Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Navitas View Post
    Care to explain why bugging this buff will give CM more longevity than if they remove it.
    Because there is a finite amount you can do to improve by just running these instances normally, the speed runs that people are interested in currently like Mario 64 and such all clearly use methods of completing the game not intended by the developer.

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    A clear exploit used to get the fastest speed in the world, beating the old record by 2 minutes? You do realize you pretty much targeted yourself and your friends, begging to get banned and the record removed by Blizzard?
    This is most definitely in the clever use of game mechanics category, maybe the will do something about the ranking (although I'm doubtful) but they most definitely will not be banned.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    but their dps through the rest of the instance is 300-500% higher than others...which makes all the difference, and anyway anyone using this tactic is just copying, copying being the greatest form of flattery.
    Depends on weither it will be fixed or not...this is basicly exploiting, and people have been suspended for doing it in raids. If this was a race for world first boss kill in raids, this would be a 100% sure suspension.

That said, really clever...but I still don't think this kill is legit, and should be fixed (keeping stacks on reset).

Why are people bringing up old single player games to use in comparison to an active online paid subscription game? Can't do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good idea with the buff stacking

But terrible as fuck for having to reset to "bug it"..

I'd have to disagree with this time and say it was a sham.

Quote Originally Posted by Klog View Post
    Why are people bringing up old single player games to use in comparison to an active online paid subscription game? Can't do it.
    Because it's become pretty popular over the last couple of years and was likely, at least partially, what influenced Blizzard to create challenge modes.

Deleted
    Amazing people think of this as a clear cut exploit worthy of a ban, at best it's up there with using a DK in SM. Maybe even keeping adds alive to spellsteal on Gar'jal. It's hardly Yogg-0 add bugging to completely avoid mechanics.

There's nothing stopping others from doing this. Is running Scholo to get the transformation also considered an exploit?

obviously a exploit where the stacks doesnt reset. Now wait for blizz to fix and record time will forever be unbeatable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flawless101 View Post
    There's nothing stopping others from doing this. Is running Scholo to get the transformation also considered an exploit?
    Of course not, that's how it's supposed to be. Resetting the instance to bug a buff is not supposed to happen. Bugs do happen, it's to be expected, but they should not be used like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ccKep View Post
    Let me ask you two-three simple questions:

Would you still call it cheating if those mobs were in front of the instance?
    If yes: How is bringing outside buffs any different from using foods / flasks / (invis) potions / items from MoP rares that CC enemies?
    If no: What difference does it make where you get your outside (as in "outside the run") buffs come from?
    Yes i would call it cheating.
    Neither consumables will add any noticeable time difference nor does it require you to reset the instance to make use of them....duuuh ? :P

Deleted
    From what I've seen all the WR times for this instance were using the reset tactic to get stacks. The difference between this run and the others is that they kept the stacks up for the entire duration of the instance.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    obviously a exploit where the stacks doesnt reset. Now wait for blizz to fix and record time will forever be unbeatable.
    and this is exactly why they wont fix it.

There's also a bug in Shadopan Monastery where you can all click the spirit thing after the third boss at the same time and get credit for clicking 4 of them
    Last edited by mmocb8305427e9; 2013-02-18 at 04:12 PM.

Deleted
    Of course not, that's how it's supposed to be. Resetting the instance to bug a buff is not supposed to happen. Bugs do happen, it's to be expected, but they should not be used like this.
    The transformation is a buff. Adds a hell of a lot of DPS at the end. I mean surely you should have to clear that room if you want to take advantage of the transformation?

Quote Originally Posted by RayuEU View Post
    Hello everyone,

After many hours of wiping, we finally managed to pull off our strategy of kiting adds throughout Siege of Niuzao Temple Challenge Mode in 10:17, a world record by nearly 2 minutes! Because only a small audience really cares about Challenge Modes I don't expect everyone to be enthousiastic, but I hope we inspire some people to come up with some insane strategies of themselves.

The video of our kill, from the perspectives of our tank Maeby and our hunter Xenios.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JWRzhgXiuA
    Congratulations mate. That trick you used was a touch of genius. And quite an impressive run overall.

However I am not certain it is not an exploit. The purpose of challenge modes as far as I can understand is to go through the dungeon with whatever happens in that, one, run that you complete the challenge. Having the buff stay on you after resetting the challenge seems like an omission from the developers, not a tactic meant to be implemented in the challenge.

If it is indeed an omission then the record shoud not be formal in my opinion. The bug should be fixed and the record taken away. Not as some form of punishment. Just because it was not done the way it was supposed to. Some people in this thread argue that timed-runs in other games usually involve cheats and bugs, but what they don't include in the conversation is the fact that almost none of those games were created with timed-runs in mind. Yes, you can bug Super Mario or Zelda, but the games were not intended for timed-runs. Even Metroid which includes such an element only does so up to a degree. Beyond that, records are only pursued by people that set out to achieve them on their own, while the games do not support any such runs. And even then, things such as tool-assisted runs are frowned upon. However, challenge modes are specifically designed as timed-runs. And have a set of rules governing them. This does not seem to be something permissable to me.

But, in case it is, then it's even sweeter. This kind of out-of-the-box thinking is something that the game desperately needs to be excitingly fun once more, and not just a points' grind as it is now. Even if it is not, I think that the developers should be inspired by this to shake things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The transformation is a buff. Adds a hell of a lot of DPS at the end. I mean surely you should have to clear that room if you want to take advantage of the transformation?
    "Transforms the imbiber, granting their attacks and spells a chance to cause additional Nature damage to the Darkmaster and his minions."

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=114800#comments

That one? Not exactly an exploit to be used.

Deleted
    "Transforms the imbiber, granting their attacks and spells a chance to cause additional Nature damage to the Darkmaster and his minions."

It's a dps boost on the last boss... why wouldn't you use it?

Quote Originally Posted by skitzy129 View Post
    They really do. Like speedrunning in all games though, generally speaking it's very niche. The sheer difficulty creates a bit of a barrier.

---------- Post added 2013-02-17 at 10:10 AM ----------

Oh lord here we go.

Just get out.
    I don't think it's the difficulty that's the barrier, but the stress of it. Getting Gold on itself isn't that complicated, and to my surprise I've found this quite enjoyable to do. At the same time I'm very sure I'm not returning to challenge modes after I finished them all on gold, which should be somewhere this week depending on the time my group has. Why? Because I generally don't deal well with time attack. Trying to better my own time records, or worse yet, better others' records, is so incredibly stressful. I believe time attack stuff is not that popular because of this, it IS very niche indeed. I suspect a lot of people are like me, do gold for the heck of it, and leave it be afterwards.

Anyway, good job! Siege was remarkably easy, I just finished that one gold barely two hours ago in a one-shot, but your tactic of course beat ours by, oh, a couple of minutes. xD Grats!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirque View Post
    I don't think it's the difficulty that's the barrier, but the stress of it. Getting Gold on itself isn't that complicated, and to my surprise I've found this quite enjoyable to do. At the same time I'm very sure I'm not returning to challenge modes after I finished them all on gold, which should be somewhere this week depending on the time my group has. Why? Because I generally don't deal well with time attack. Trying to better my own time records, or worse yet, better others' records, is so incredibly stressful. I believe time attack stuff is not that popular because of this, it IS very niche indeed. I suspect a lot of people are like me, do gold for the heck of it, and leave it be afterwards.

Anyway, good job! Siege was remarkably easy, I just finished that one gold barely two hours ago in a one-shot, but your tactic of course beat ours by, oh, a couple of minutes. xD Grats!
    This is my experience too, most people I ran golds with generally dont want to go back and try to get a better time, let alone wipe for hours trying to get a tactic to work. It is really stressful, because anyone can beat you at any given moment and you feel the need to go back and reclaim your record.

Deleted

My point is that, I assume, every competent group is getting the buff and using invis pots/belts to get through the room having already ran a normal mode to get the buff. The buff is a major DPS boost, I believe it did a solid 15% of my DPS, but I don't know of anyone to actually pull that room (maybe the last pack) in the CM to have access to the to the buff. Surely, this falls into the same realm as getting a buff from one instance/run to be used in another, which is at the end of the day what all this exploit talk is about.

Deleted
    A clear exploit used to get the fastest speed in the world, beating the old record by 2 minutes? You do realize you pretty much targeted yourself and your friends, begging to get banned and the record removed by Blizzard?

And please, don't compare challenge modes to speedruns in Zelda and such. Nobody cares about Zelda. People do care about challenge modes, as there are actually something to be gained from it. Blizzard has shown their distaste to exploits like these before.
    Banned for what exactly? Please show me the Terms of Service we broke. Also I'd bet my life on Zelda having a bigger following than WoW CMs considering there are frequent Zelda streams, some of which have 20k+ viewers which WoW almost never has, and not to mention Zelda has been out FAR LONGER than WoW.

Deleted
    My point is that, I assume, every competent group is getting the buff and using invis pots/belts to get through the room having already ran a normal mode to get the buff. The buff is a major DPS boost, I believe it did a solid 15% of my DPS, but I don't know of anyone to actually pull that room (maybe the last pack) in the CM to have access to the to the buff. Surely, this falls into the same realm as getting a buff from one instance/run to be used in another, which is at the end of the day what all this exploit talk is about.
    Not quite, the issues about this is that they reset the instance and reducing the time.
    That falls under the category of consumables, you dont have to reset the run. (just like pots, invis pots, foods, flasks etc)

Had they stacked that buff and kited troughout the dungeon without resetting and still beating it by 2 minutes, it would have been whole different ballgame.
    But they didnt...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xih View Post
    Did we reset the instance and do it in one pull after the buffs? I believe we did, you also can watch the video to see that. If you watch closely you will also see the timer for the run also resets when we reset it for the real run, but look closely, it's happens super fast so you miss it. Maybe you should explain your obscure logic behind 'true' time since you clearly don't understand how you are actually timed in challenge modes. I have to admit however, I should have put the lottery on since I was so damn lucky being able to randomly trap and hit my DPS buttons, because I clearly didn't understand the mechanic I used, I would have been a millionaire!
    My logic for true time is this:

Enter the instance to start killing things and gaining buffs from things only obtainable in a instance: Is the true start time.
    Reset timer for the run while keeping something not obtainable normally in the instance (higher then normal stacks): Is the start of the challenge time you got.

You have to add the two together because that reflects the true time you spent on your run. And not the time you spent doing the timed run. I know how timed runs work. I know how the game works. If you start doing a run to gain a buff then reset the run while keeping your buff you didn't really reset your run. You just reset the counter, and the "true" time is reflected in how long it took you to do the run and get the buff.

I mean just look how a video of nothing but your run is longer then the time for you run. That should be an indicator to you that your true timed run isn't 10:16 because you yourself produced is longer then your run.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."