again. It *explicitely* says to skip the case if you do not understand the language. That has nothing to do with your preference, and everything with apparently not understanding enough english yourself to follow simple instructions. Which would be a bit ironical, considering the discussion at hand.

  19. #39
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Near the Red Buff
    Posts
    2,015
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...62212#35062212

    "The Tribunal is controlled by the community behavior standard."

    I don't care if it says that or not. I'll vote punish if someone's not communicating in English simply because I don't want said person in my games.

  20. #40
    Elemental Lord Duilliath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moonglade
    Posts
    8,005
    So... does the community agree with you?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •