Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Having finally managed to actually clear a few gold modes yesterday; I understand the effort that must have been put in to get this done. Very well done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theiea View Post
    Pretty clever strat to get the damage buff stack high and reset the run. Well done.
    Clever? I suppose even if its an exploit since resetting should clear all debuffs. But I won't give any kudos to people that need to exploit and brag/share their accomplishment as if it is something to be proud of.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-02-17 at 02:39 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    While this trick is very good, your boss dps was ridicilious low at the first boss & someone with a similiar strategy will beat you on the first run :/
    Doubt it would be on their first run. But it can be improved.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    While this trick is very good, your boss dps was ridicilious low at the first boss & someone with a similiar strategy will beat you on the first run :/
    I wouldn't call a 20 second boss kill ridiculous low DPS, but the main thing is it's a collective thing, sure maybe we can improve a bit on that section but that boss fight alone is not the key of the instance and the time which follows. Also keep in mind we cant hero or pre-pot like most people do on that boss.

That micromanagement is insane. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by klaps_05 View Post
    i personally think challenge modes need more attention and better rewards and more realmwide recognition.
    They really do. Like speedrunning in all games though, generally speaking it's very niche. The sheer difficulty creates a bit of a barrier.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Clever? I suppose even if its an exploit since resetting should clear all debuffs. But I won't give any kudos to people that need to exploit and brag/share their accomplishment as if it is something to be proud of.
    Oh lord here we go.

Just get out.

Deleted
    clever? I suppose even if its an exploit since resetting should clear all debuffs. But i won't give any kudos to people that need to exploit and brag/share their accomplishment as if it is something to be proud of.
    no items no fox final destination.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    Oh lord here we go.Just get out.
    What is impressive about finding a bug, and using that bug to do something?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

What is impressive about finding a bug, and using that bug to do something?
    Do you not understand the concept of speedrunning at all?

Have you ever watched famous speedruns of other games?

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you not understand the concept of speedrunning at all?Have you ever watched famous speedruns of other games?
    What does the concept of speed running have to do with is using an exploit impressive? If you have use a bug to get your fast run, why is that impressive or something to be proud of? Cheating to get a speed has no bearing on the concept of a speed run.

Deleted
    What does the concept of speed running have to do with is using an exploit impressive? If you have use a bug to get your fast run, why is that impressive or something to be proud of? Cheating to get a speed has no bearing on the concept of a speed run.
    I take it you don't watch any sort of Zelda speed running given that comment, because the only way to get the fastest times in the world is to 'exploit' or 'bug'. The achievement is being able to overcome obstacles together with co-ordination and have synergy within your group on top of all of that. Really the 'bugging' or 'exploiting' means nothing since it's a common denominator amongst everyone.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't understand why you're calling it cheating? I see nothing wrong here, they just reset the mobs, Big deal, that's not cheating, And they kept the buff? Big deal, also not cheating, Whenever I'm doing dailys, and if i find myself about to die, i shadowmeld, that resets the mobs, But if i have a debuff on me it stays, it doesn't disappear, so if debuffs stay i see no reason why buffs wont either, Your blind hatred is on your silly assumption that if you reset a mob it should clear buffs, which isn't true

Good Job OP Nice work, Ignore the silly ones, there are always the jealous one unfortunately =)
    Edit: It's also nice to finally open a "world record/first" thread on MMO-champ and it be real lol, rather than someone assuming they have a record

Deleted
    Is there anything stopping you from resetting multiple times to get the debuff even higher before you start?

The entire concept of speedrunning is to use whatever you can possibly find in the game to complete it as fast as possible. It doesn't matter if it was intended or not, as long as you're not using any external programs or content to gain an edge.

These guys took the game and data given to them, and found the fastest way to clear the instance with what was given to them. That's what speedrunning is about, and this run is a great example of finding every possible edge within the game to do so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paraalso View Post
    Is there anything stopping you from resetting multiple times to get the debuff even higher before you start?
    Yes. There's a cooldown on resetting Challenge Modes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    I don't understand why you're calling it cheating? I see nothing wrong here, they just reset the mobs, Big deal, that's not cheating, And they kept the buff? Big deal, also not cheating, Whenever I'm doing dailys, and if i find myself about to die, i shadowmeld, that resets the mobs, But if i have a debuff on me it stays, it doesn't disappear, so if debuffs stay i see no reason why buffs wont either, Your blind hatred is on your silly assumption that if you reset a mob it should clear buffs, which isn't true
    Because resetting an instance isn't the same as shadow melding out of combat. Resetting the instance is supposed to be exactly the same as if you just zoned into a fresh instance. It isn't supposed to allow you to farm a stacking debuff then zerg and kite to keep that debuff. That is why it is cheating because something that should be cleared isn't being cleared.

They aren't resetting a mob, they are resetting an instance. There is a big difference between the two.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 11:20 AM ----------

The entire concept of speedrunning is to use whatever you can possibly find in the game to complete it as fast as possible. It doesn't matter if it was intended or not, as long as you're not using any external programs or content to gain an edge. These guys took the game and data given to them, and found the fastest way to clear the instance with what was given to them. That's what speedrunning is about, and this run is a great example of finding every possible edge within the game to do so.
    I'm not denying that they ran it the fastest. But there is a huge difference between cheating to do something and legitimately doing something. Cheating isn't a requirement of speed running. They are exploiting the fact that a debuff isn't resetting when they reset the entire instance. Great they can cheat their way into the fast time. That isn't something to brag about when you have to cheat in order to get 1st place.

Why can't they speed run without using a cheat? They would still be doing it the fastest. They would still be using every legitimate edge within the game to do so.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xih View Post
    I take it you don't watch any sort of Zelda speed running given that comment, because the only way to get the fastest times in the world is to 'exploit' or 'bug'. The achievement is being able to overcome obstacles together with co-ordination and have synergy within your group on top of all of that. Really the 'bugging' or 'exploiting' means nothing since it's a common denominator amongst everyone.
    So the only way to get the fastest times is to cheat, well duh. If no one cheated then you could get the fastest Zelda time by not cheating. You can't cheat at logic. I'm not saying cheating doesn't gain you anything. I'm saying it doesn't give you any bragging rights or any real accomplishment. Because you cheated your way there. Why can't you get the fast legitimate no cheating time? Why do you think the only way you can be best in the world is by cheating your way there?

Deleted
    Now you know what you gotta do: Get to 50 stacks and reset .

Deleted
    So the only way to get the fastest times is to cheat, well duh. If no one cheated then you could get the fastest Zelda time by not cheating. You can't cheat at logic. I'm not saying cheating doesn't gain you anything. I'm saying it doesn't give you any bragging rights or any real accomplishment. Because you cheated your way there. Why can't you get the fast legitimate no cheating time? Why do you think the only way you can be best in the world is by cheating your way there?
    There is nothing stopping anyone else doing exactly what we did. It's a common denominator amongst us all, it's a level playing field, I'm not sure whats so wrong with that (if anything?) and why you don't understand it, since this kinda of thing is extremely common with speed running in any game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xih View Post
    There is nothing stopping anyone else doing exactly what we did. It's a common denominator amongst us all, it's a level playing field, I'm not sure whats so wrong with that (if anything?) and why you don't understand it, since this kinda of thing is extremely common with speed running in any game.
    There's nothing stopping anyone from using any bug in the game, but that doesn't make it right. Clearly since you beat the previous best by 2 minutes, not everyone is using this exploit.