Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc Priest Atonement?

If i rather just wanna all out heal and NOT dps in atonement, Is this considerd "stupid" for a disc pve priest? Im wondering.

Deleted
    Depends on the fight, I guess. Some of them you really need to make use of Atonement if you want to contribute the most (from what I've seen from my raid's Disc, I don't raid with my own).

ya every disc priest i see, Is using atonment but their was one who wasnt. He was just strictly healing.

Deleted
    Not dpsing at all for at least archangel would nerf your healing by a fair bit. You dont have to constantly dps, but 25% buff from archangel every 30 seconds is nothing to ditch.

And on some fights with dmg buffs, atonement is very powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's kind of foolish to not use atonement on bosses that have some sort of increased damage mechanic (a la H stone guard, elegon, garalon, mel'jarak, amber shaper, H lei shi--might be forgetting some). But IMO there is nothing wrong with not using atonement in situations where it doesn't provide a measurable advantage compared to regular healing.

You also have to factor in the contribution you make to the raid by simultaneously contributing extra DPS while healing at the same time, and on fights like the ones specifically mentioned earlier atonement actually causes your healing #'s to be quite high while you are DPSing.

There's a huge discussion in the disc s holy 5.2 thread below this one on atonement healing. Check it out

Yeah, I'd say it's stupid not to in 10 man. It's very efficient, it's a smart heal, and the damage you do can be pretty significant. There are a couple fights where you're pretty much only dpsing for Archangel (Tsulong for example), but on most fights Atonement should be one of your top heals. It's less useful for 25 man, but you still want to be doing it for Archangel at the very least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Deleted
    "on most fights Atonement should be one of your top heals"

It's probably the most boring thing in this game, right next to dpsing as a rogue.

Btw, unless you got tons of haste and crit (I don't, so I can't try it), i'm not sure it's viable. Coz with my 485 priest, N Spirit Kings is probably the only fight where i can do more than just keep my Evangelism stacks up. And I don't think i'm less skilled than anyone at pressing 3 buttons so as to get the most of my smite glyph^^

It's good but in no way should be your most used heal >.>

In 25man h elegon it's 40% of my healing, but there are fights in which I don't use atonement much at all, just for archangel. Like everyone has said, you can live without it, but it's nice, specially in fights in which people are spread around everywhere or have long lulls in healing.
    Last edited by vanityking; 2013-02-19 at 07:21 AM.

well ;p heroic elegon is an exception because of how OP the modifier is lol

Quote Originally Posted by xXxexpertxXx View Post
    If i rather just wanna all out heal and NOT dps in atonement, Is this considerd "stupid" for a disc pve priest? Im wondering.
    mind that you can healhealheal and very occasionally cast holy fire or smite (i wouldnt call occasional casts 'dpsing'). just to build stacks. just to have archangel. just to add +25% to your 'all out heal'
    what would be the reason to pass on such a buff? ^^

Deleted
    Not using atonement to at least build archangel is simply gimping you and the raid massively. However, on certain fights atonement is pretty much the best way to heal even outside of that (especially on 10 man), penance and holy fire are very strong, both in output and mana efficency. Smite is significantly worse but still almost (targetted, grace and ss might give heal some use, some day) outright superior to things like heal (quicker, better output, ~same mana efficency) while adding dps.

As others have said, you should be using at least Penance to stack up Evangelism for Archangel.

Additionally, next patch Atonement looks like it will be disc's primary tool for raid spot healing.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    It's good but in no way should be your most used heal >.>
    One of your top heals. Obviously DA PoH and SS are going to be higher a lot of the time, but it's not unreasonable to say Atonement would be at least 3rd-5th on nearly every fight.

3rd or 4th out of.. 4 or 5 spells >_>...?

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    3rd or 4th out of.. 4 or 5 spells >_>...?
    If only 4 or 5 spells show up on your log, you're probably not playing the spec very well.

4-5 Significant Spells

Deleted
    I'd argue that atonement should be topping your logs for several fights this tier. If you can heal a fight with primarly atonement you heal it with primarly atonement, the added dps is great. That this playstyle is boring as fuck is a different matter.

Oh I agree it should be on a couple, but I don't think thats the main playstyle for disc as a majority of this tier.