Power Protection/UPS

Does anyone have any experience buying a UPS?

I get a popping in my speaker when someones flips a switch in my house and I read this could be a possible solution to it.

I'm not trying to spend much more than $50, if at all.

I came across this one (below) but it says it's only 257 watts output, my computer sucks much more than that, right? My PSU is a Corsair 600W.

http://www.amazon.com/APC-BE450G-Bac.../dp/B001BTWQDS

But if anyone can point me towards a good UPS at a good price, let me know.

You would get about 3 minutes of backup power with that UPS. Plenty long enough to shut the computer down safely. Can't comment on the brand or anything like that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    You would get about 3 minutes of backup power with that UPS. Plenty long enough to shut the computer down safely. Can't comment on the brand or anything like that though.
    I didn't check your link but APC is good manufacture of UPS. I use one myself quite a bit larger of course and it gives me a full 18 minutes to shut down. If that one suits your needs then that brand name is fine.

Do you have your speaker plugged into a wall outlet or something? If it's plugged into a surge protector along with your PC wouldn't the PC also be doing something when the switch is flipped.

For what you want it for, I think you would be fine with the cheapest UPS you can find since you only really want it for the uninterrupted power part.
    Last edited by Mashpotaters; 2013-02-18 at 04:46 AM.

This is the one i bought a long time ago, 2/12/2011

newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048

CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series GreenPower UPS CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W 8 Outlets UPS

about 10 blackouts so far and it lasts my system for about 20-30min

I5 2500k oced to 4.5ghz
    32gb ram
    6950 gfx
    2 HDDs, and 1 SSD
    1 LCD monitor, 1 CRT monitor
    the modem for internet
    the router
    the network HUB
    2 60w CFLs
    my 5.1 speakers
    my 9 fans in my case

Right now it says im using 297w, with a time of 29min without power

This UPS came in handy during storm sandy, used it for keep my cell phone changed so i can listen and watch the news, lasted all of the 5 days we didn't have power, was also used for light once in a while during sandy.

I have a mini power strip with 4 plugs on it. Computer, speakers and both monitors plugged into it. I don't know why the speakers are the only ones that do anything.

But I really just wanted it for the uninterrupted power supply, the battery aspect would be a nice addition, but not necessary, I don't leave my computer on during bad storms.

10+ Year Old Account
    But I really just wanted it for the uninterrupted power supply
    the battery aspect would be a nice addition
    These are the same thing.

"Uninterruptable Power Supply" Literally means... power cannot be interrupted by external failure.

The only thing a UPS does over a surge protector is provide the power during an outage.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    These are the same thing.

"Uninterruptable Power Supply" Literally means... power cannot be interrupted by external failure.

The only thing a UPS does over a surge protector is provide the power during an outage.
    Ahhh I meant the power line conditioning. I want it for the transition of "dirty" to "clean" power.