Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Wind Waker beat out Ocarina of Time? Shenanigans!

If you complain about this list Colin Moriarty will call you names.

Biggest problem I see with the list is that Chrono Trigger is ranked as 2, instead of 1. I could care less about the other games, but Chrono Trigger is in my opinion the best game of all time. Super Metroid and A Link to the Past are also both great games. Really the SNES just had tons of great games.

Normally I don't agree with these lists, but this one is actually not that bad.

Portal is certainly not the best game of all time, but I agree that it deserves a spot at the top 10. It's the only game I've ever played in my life from start to finish without stopping. Four straight hours on a Sunday afternoon; I simply couldn't stop playing the game until I beat it. It was one of the few games I've ever played where I had to think in a different way than regular in order to win. It was definitely a very fun experience. And while Portal 2 is, in almost every aspect, bigger and better, the initial experience of playing Portal for the first time is something that cannot be replicated, and I've never found another game that gave me something similar.

Also, seeing Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, SMB3 and Link to the Past (and yes, WoW) up there makes me happy. They are all games that I would also put in my Top 10 of all time.

However, a list like this should be a little broader. I would definitely have included Street Fighter II or Doom up there, for popularizing entire gaming genres.
    Yak. Yak never changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The list is garbage, portal 2 was miles ahead of the first.

My top 10

I've played alot of games in my years but I have never spent so much time reading about upcoming sequels or just cared about the story. They was the most joyfull for me also.

Zelda
    Mario
    WoW
    Alan Wake
    Portal 2
    Half-Life 2
    The Walking Dead
    Battlefield 2142/3
    Dishonored
    Prince Of Persia
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

I basically only know Wow out of what appears to be a randomly generated list of games:

Heck I could make my own list of influential games:

Wolfenstein
    Doom
    Diablo 1+2
    Warcraft 1
    Stracraft 1
    North & South
    Civilization 1 & 5

These are games I remember. The top 9 games of that daft list could be stuffed in a sack and buried next to Hitler for all I care

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfstan View Post
    I didn't see Final Fantasy VII on this list. Am I missing something?
    FFVII was only good because it was the first one that was 3D and had FMV. The story was okay, but the mistranslation of everything made it difficult to follow and understand.

----

Call me a girl for playing with dolls, but Sims 3 being on the list rather than Sims 2 tells me not to read too much into it. S2 was innovative and a welcome upgrade to the first, it was made by the same studio. S3 was made by EA to be a microtransaction machine and it took away some of the great concepts that were in #2 and did nothing to progress the gameplay further.
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

This list is really spot-on. I would definitely have changed the positions, but nearly all my most beloved games are there.

Also, note that the game they chose is a "representative" of the entire series. So, when they show Final Fantasy X, they actually mean all 3D Final Fantasies, including FF7. They put FF6, meaning all the old school FFs. When they put Zelda: A legend to the past, they mean all Nes, SNES, GB and GBA Zeldas. And when they chose Wind Waker, they mean all 3D Zeldas (Though I would have chosen Ocarina of Time for that).

And they have not forgotten Mega Man! And represented by Mega Man 2! Great list, indeed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    Minecraft in top 100 but no mention of age of empires 2? dafuq :') I played that game for 5-6 years
    no shit, i was wondering the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gegan View Post
    Some of the comments saying they've never heard of some of the biggest games of all time make me feel old. Darn kids and their new fangled rock n roll music.
    Most of the games are within the last 10 years and the ones I dont know about are mostly console games or genres I dont play.

This topic really won't serve as anything other than people bashing other people for not picking what they like.

Newsflash y'all, nostalgia also plays into this in a HUGE way. I was 12 when FF7 came out, for example, and I loved it. But replaying it now, I can't really say its anything amazing. Just an example. You might have done the same as me and still find it amazing.

The problem is that the amount of, at the very least, 'good' games is obscene. Then try to distinguish between "good" and "amazing." And then "Amazing" and "perfection," its all subjective.

*shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    This topic really won't serve as anything other than people bashing other people for not picking what they like.

Newsflash y'all, nostalgia also plays into this in a HUGE way. I was 12 when FF7 came out, for example, and I loved it. But replaying it now, I can't really say its anything amazing. Just an example. You might have done the same as me and still find it amazing.

The problem is that the amount of, at the very least, 'good' games is obscene. Then try to distinguish between "good" and "amazing." And then "Amazing" and "perfection," its all subjective.

*shrugs*
    ^This.

Seriously guys come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Can everyone explain to me how just because this site has Portal as their top choice, it invalidates it?

Any game they'd pick for number 1 would have the same reaction from the community.

There's no such thing as a perfect list.

Seriously, get past that and move on. Discuss the actual thread.
    Because it is nowhere near the best game ever. In fact, it was barely a game to begin with. And I can assure you them picking dues ex or planescape torment it would have been accepted fine. Just glad oot and ff7 weren't number one like always.

Deleted
    any list that doesn't have Resident Evil 1+2 and Metal Gear Solid on it is just completely wrong imo

Quote Originally Posted by cyqu View Post
    no shit, i was wondering the same thing.
    Theres a bias against strategy games on the list. Only SC2, WC3 and Civ V are there leaving out at least Age of Empires, Total War and Command and Conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    The list is garbage, portal 2 was miles ahead of the first.
    I don't care for either of the series very much, but portal 2 was just the Valve devs jerking off onto the faces of all the folks who went crazy over 1 by giving them a glorified sight seeing tour. The single thing it provided was a mildly interesting co-op with no replay value. It definitely wasn't a better game.

The single issue with 1 was that it was short. But you know what that's a good thing because just like a good TV series once you hit season 17 it's usually not so good.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Deleted
    People not knowing super metroid, wind waker, chrono trigger or bioshock.
    I'm deeply saddened by this.

Also why is the list subjective to you? It isnt very good list for gaming magazine if it doesnt have objective opinions why they are listed that way. It does have some objective opinions there. But thats quite small amount.. 2-3 paragraphs?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    Played both countless times. I think OoT is better. What you are feeling is called an opinion, and other people have different ones.
    OoT was super for its time! Wind Waker even holds up todays standars!

In gameplay Wind waker wins hands down!
    In Story Wind waker is the superior here to since it tells it alot better!

OoT clunky and awkward controls, bad graphics etc, when compairing game you cant really compair nostalgia! I like both alot but wind waker takes this one!

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Multiple people.

Guys, the entire list is subjective and opinion based.

Keep the discussion on WoW, not the actual games on the list.
    Like that was really ever going to happen. :-p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    1. Portal
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Super Metroid
    4. Shadow of the Colossus
    5. Wind Waker
    6. BioShock
    7. Super Mario Bros 3
    8. Uncharted 2
    9. Link to the Past
    10. WoW

Just so you know the company we are in as a top 10 game.
    Some prestigious company--Chrono Trigger is generally hailed as the SNES's crowning achievement in RPGs, as ALttP is for adventure games and Super Metroid is for action-platform. SMB3 is one of the NES's top titles and (at secondhand stores that still sell NES games) regularly sells for $25+ down here in Georgia. Wind Waker, while divisive, was a return to the superdeformed SNES era. Shadow of the Colossus is one of those love-it-or-hate-it games, but considering it was a PS2 title, it was visually astounding. I've not played BioShock or Uncharted 2, so I can't comment on them, but the general consensus is that those two were extremely well-received on release and remain so.

I would have preferred Mass Effect 2 made the top 10, to be totally honest, but its place as 11th is nothing to sneeze at, either.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Also why is the list subjective to you? It isnt very good list for gaming magazine if it doesnt have objective opinions why they are listed that way. It does have some objective opinions there. But thats quite small amount.. 2-3 paragraphs?
    Playing devil's advocate here: opinions by nature are subjective; while said opinions can be based off of objective information and facts (what we call an informed opinion), it's still going to be colored by any given person's individual tastes and biases. Objectively, Game XYZ might be a pinnacle achievement in its genre, but if you get someone who doesn't like Genre ABC to review it, their opinion of the game will be colored by that and they may be more prone to focusing harder on its negatives, while a diehard fan of Genre ABC might be more prone to justifying or ignoring those flaws in favor of glowing praise to a breakout example of their favorite genre.

I'm certainly guilty of that, very much so, as hard as I try not to be when talking video games due to the inherent sensitivity people have toward their favorite games and genres (and even systems).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!