10+ Year Old Account

Raiding FPS Help

So I've been having some undesirable fps in raids with the following build of mine. I get 110-120+ fps, sometimes near 200 with mixed high/ultra settings nearly anywhere. In one room of Seven Stars I get 150+, out front I get 40. It's extremely sporadic nearly halving and doubling every couple of seconds. I don't know if this is just lag in the counter or how it functions, but it's fairly disconcerting. I haven't really overclocked it much, because the card isn't very overclockable, but I haven't seen much improvement with it on anyway. If you go into the little overclocking program and manually turn up the GPU's fan you can hear it, and I only hear it when it is used to capacity (in benchmarks), so this leads me to believe that my low fps is not entirely the GPU's fault. When I'm pvping, I have to cap my FPS or it reaches those very high numbers which is useless, but if I raid with our 25m it can end up dropping to the 20-30's range nearly instantly. I am not a huge fan of AMD, but the card was having a huge sale at the time so I got it anyway. Not sure if I should be regretting it. When I tried to update to a beta catalyst I got a BSOD and had to re-install my OS because it somehow ruined the drivers to some unfixable degree. I also use that VirtuMVP GPU Virtualization stuff, with it on or off the difference is only that of 10fps. It actually helps, but can sometimes eat up a ton of ram.

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
    CPU: Intel i5-3750k Ivy
    GPU: MSI R7970 Lightning Radeon 3GB
    Other: 8GB Vengeance Ram, Corsair +Gold 750W, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB, Windows 8, H100i Cooler.

I have been trying some things, addons gone only seemed to help a little. It's pretty reputable stuff like Skada, ElvUI, Clique, DBM..etc.
    Last edited by Solemnity; 2013-02-17 at 04:24 PM.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Enable your vertical Sync. It's nice to see the 150 fps on your ticker but your not getting anything from that except it wears out your video card by making it work more then it should have to.

Deleted
    It has nothing to do with you GPU. WoW is CPU bound and your minimum FPS is dictated by your CPU especially when you're raiding 25 mans. What you're describing is a typical scenario during raiding especially when you're running at high resolutions and have everything on Ultra. Overclocking your CPU would net you an increase in minimum FPS. Overclocking your GPU would have minimal effect in a game like WoW. It might increase your average, but what you want is an improvement in minimum FPS.

Even if WoW is based on your CPU hes running a 3750 which is light years ahead of what WoW was designed for. WoW was probably designed around having a dual core PC and that was back during 40 man raids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overclocking your card wont help much in WoW where CPU is mostly used, is that cpu overclocked at all?

I run almost the same setup as you but a gtx 680 lightning and I get 60-80 fps outside of shrines and 40-50 fps in raids at 1080p everything maxed.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    Even if WoW is based on your CPU hes running a 3750 which is light years ahead of what WoW was designed for. WoW was probably designed around having a dual core PC and that was back during 40 man raids.
    People have posted the same with running with an i5 2500K around 2 years ago, which is only around 5% weaker in games at stock.

WoW has also been continually updated to run on modern graphics cards and it certainly looks alot different now than it does 7 years ago.

If I could give you a $1 for every kind of post of those with high end systems complaining about low minimum fps (not average fps) ingame then you'll have enough money to purchase a high end system for yourself and experience the same in a 25 man raiding scenario.

Not just WoW, but MMOs in general are notorious for running poorly on high end hardware. Even with a high end system you still have to optimize your system and settings to run WoW at decent levels during 25 man raiding and especially during intensive fights.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guessed as much. I thought I had an overclock on, but it must have reset at some point when I had some driver problems. Thanks for the info.