Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    The Lightbringer Grym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in UK where there is chicken
    Posts
    3,025
    Just do it the easy way, post that video on Blizzard forum and ask if that is OK, if they think that is OK, then it is OK I guess.

    Afterall it is down to Blizzard to decide, so doesn't matter who think is cheating and who think it is not here.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    Cheating would insinuate that the other people competing can't do what you did to achieve the same result.
    Nice try Lance.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Miatela View Post
    Nice try Lance.
    If there is a rule in place and you break it, then yes, you're cheating.

    Now direct yourself to my previous post describing the rules of speedrunning.

  4. #64
    Warchief Asmodias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    2,153
    Impressive time. Very impressive time. Props where props are due!


    Uber Casual | Avatar and Signature by Shyama

  5. #65
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,443
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    The rules of speedrunning are as follows:

    Don't use third party software/hardware or anything else outside of the game to gain an edge.
    Get from the beginning to the end.

    That's it. Anything else that can possibly happen is fair game.
    I'm sorry if you can't accept what speedrunning is.
    Why can't you use software or hardware to gain an edge? Did they do their run with a standard two button mouse? Standard keyboard? Did any have a naga or multi button mouse? Did they use WoWhead to research abilities? Did they use chat rooms to talk about what to do before hand? Your rules are arbitrary because you are creating them to allow cheating.

    When does the timer for a run actual start? When you start the run (first zone in to start stacking the debuff) or when you start the timer after you reset it to gain an advantage? Either way it doesn't add up to the fastest speed run because the timer is inaccurate to the actual time spent doing the run.

    Also they used addons, which are third party software, to complete their run. It broke your own rules and is therefore cheating. Or are you going to now create new rules?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  6. #66
    I'm honestly not a fan of your strat. It's clever, but it's very obviously against the very spirit of fair game. Since you keep talking about RPG/consoel speedruns, it's like if you could do Chrono Trigger, then somehow keep Masamune/Rainbow Sword or some random weapon and start over in a new game without selecting NG+. That'd just be stupid, and that's more or less the same concept - do a run beforehand, keep an advantage from that run, and do another run using said advantage from the previous run.. well duh. Everyone is supposed to be at the same starting point. You can't use something that makes your starting point further advanced than the other people. That's just.... not really within the spirit. You start at X and have to do anything you can do to go Z, you can't start at Y.

    That being said, as said before, it's clever.
    Last edited by Mionelol; 2013-02-17 at 05:31 PM.

  7. #67
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,484
    Nice job. Don't worry about the small people that complain about cheating/exploiting whenever something is done in the non-obvious and non-intended way.

  8. #68
    not that you wouldn't see the record time if you wanted to anyway
    Heltobob EU - Blackrock
    Most people who see Pokemon aren't taken seriously. I'm one of the ones who does thorough investigations though as I've had many encounters with Pokemon throughout my life. Even today there was a wild Pidgey in the trees. It could have just been a crow, but I'm pretty sure it was a Pidgey. Pokemon absolutely exist. (Letmesleep in the "I have a ghost." thread)

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Just do it the easy way, post that video on Blizzard forum and ask if that is OK, if they think that is OK, then it is OK I guess.

    Afterall it is down to Blizzard to decide, so doesn't matter who think is cheating and who think it is not here.
    A previous record was set using the reset trick but they didn't stack it by kiting. The response was pretty much "hey, nicely done!"

    The butthurt pedants here are just that. It's up to people wanting fast runs to find what gives an edge. As long as that available to anyone with the skill to master it then I can't see how people can even think its cheating.

    If people want to get arsey over something then they should whine about dk's controlling undead in SM and raping the instance with it at high stacks.

    I didn't say it, big grats to the guys that managed this. Very impressive.

  10. #70
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,443
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    The butthurt pedants here are just that. It's up to people wanting fast runs to find what gives an edge. As long as that available to anyone with the skill to master it then I can't see how people can even think its cheating.
    But why is it a fast run when they've already spent X time doing a run? You have to aid the time they spent getting the debuff to the time they started the counter for the true time of the speed run. Anything else is just manipulating the clock to give yourself a faster time. Which is why it is cheating and why it isn't a legitimate time.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  11. #71
    I don't see how people liken this to cheating in sports and such, which are one-time competitive events.

    Challenge Modes are an ongoing event. Anyone can come in and beat someone else's time at any point. That includes any point after the discovery of certain tactics that can cut some more time off the clock. It's not like these guys got the world record time through 'cheating' and it's unbreakable.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Why can't you use software or hardware to gain an edge? Did they do their run with a standard two button mouse? Standard keyboard? Did any have a naga or multi button mouse? Did they use WoWhead to research abilities? Did they use chat rooms to talk about what to do before hand? Your rules are arbitrary because you are creating them to allow cheating.

    When does the timer for a run actual start? When you start the run (first zone in to start stacking the debuff) or when you start the timer after you reset it to gain an advantage? Either way it doesn't add up to the fastest speed run because the timer is inaccurate to the actual time spent doing the run.

    Also they used addons, which are third party software, to complete their run. It broke your own rules and is therefore cheating. Or are you going to now create new rules?
    You sound mad.

    Its not like this group of 5 were the first 5 people to use this "Trick" or "Cheat" as you like to put it, when it clearly isn't. The resetting of the instance to start with a stack of like 15 or so, is a common thing for getting Gold in Siege, this group of 5 took that one step further and kept the debuff the entire dungeon, which took skill.

    The Resetting of the instance has no reason to reset the debuff, there is no block of code that states > if enterDungeon(0, 0) { clearDebuff } < as you seem to think there is, you can enter plenty of dungeons with a full row of DoT's from a warlock on you and then proceed to die, common knowledge at this point to use the debuff as a buffer.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But why is it a fast run when they've already spent X time doing a run? You have to aid the time they spent getting the debuff to the time they started the counter for the true time of the speed run. Anything else is just manipulating the clock to give yourself a faster time. Which is why it is cheating and why it isn't a legitimate time.
    I disagree. So does Blizzard and thats what matters.

    You can keep hammering your opinion down peoples throats but I think people are polarized atm so it won't change much.

  14. #74
    is that not exploiting? i am sure the developers did not intend said buff to be obtained inside then instance reset and buff kept to have a clear advantage. personally i hope its fixed and you loose your ranking. a full or nearly 2 min ahead of the next rank group that ran it? yea thats exploiting only reason it hasnt been caught and done something about yet is... you guessed it nobody cares about challenge modes
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    The rules of speedrunning are as follows:

    Don't use third party software/hardware or anything else outside of the game to gain an edge.
    Get from the beginning to the end.

    That's it. Anything else that can possibly happen is fair game.
    I'm sorry if you can't accept what speedrunning is.
    they used addons so they fail right there end of story. Also the guy made a brand new account to brag about how they cheated to get a World record lmao go outside and play some more and maybe cheating to get a world record on a video game wont be the highlight of your life.

  16. #76
    This will be fixed soon and I can see the time being removed. Clearly an exploit. And you think otherwise, post the video into the WOW forums.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...amutx/advanced

    "Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sometimes those opinions are wrong though." Daxxarri

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    but their dps through the rest of the instance is 300-500% higher than others...which makes all the difference, and anyway anyone using this tactic is just copying, copying being the greatest form of flattery.
    No offense, but this 'strat' is obvious to everyone who has ever done the instance. Doesn't make it less impressive to see, but believe me, everyone who cares about records knows HOW to do niuzao.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by kos1085 View Post
    This will be fixed soon and I can see the time being removed. Clearly an exploit.
    The debuff not resetting has worked for a VERY long time and has been something that nearly EVERY SINGLE Siege i've ever done, has been said by some one in the group "Want to reset for the debuff?" Sounds like common knowledge to me.

    Clever use of game mechanics.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    they used addons so they fail right there end of story.
    stopped reading....blah blah weak arguement.

  20. #80
    Pit Lord Drarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden, Gothenburg, Stormrage
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowe View Post
    While this trick is very good, your boss dps was ridicilious low at the first boss & someone with a similiar strategy will beat you on the first run :/
    No lust, you usualy lust on the first boss. and they still beat my record on that boss my like, 6-8 seconds. everything counts.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •