Laptop heating/fan and cover removal issue

Hey!

So a few months ago, my brother spilled beer on his laptop. Long story short, it was non-functional. Luckily, I managed to get it working (Keyboard, 1 RAM card, battery and disc drive were fried). Did a few more basic repairs and it looked all good. But here's where it gets frustrating for me. A few weeks ago, whenever I went on the laptop, it would only work for a bit and then the lights would go down and the fan would go at super high rates. Nothing is responsive and powering off the laptop is the only option. The only thing that changed here was that I used another power cable that works but ever since I used this power cable, this happens more frequently.

I checked the temperatures of the laptop and monitored it. Everything was normal but the issue still remained. I'm lead to believe this is either A) A fan motor issue, B) The fan altogether is a dud, C) The sensor on the fan is shot or something (Don't think so due to the readings though) or D) It's the power cable (Seems odd but whatever).

Fast forward, I decided to open up the laptop (I'm comfortable with this stuff as I've done much more difficult tasks on laptops) to see if I can see anything with the fan. I unscrewed and removed everything but when it came time to take off the cover that protects the motherboard and stuff, only the right side and the middle come off. I've tried a bunch of stuff and it looks like the tabs are out but the cover won't come off. I've followed tutorials (though they are few and far between) and the left side of the cover just won't lift off. Any tips on how I can get it off without damaging the components within?

The laptop is an HP G6. Thanks! If you need more details or anything, just ask. Not really in a rush seeing as I'm just trying to convert a broken laptop into fully functional condition for myself (And I'm pretty close luckily).

10+ Year Old Account
    Does this not help?

It sounds like you're just missing a screw or two.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Screws were unscrewed. Got the cover off, a tab was stuck under part of the laptop so that's what happened.

The fan itself looks fine. Some dust but not too much surprisingly. All other components look physically fine (Though the part that holds down the ribbon connector for the power button was broken off so that explains why the light was flickering. That's easily fixable though). I'm gonna try and see if my brothers cooling pad solves the problem with the fan though I'm thinking it's something else.

Feeling really stupid right now seeing as it seems like such a simple fix but I just can't figure it out. Could be a possible motherboard failure. Really hoping not but it's not out of the question.
    Last edited by Tal72; 2013-02-18 at 12:23 AM.