Page 1 of 3
LastLast

First PC build. No experience.

Budget: 1300$

Resolution: any 16:9's the higher the better but 1920x1080 is fine

Games / Settings Desired: Would like to play most games at or near highest settings. My flavour of game covers all genres.

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Would like to get into recording and video uploading to youtube, but it's not a priority.

Parts that can be reused: None.

Do you need an OS? Yes, Windows 7 please.

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Monitor, keyboard are needed. I have a mouse and headset already.

I hope this helps you computer gurus out, thanks for your time and help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you intend to overclock at all?

How much are you willing to spend on a keyboard? and what type do you want (mechanical or rubber dome)

In the meantime... look this over

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($65.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1204.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

excluded keyboard for now as i dont know what you want.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-02-18 at 02:37 AM.

I'd cut out that PSU as it only has 20A on the 12v rails. That's only 240w for your video card, and the 7870 XT consumes more power than the 7950.

Anyway, I'd consider plopping in a 7970 anyway if you're aspiring for max settings on new games. While the 7870 XT is good, it's not good enough for max settings on newly released titles @ 1080p.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I'd cut out that PSU as it only has 20A on the 12v rails. That's only 240w for your video card, and the 7870 XT consumes more power than the 7950.

Anyway, I'd consider plopping in a 7970 anyway if you're aspiring for max settings on new games. While the 7870 XT is good, it's not good enough for max settings on newly released titles @ 1080p.
    The 7870 XT has a 185w TDP.

Regarding the 7970, he has a $1300 budget including OS, case, monitor, keyboard and all. So unless i drop to a 3470/B75 (waiting to see if he's actually going to overclock or not) it won't really fit in the budget.

Or unless i remove the SSD, which i'd rather use a 7870 XT with an SSD than a 7970 without, personally.

I also had forgot to add a case and r/w drive, as i was in a rush, so i've fixed that now and it only leave $70 for a keyboard, which is the only thing missing from the list.

It goes over the TDP though according to reviews:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/C...iti_LE/26.html

Look at the maximum power draw chart at the bottom, that's not total system draw, that's only the GPU. It's just cutting it way, way too close to the 12v rail's max amperage. Especially when you factor in capacitor degradation over time lowering the available wattage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($392.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.21 @ TigerDirect)
    Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS72 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: ViewSonic VX2370Smh-LED 23.0" Monitor ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1363.00
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-17 21:13 EST-0500)

Here's a swap from the less than stellar 840 non pro to something a bit more reliable, a much more equipped PSU with a single rail, less expensive RAM with the same reliability and speed and a 7970. All they need to do is save an extra $100. If not, cut out the SSD and buy it later. You can always add that in at a later point, but adding in a GPU swap at a later point is a lot more expensive.
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll concede on the PSU, but you still forget that he has a $1300 budget, and your build is over $1300 without a Keyboard (which he said he needs)

Even though, max power draw conducted in those tests is using furmark, which we all know is an urealistic expectation to hit.
    Last edited by Killora; 2013-02-18 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I'll concede on the PSU, but you still forget that he has a $1300 budget, and your build is over $1300 without a Keyboard (which he said he needs)

Even though, max power draw conducted in those tests is using furmark, which we all know is an urealistic expectation to hit.
    Well, it's just to show that with capacitor degradation, there could definitely be problems down the line, that's all. Wouldn't you agree though that cutting the SSD and saving up for a week or so would be a wiser idea than skimping on a GPU for a year or more?

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Well, it's just to show that with capacitor degradation, there could definitely be problems down the line, that's all. Wouldn't you agree though that cutting the SSD and saving up for a week or so would be a wiser idea than skimping on a GPU for a year or more?
    Yeah, i agree for sure. But what we dont know if he's even willing to do that. It's also a hassle to get an SSD (not say it should disencourage the idea) and then have to reinstall windows later down the line.

I try to keep to the budgets given, and maybe ask questions if they'd be willing to go over.

All in all, if he's willing to wait on the SSD and buy it in the near future, go for it, but if not, i'd prefer a 7870xt with SSD than a 7970 without any day.

This is going to be a birthday present, so it will come mid march if that gives any better time frame for anything coming out. About the keyboard....I'm not sure what's good or not, mind suggesting a few you all can recommend from personal experience or something? Price doesn't matter as long as I'm at or under the 1300ish mark.

Oh and about overclocking.....not sure. Is it suggested/needed?

Also would it be possible to have things between amazon/newegg for ease of purchase? If not due to big price differences that's fine.
    Last edited by deusanon; 2013-02-18 at 03:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by decimoo View Post
    This is going to be a birthday present, so it will come mid march if that gives any better time frame for anything coming out. About the keyboard....I'm not sure what's good or not, mind suggesting a few you all can recommend from personal experience or something? Price doesn't matter as long as I'm at or under the 1300ish mark.

Oh and about overclocking.....not sure. Is it suggested/needed?

Also would it be possible to have things between amazon/newegg for ease of purchase? If not due to big price differences that's fine.
    my build kept it between newegg mostly, with one amazon.

Overclocking is a good idea if you're comfortable with it. Just make sure to test it thoroughly.

GPU Overclocking guide
    CPU Overclocking guide

Theres a guide to overclocking the GPU/CPU

if you do it right you'll get a good amount of performance gain. Especially so if the user is going to play any MMO's/RTS's. Overclocking the CPU is known to give a big boost in these games in and of itself.

I can't really comfortably recommend a keyboard as my knowledge on good quality keyboards (I like razer products but they're a bit pricy) is limited. I'm using a G15 keyboard but it's also a bit overpriced (i bought it for the LCD screen on it.) for a rubber dome keyboard.

Is this for you or are you building it for someone else?

If you don't have the option of saving money for an SSD + 7970 (glo's build) i'd go with my build, 7870 XT is still a solid performer and i wouldn't pass up on an SSD unless your budget is dreadfully low (it's not.)

It's for me, treating myself basically. I'll read up on some keyboards as well. Thanks for all the help. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone else chimes in, but so far I'll just have a go at your build.

I just realized I've got a usb install of windows 7 and a home premium cd key on this laptop, could I use that?
    Last edited by deusanon; 2013-02-18 at 04:57 AM.

Deleted
    If you have a Windows 7 key you should be good. I tweaked the system a little to in include a modular PSU (not a must but nice to work with and easier for cable management), Front USB 3.0 ports with this case, different monitor (I would Asus > Viewsonic any day).

This is $1350 but with none MicroCenter prices (If you have a MicroCenter near you though you can save $40 on a motherboard and the CPU is $190+tax)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($107.95 @ Mac Connection)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($392.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($174.99 @ Best Buy)
    Total: $1351.59
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-18 08:57 EST-0500)

Microsoft SideWinder X4 $60, pretty good keyboard with anti-ghosting for a decent price.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2013-02-18 at 01:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    If you have a Windows 7 key you should be good.
    You can only have it activated on one install, though. So unless you don't want to use it on your laptop anymore.... you can't endlessly re-use a windows key.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    You can only have it activated on one install, though. So unless you don't want to use it on your laptop anymore.... you can't endlessly re-use a windows key.
    Yeah that's true, either way I included the OS in the budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    With regards to the 7870xt it is a power hungry bastard especially if overclocked. I'll be able to give numbers in about 2 weeks when my new rig rocks up if you would like to know overclocked power draw but I really wouldn't be cutting it that fine on non overclocked figures (i've read it can draw nearly 300w at full load overclocked) especially when peace of mind only costs an extra $15 (or there abouts).

I'm still not convinced for the OP's purposes a 7970 is the right choice also newegg is currently out of stock on that card. I would be inclined to go the sapphire 7870xt and gives you some room to move on the budget. Doing so makes the build 1200 all up less keyboard which is a nice amount of room to play with. Aside from that I would recommend that build without a second thought (i'm jealous of the price you guys get parts at).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    I'm still not convinced for the OP's purposes a 7970 is the right choice also newegg is currently out of stock on that card. I would be inclined to go the sapphire 7870xt and gives you some room to move on the budget..
    Yeah just noticed the stock issue, Amazon had it at the same price but it's now much more so i edited the build to include the Sapphire version.

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT with Boost 2GB $260 is really not a bad choice and will fit the budget better perhaps.

Or this one:

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB ~$300

Thanks for more options everyone.

Also I'd like to toss in a wireless adapter of some sorts. Having a look at that website: pcpartpicker. com/part/rosewill-wireless-network-card-rnxn180ube does this one look okay? Or can someone else recommend one they've used. I can get a NIC card if I need but I would prefer to just have something wireless: less cords.

Deleted
    Review of the Rosewill wireless, I don't have much experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by decimoo View Post
    Thanks for more options everyone.

Also I'd like to toss in a wireless adapter of some sorts. Having a look at that website: pcpartpicker. com/part/rosewill-wireless-network-card-rnxn180ube does this one look okay? Or can someone else recommend one they've used. I can get a NIC card if I need but I would prefer to just have something wireless: less cords.
    I would not recommend going wireless for gaming. It'll work right probably 95% of the time, but when it decides to lose connection or slow down it will probably be at the worst possible time. I always recommend hard-wiring unless it is just not possible at all. Cords can be run under carpets and practically invisible anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I would not recommend going wireless for gaming. It'll work right probably 95% of the time, but when it decides to lose connection or slow down it will probably be at the worst possible time. I always recommend hard-wiring unless it is just not possible at all. Cords can be run under carpets and practically invisible anyway.
    As long as you have a good WLAN device, and a non piece of shit router, and good LOS to the router/modem, it'll be fine.

Buffalo makes good wireless devices.