Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooji View Post
    If you're talking raw damage I'd say a boomkin hands down. With CDs/trinket popped on a pack of 4+ people you can do some ridiculous damage. And I'm pretty sure they're buffing boomy self healing in 5.2, and starsurge is getting a slight buff.

After booms usually FDK(maybe UHDK next patch?) and locks tend to be the next tier of damage. I haven't played either so can't help ya there ><

One very, very underrated spec in RBGs in survival huntard. I don't have my t1 yet and top damage in every bg/rbg. It's a much friendlier spec to play than BM imo. You may not have the crazy lolwut burst a bm hunter has, but it's much more sustained damage, and you can pop multi shot(serpent spread) once every 10-15 seconds for some insane cleave damage. I was actually running with a 2kish RBG group on my boomy the other day and I was telling them about my hunter and asking our hunter if he's tried survival yet in an RBG...sure enough the next group we faced had a survival hunter lol! and he actually topped my boomy's dmg QQ. And unlike a boomy which has terrible single target burst outside of starsurge procs, as a surv hunter you can put out some decent burst to go along with that serpent spread cleave.(IMO hunter is way more fun to play than boomy, but idk about lock/dk)

**oh I noticed people mentioning healers in the thread. Not sure if that's something you're interested in but if so for BGs I'd highly recommend mistweaver. You'll never need a peel, you can kite melee like a boss, and get the amazing stun resistance.(I heard something about them nerfing healing spheres hope that isn't true, but will still be beast bg healers)
    I’ve only ever seen a boomkin at top damage once and he was literally just running around like a madman dotting everyone up - He was insanely geared too so I can’t imagine the dot ticks but the kb/death ratio didn’t do him much justice.
    I’m rolling with UH DK at the moment – I put out more dmg overall than what I do in frost and enemy healers really dislike me :P Last night alone I’d have had a 60+ killstreak (over numerous different bg’s) if it hadn’t have been for 3 deaths in EOTS from hunter/druid/ele knockbacks off a cliff 
    Personal preferences for solo play would definitely be either DK, mage or hunter for solo play although strong arguments for spriest and druid (2 classes which I’ve not played for a long while cause I’m lazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Aveyai View Post
    Mage>Destro Lock>Spriest>Frost DK>The Rest imo. I've gone 66-0 in AV on my mage before, we have good burst, high skill cap, and high control in a bg setting. I saw a destro lock go 55-0 with 23 million damage the other day and they have the KB sniper (Shadowburn). Spriests have a bit less burst but more frequent and with lots of get aways and a KB sniper (SW: Death). Dk can also pad the meters in bgs for damage but they don't usually top KBs and I don't ever really have an issue with them 1v1.

Warriors and hunters can do well but only if they are really good/ have a pocket healer.
    I would recommend that you do not take any advice what so ever from this person. First of all the Mage skill is definitely not high in BG's. Spriest are not among the best DPS classes in RBG's. KB's are irrelevant. Hunter is your counter class therefor a good one would not need a healer to kill you. Please don't come here and spread your BS.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2013-02-19 at 11:58 AM.

Deleted
    Fire mage is faceroll.

Only face roll against unsuspecting enemies. If you don't have trinket up a fire mage can kill you in a deep.

Warrior, Hunter or shadow priest.

Deleted
    Depends on how much time you want to devote to this character really.

I find that my hunter is the one I have most fun in BGs with over the expansions, but I would say druid still. If you are a decent druid and collect some gear you can run flags, do melee damage, be ranged or healer depending on if you play alone or with friends, what map you are on and which spec currently is decent etc.

Go druid imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    I would recommend that you do not take any advice what so ever from this person. First of all the Mage skill is definitely not high in BG's. Spriest are not among the best DPS classes in RBG's. KB's are irrelevant. Hunter is your counter class therefor a good one would not need a healer to kill you. Please don't come here and spread your BS.

I don't know how you don't think mages are good in bgs as they have been very strong and complained about for years now. Spriest can do very good sustained damage on single target. Random bgs are full to the brim with people of no gear and no idea of what they're doing. It isn't often that your counter class is going to counter you unless they have some kind of gear or skill similar to yours. I didn't mean both skill and a healer in my first post, just one or the other. Also, KBs put you at the top of the default score board

Quote Originally Posted by Paloro View Post
    Priest, if you go shadow you can just dot the living crap out of people and always have a ton of defensives to heal yourself back up.
    Meh, I found that when I played Priest I got tunneled so much. And yeah, while you have the survivability and utility to take it you really don't tend to find yourself dotting everyone up anywhere near enough unless you're queuing up with someone who regularly peels or if you're lucky enough to get put with people who do.

Personally I'd go with Warrior, BM Hunter or a Frost Mage. In Random BGs they're probably the strongest 1v1 classes and even with the nerfs to Warrior next patch you'll still beat faces down. I rarely have to drop into DS and I'm in full Honor gear with no Weapon. My mage has so much control and since people rarely dispel others in BGs I know that I'm fairly safe. While I don't have a Hunter I'm playing with someone who does. He's not the best player, he'll admit that, but he's able to play BM well enough to the point where he can put pressure on people, allowing him to go for a kill or at least let someone else finish off.

For 5.2, I'll bet that BG's will be flooded by Monks and Rogues. So I'd go with a class that can counter them, so probably Warrior/BM Hunter as Rogues can still lock down a Caster and Monks are just annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    In your opinion which do you class/spec do you think is 'best' for dominating battlegrounds? From sustained damage, to taking a lot of damage. I'm looking to level a new char specifically for battlegrounds (I want to attempt to solo-farm out the 250k HK's and finish off some other achievements)

Many thanks !

Just choose any healer spec and stick to the melee guy with the best gear, if you go to AB try and defend LM or GM and you will get a ton of HK from assists. Just keep everyone alive and you will can actually see an 160 HK at the end of a BG. My average is around 80 when i play healer (on a match that is close if your team is dominating the match you won't get that many because the game will end quick and the enemy usually just stands at the GY waiting for your team to end the game)

I keep AB has an example because it is the game i get more HK, the map is short, if you just defend LM and jump down to BS, has an healer it is the best way to farm HK, and like i said it is the fastest way to farm because if you go DPS you will end up killed quicker

IF you have eng has a profession pick any healer if you don't either Paladin or Priest so you can jump down and not take fall damage.

Deleted
    Go druid...
    Feral for flag caps.
    Boomkin for dmg.
    Stealth for recaps.

You'll want that stealth to solo some achievements.

10+ Year Old Account
    On my Frost DK I can pump out a ton of damage, have a large toolbox full of cooldowns, and can heal myself pretty well. Also, if you are with a group and don't want to rush in, you can always Death Grip people to you. Healers are the most important cog in a BG though, however if you played Healer you'd need some cooperation to get achievements. But it may take some luck and endurance anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Holy Paladin, Resto Shaman, Shadow Priest
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Deleted
    I play rogue and thats the class i have the most fun on in Random BGs and i have played most classes

10+ Year Old Account
    Warlock > Frost DK... then after them really it's anything. But those two are by far the best at putting up huge damage numbers and killing blows. Which is why you see so many RBGs running 2 dks or 3 locks even. Moonkins are pretty good at it, but get rid of solar beam vortex and they'd sit the bench like arms warriors or enh shamans or feral druids.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

I enjoy boomkin, frost dk, hunter, affliction lock and pretty much any healing spec in bg's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    Since you won't always have a healer, I'd suggest playing a ranged class. Melee are often forced to choose between terrible positioning and doing nothing; a competent ranged class can completely avoid a ton of damage in most encounters. I'd probably expect hunters and shadow priests to your best choices, with mage, warlock, and moonkin as other decent candidates.

What you actually go with is really going to depend on what you want to play though. Classes have different strengths and you really have to choose exactly what you're after in the end. If you want to keep deaths to a minimum, you could play a tank, healer, or possibly rogue; if you just want insane damage you'd go with a dk or moonkin, but you'd have pretty weak survivability.
    This guy gets it.

Play Frost DK if you want to do a ton of damage, but you'll probably end up dieing a lot. Some games you'll feel invincible and other games you'll get completely dominated. It all depends how much your team mates support you. Frost DK's also do very well against bad or undergeared players. The best part about Frost is that you don't need amazing gear to do decent damage. Obliterate is already close to 400% weapon damage with frost fever and blood plague. You don't need crit either just because of killing machine procs. Its a very new player friendly spec, but miserable to play if you're a more experienced player.

Personally, I think the best classes are either stealthers or ranged with a lot of immunities and healing. Shadow Priests and Hunters stand out to me as the best classes for any experienced player to use to its full potential.

Haven't played my Frost DK since cata, but in cata I was dead once I saw a rogue near me. I had the feeling as if that was the most unbalanced 1on1 ever in WoW history. Did anything significant change since then, or is it still Rogue >>>>>>>> Frost DK?

Though the Frost DK was also fun in random BGs. I had a LOT of fun with healers, which I think isn't possible any more as Necrotic isn't spammable thanks to the nerf it received. Also, topping damage meters was easy, usually it was enough to spam howling blast only. Pretty useless, but the result was an almost guaranteed rank 1 on the damage chart (though with very few killing blows).
    Last edited by Sarevoc; 2013-02-19 at 11:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevoc View Post
    Haven't played my Frost DK since cata, but in cata I was dead once I saw a rogue near me. I had the feeling as if that was the most unbalanced 1on1 ever in WoW history. Did anything significant change since then, or is it still Rogue >>>>>>>> Frost DK?

Though the Frost DK was also fun in random BGs. I had a LOT of fun with healers, which I think isn't possible any more as Necrotic isn't spammable thanks to the nerf it received. Also, topping damage meters was easy, usually it was enough to spam howling blast only. Pretty useless, but the result was an almost guaranteed rank 1 on the damage chart (though with very few killing blows).
    Yeah Rogues still completely dominate Frost Death Knights. If you play Unholy however, its the other way around...

Like I said in my original post. Frost DK's do better than every class against bad players or under geared people. The spec is literally designed to be the Grim Reaper of the bads while generally being a very new player friendly spec. Some players on the other team might be average/good and geared. Those people you have to look out for because 9/10 they will beat you in a 1v1. Frost DK's are among the worst 1v1 specs in the game just because it has a limited tool kit without any real utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    Are you actually serious? They don't have any form of sustained AoE damage and their traps are utterly useless...
    Freezing Trap is far from useless at any character level, glyphed Explosive Trap scores kills in Eye of the Storm and caps in Arathi Basin, and sustained AoE damage is pointless anywhere but rare situations in AV and Isle of Conquest. Yes, Hunters are actually great in random BGs.