Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ...
13
21
22
23
24
25
LastLast
  1. #441
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I think that is the difference between just liking somebody and truly loving somebody. Somebody you are truly in love with even when they make you mad or your are frustrated with them etc. You still love them and care about them deeply and will be there for them.

    Its like a mother. Even when kids are bad, mother still love children pretty much unconditionally. Obviously there are exceptions but real love I think transcends something fikel like than comparing it to grape jelly.
    I know that and I agree with it. Though the possibilities of "stopping" true love or something to come in between it are more slim, although, true love is kinda subjective and can mean different things to other people.

    Even if a person truly loves someone, you can't always expect or know if your partner does and will be able to keep up with you, so to speak.

    So yeah, again, there's always a chance that something might change you or your partner but it's bad if you keep reminding yourself of that every time, not good for you or anyone else.

  2. #442
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    Faith won't see logic because it holds fear at bay. It's a debate you cannot win, so you're being disrespectful for no reason.
    __

    Addressing your edit, It would seem you have a double standard. I don't doubt people think the same thing about you not being good materiel.



    The way he described women, and how he obviously treats them is unacceptable.
    Hmmm, regarding my edit...

    There's girls that are fun to be around, spend some time with and if both parties are happy with it, sure, have some "personal time" with, no strings.
    There's girls that are fun to be around that you have some connection with, feel sparks, fall for but know they won't really make the distance and aren't "the one" but are good company and good people, that's girlfriend material.
    There's girls that require little explaining that rapidly fill and cover any spare/open bits of life and seem to "complete" you, that's wife material.

    I don't think any of that is too unreasonable or harsh is it? I'm with the lady I'll marry next year, I've seen a fair amount of example 2 and a lot of example 1 , neither of which is particularly suprising (or I wouldn't think it so).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

  3. #443
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.

  4. #444
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.
    What about the people that have explicitly said that they're in happy, loving, long-lasting relationships that have said they're not interested in marriage?

  5. #445
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.
    It's a shame that there are all these people who think marriage has any relevance in anything at all. I think the real reason is that they are in fact un-sure about their own feelings and thus they require external confirmation as a cover.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  6. #446
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.
    Yes... cause the only way someone would want to be with you is if you get the Government and lawyers involved. How about the reverse? If you do believe in marriage its only because no one will stay with you unless they are legally obligated to.

    Not saying that's the case, but its just as stupid as what you're claiming.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  7. #447
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.
    Marriage isn't a belief, its a form of relationship with certain legal and cultural consequences. Been married for over 20 years. Sorry. Somebody wanted to be with me and me with her.

    That said, marriage today isn't as attractive as it once was. I see it every day.

  8. #448
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who think marriage has any relevance in anything at all. I think the real reason is that they are in fact un-sure about their own feelings and thus they require external confirmation as a cover.
    Marriage has relevance. The law says so. Get mad?

  9. #449
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    What about the people that have explicitly said that they're in happy, loving, long-lasting relationships that have said they're not interested in telling the other person in the relationship that they love them?
    Fixed your statement for you. Marriage is a declaration of love, if you don't want to tell the other person you're going to love them forever that is fine.

  10. #450
    At 20, I'd say there is no reason for it. At 30, I might still agree with my 20 year old self. At 40, people you know now will be dead or changed. Friends you've made and lost come and go while everyone you talk to will slowly be taken up by jobs and kids of their own. Marriage is a good thing for people who get lonely and know what a commitment is. At a certain point life begins to slow down for everyone.

    The big spook everyone talks about is just people not getting married so young these days and with us living longer; it isn't a bad idea to think before you act.
    Last edited by God8010; 2013-02-18 at 08:28 PM. Reason: typo

  11. #451
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    Marriage has relevance. The law says so. Get mad?
    Maybe in backwater countries where religious institutions are still allowed to meddle in legal matters.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  12. #452
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Fixed your statement for you. Marriage is a declaration of love, if you don't want to tell the other person you're going to love them forever that is fine.
    So, when you say "fixed", what you really mean is just flatly making shit up. Got it!

  13. #453
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Fixed your statement for you. Marriage is a declaration of love, if you don't want to tell the other person you're going to love them forever that is fine.
    False, marriage is an religious institution that has been deeply mixed into our society and culture.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  14. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Maybe in backwater countries where religious institutions are still allowed to meddle in legal matters.
    Can you provide an example of a country where marriage isn't a legal entity?

  15. #455
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan2k10 View Post
    It's a shame that there are all these people who don't believe in marriage. I think the real reason is that they are so shitty no one wants to be with them but they use meh its just a term as a cover.
    i believe in the concept, but i dont find it unreasonable to not take that measure. Honestly you have to look at it as a contract, some people feel their emotions dont need an on paper contract to demonstrate their connection or feelings for another. Unfortunately many people avoid marriage to avoid long term obligation that they might have sat down and talked with somebody long ago. People who get married can't even maintain the social contract sometimes.

    People dont avoid marriage because they cant for whatever reason find someone that can put up with them every day, it's just they dont need the piece of paper to prove they are who they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

    "They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

  16. #456
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    False, marriage is an religious institution that has been deeply mixed into our society and culture.
    Matrimony is a religious institution, Marriage is a social, and sometimes legal institution. Words have meaning use them correctly.

  17. #457
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Maybe in backwater countries where religious institutions are still allowed to meddle in legal matters.
    Really please google, Tennessee Code Annotated 36-3-101 et seq. Specifically covers marriage in the backwater country of . . . Nevermind Tennessee is a backwater state of the United States, you sir win the argument.

  18. #458
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Matrimony is a religious institution, Marriage is a social, and sometimes legal institution. Words have meaning use them correctly.
    Those words are synonymous here, and the other is simply a spawn of the former so the institution could've been suited better for modern ages, even though the whole thing should've been abolished from existance.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

    "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

  19. #459
    I am Murloc! Anjerith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    The apotheosis of all Deserts
    Posts
    5,034
    Marriage isn't for everyone. Granted, it is a commitment that shows your devotion to stick with a person through thick or thin, however, not everyone is compatible like that.

    Theres nothing wrong with not being married, but there isn't anything wrong with being married either. Stop trying to force your ridiculous opinions on everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

  20. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Those words are synonymous here, and the other is simply a spawn of the former so the institution could've been suited better for modern ages, even though the whole thing should've been abolished from existance.
    No they aren't marriage has been around long before religions. Marriage does not go hand in hand with religion.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •