Gathering Proffs RIP!

I know im being a bit hyperbole with this thread but is gathering professions almost obsolete thanks to farming in mop

Now i have alot of alts and i can farm every herb and what with the amount of produce being buffed in 5.2 it seems gathering is almost pointless

Sure if you dont have many alts like i do gathering will still be around but the ability to farm you own shit seems to make going out gathering herbs and ore a thing of the past

well Mining was screwed over in MOP from launch. We only really have ONE mineral.. Ghost Iron Ore. Trillium is so rare and ridiculous to make that it's a LOT easier to just transmute it on my alchemist. And to be honest Ghost Iron these days doesnt seem to have much use at all apart from Prospecting or turning in to Trillium. That and we don't get all of the additional motes we used to get from nodes in previous patches.

It's ridiculous for mining that out of the THREE mineral types in MoP, one is Alchemy only and the other is FAR easier to aquire for alchemists that it is for people mining it.

They should just remove it now and just make it part of Jewelcrafting.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't farm by herbing or mining. Hate it. Only do it when I feel I'm getting robbed on the AH with old mats. I have to admit though if I did, I'd be more concerned by the amount of botting that goes on and the way that drives down the prices. Regularly seeing 200 stacks of Green Tea Leaf on the AH for 27-30g a stack makes me seriously wonder why anybody would even TRY to compete with that.

Tending your farm, even with a ridiculous number of alts, has a finite amount of resource you can gain from it every day. Going out and doing your own mining/herbing doesn't have that cap so it's not going away any time soon.

Agree on the bullshit that Alchemy is butting into other professions.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

Deleted
    Yeah the only thing i use mining for is to smelt the ore from AH to bars so i can trans them into trillium and make living steel on 2 chars each day.

If Blizz ever decided to genuinely crack down on farming bots, gathering profs would become insanely lucrative overnight. It would flip most server economies on their head overnight.

Given that hasn't happened yet and the game is 8 years old, I think it's safe to say that using gathering professions to make gold isn't worth it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gathering professions aren't worth it to make gold and haven't been for quite a while.

My DK has been all 3 gathering profs at one point or another. Stays a miner, always, was only a skinner to do my leatherworker and became an herbalist to do alchemy x2 and inscription. I just refuse to spend thousands on bot farmers on this stuff.

There are a few things you can make money on from vanilla as far as herbs if you know the profession dead zones. Likewise you can make money on Fel Iron, still, why though I have no idea. With everything going ghost iron for leveling BS that nice niche is going bye bye though.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Gathering professions aren't worth it to make gold and haven't been for quite a while.
    Added to this, gathering profs have crummy perks compared to crafting ones and are (Even to WoW profession standards) neither fun nor interesting, the two benchmarks that Blizz supposedly holds every facet of the game to.

I'm thinking that Sunsong farm is a test: What will every player having access to profession resources he needs (Regardless of professions) do to the market of both raw materials and crafted items? And from the results of this "experiment" they'll change something about gathering professions (Or not, as the case may be), a bit like how the cooking "Level through vendor mats"-experiment now results in the BS "Level entirely through MoP-mats"-system

Unless you bot yourself gathering mats is a pointless timesink. Farm influence on economy is insignificant when there're dozens of bots farming 18/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Combooticus View Post
    Now i have alot of alts and i can farm every herb and what with the amount of produce being buffed in 5.2 it seems gathering is almost pointless
    What new changes are coming with patch ??

I'm a firm believer in all professions being useless except for alchemist and fun engineering tinker gadgets.

I dont think gathering professions are useless, for 1 you can't use your farm to get a good supply of herbs because Golden Lotus pops too often and the other 5 herbs are randomized so you may get 5 on one type, 2 of another, 3 of another and 4 of the last. Its just not enough to put into a single milling and the randomness is just too high. At least with leather and cloth you always get what you expect.

Gathering my own herbs means that the only thing I am investing in my mats is time, and in a long DPS qeue all I have is time so I gather herbs. Then my buy in price is 0, and I can undercut all those other people who buy their mats and I still get 100% profit not matter how low I go. If you buy your mats it gets to the point where you either make very little profit or you stop doing it because you make no profit.

I'm going to be spending the time anyways, and if 30 mins of gathering while waiting for dps qeue = 3 DMF cards that I can move quickly because I keep checking the pricing every 15 mins and undercutting any competition then thats all worth the time getting my own herbs.

I'm done with my dailies and I have tilled my farm so all I have is time to spend doing it anyways.

this is a good thing.

Yeah, it's pretty difficult to compete with bots these days. The only reason I even have a gathering toon, is to supply myself with mats and kill time when I'm really bored and want something mindless to do.

Gathering Proffs are still a nice way to make money. You've just got to know which markets to break into. One of the most profitable options is to sell crafting/profession kits. The difficulty comes with the gathering and selling of such product. You can inflate the prices according due to the ease of the product being in one place. Gathering professions will always be the money maker the first few weeks of an expansion. I still remember buying ore at 100g a stack >.<

While the farm is a nice alternative to gathering, it has a hard cap of 1-2 stack of any material in a day and I burn through any stack of materials within a minute. I seriously doubt that makes it worthy for the farm to replace gathering professions. Also the time spent to do all the weed pulling, tilling, planting seeds... Thats even more time consuming than going out and actually doing a gathering profession.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    There are a few things you can make money on from vanilla as far as herbs if you know the profession dead zones. Likewise you can make money on Fel Iron, still, why though I have no idea. With everything going ghost iron for leveling BS that nice niche is going bye bye though.
    The reason Fel Iron is worth much is because it has an extremely ridiculously bad spawn rate, and CRZ certainly didn't help in that regard either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysthalica View Post
    The reason Fel Iron is worth much is because it has an extremely ridiculously bad spawn rate, and CRZ certainly didn't help in that regard either.
    Fel iron was pretty profitable before CRZ as well depending on your server. Mithril/thorium weren't bad in cata for me either.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my eyes a harder but better solution would be to reduce the amount of materials needed to level things as engineering and blacksmithing, so forth in those level ranges.

Maintaining it dependency but reducing it rather than now having to deal with all bots over farming ghost iron, although that could be part of the plan to move all bots in one range .
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Imo the entire profession system is pointless and needs to be reworked from the ground up.
    Why do you think that?