Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sticking to only one character...

Well I am altoholic and in every game I play I usually end up with 5-6+ characters...I cannot resist the idea to play all classes but from the other hand I am jealous of people who can only focus on one character and get everything on him...A lot of times I tried this and chosen my "main" and said, thats it, from now on I will only play this toon, period. But then after some time I get bored and while looking other people playing different class I always want to play that class too...

It ends up to have all my classes at mediorce level of equipment and achievements...I don't remember any time to complete an event like summer festival or lunar festival e.t.c. because I was "busy" with my alts...in some MMOs that are little difficult to level, I usually end up without even get one char to max level In Aion for example, my chanter made it to level 47 and I had other 5 characters to level 30...In Lotro, my hunter is at 68 and have several others to 30+

What do you guys do it? How you can resist on playing multiply alts? How can I convince myself to focus on one char?
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

We don't. I regularly max each character, but not all at once. Sometimes I hit the most I can do on my warrior, so then I go back to my main, Darsithis, a Death Knight. I'll play him and max his CP and his VP and his JP for a week or two, then heal for a while on my priest...and max her JP or VP or whatever I feel like doing.

I still make Darsithis my priority for most achievements, though.
    SUCH INFRACTIONS
    MANY POST
    SO POWERFUL
    WOW

(Armory) | (Twitter)
    Global Moderator of MMO-Champion.com

I'm pretty single minded when it comes to WoW, and pretty much only play whatever main I choose for the expansion. The only reason I have alts is because when I want to reroll I have a very hard time choosing which to make my main. I can safely say that I am one of the most indecisive humans on the planet.

Grunt
    I play whats fun even if its a lvl 20 character. I never valor cap because its no fun doing dailies and doing at least one dungeon a day is also boring. I know that its adds another progress-system which atracts many players but after doing this "new stuff, new grind" game for 2 years I don't feel like doing it anymore.
    Also, there are thousands of people who do the same grind and that doesn't make someone stand out.

I made my main 8 years ago and still don't have an alt to endgame. One I got to 85 through Recruit a Friend, and I've gotten a warlock from TBC up to 72 now as of this year. I got my DK I made on WOTLK's launch day up to 73 this year, lol. I've got an orc warrior I got to 54.

And tons of alts in their 20s.

But only one end game, and it's what I do everything on. Elrith is my main, and WOW has always been the "Elrith" game to me. I see and experience everything through him, always will. I feel kind of sorry for people who don't experience the game that way, it must be a chore and very homogenized, but then again I get the urge to have tons of alts, I just lose the will after playing for an hour on someone else.

I figure what is the point after all the journey I've had and created with Elrith.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    And come on down and check out our WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I also say we don't. Most people that play video games do what they want in those games. People who max a character usually aren't fighting back the urge to level other characters, they actually want to max out that one. In your case you enjoy 1/2 leveling characters - but at the same time you get a broad understanding of all characters. I assume you are doing what you want to do. Why fight the urge to do what you want and force yourself to do something you don't want to do. If you are playing and enjoying yourself - that's all we can ask.

I'm a scrub at anything I don't master.
    I don't like being a scrub.

If you want to stick to one character you'll do it. Most common mistake is people trying to keep to one character thinking it's "the right way to go".

I raid 3 days a week on my main and very much enjoy it. but I spend most of the rest of the time that I'm playing on alts, doing alt runs or gearing them up. that's how I satisfy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    What do you guys do it? How you can resist on playing multiply alts? How can I convince myself to focus on one char?
    It's hard as hell, as a big "main" player picking a new main was incredibly difficult for me. My advice:

1) Play a bit of everything before choosing to commit too hard to one character. Get them to 90, and play around a bit.

2) Make sure your class is "good" at what you want it to do. Yes, you can raid as DPS on all of your characters. But if you like to play other roles, if you like to PvP, if you like to solo a lot, these all have different classes that are "good" at them.

3) Pick a class that has long-term value. If Blizzard likes to make sure they suck, it's probably not the best choice.

4) Above all, pick a main, even if it's serendipity factor (just random choice).

Its not really hard just choose a role you want to play, and then play that... For mop i wanted to play raidhealer so i rolled priest and did 16/16 and then i got bored with wow again. In Cata i played warr tank, In Witkj i played Dk tank Hunter dps, In bc and vanilla i raided with my rogue.

Easy peasy, I should mention that i usually have one alt, Vanilla i hajd a druid heal/tank alt And in Bc i Made my hunter i played with in wotlk. In Cata i played a new hunter (though only got to like 61) And now in mop i tried making a hunter alt but i got stuck on 87

Generally I go through an altoholic period every expansion at the beginning as I try to find what class fits me best (as it seems every expansion radically changes every class, or adds a new one). My first character to hit the cap is generally the one that becomes my main.
    Permanently unsubscribed as of 03/10/2014.

Been a fun run guys, but the game's officially moved into the "Milk the Playerbase" phase. And I for one don't intend to stick around as the cost of expansions go up, content in them goes down, and raids become further and further apart.
    Maybe I'll be back for WoW2, but probably not. - Slowpoke, the former Dokhidamo

I'm fine leveling, grinding, doing whatever, for one character... but I absolutely hate doing it more than once. I've started up numerous alts, but I've never seen any of them to max level. I stick to my main and try and do as much on him as possible.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I pick one toon each xpac and make that my main. I focus on this toon for achievements, gear, rep, etc. And, then I level alts and don't really care much about them. This means that I have a vanilla warrior that's stacked, a tbc pally that's maxed, a wotlk druid with everything, a cata lock that's pimp and now a mop monk that's the leader of the pack. Fortunately, account wide mounts, pets and achievements really paid off for someone like me. Now, if they'd just make a shared reputation pool, I'd be set.

Bottom line, playing one toon since launch would have probably made me quit three years ago, but keeping the game somewhat fresh by switching it up is becoming easier all the time.

I guess if I cared about being the greatest or most recognizable (enter class here) on the server, things might be different. But, I don't. Hell, I've been on the same server since launch and I barely even recognize any guild or player names these days.

Thanks a lot for all the answers

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I also say we don't. Most people that play video games do what they want in those games. People who max a character usually aren't fighting back the urge to level other characters, they actually want to max out that one. In your case you enjoy 1/2 leveling characters - but at the same time you get a broad understanding of all characters. I assume you are doing what you want to do. Why fight the urge to do what you want and force yourself to do something you don't want to do. If you are playing and enjoying yourself - that's all we can ask.
    I do like playing the alts and I do have fun doing it and you are totally right on what you say...that was what I was saying to myself also those years...the point is to have fun. but from the other hand I also understand that I am missing other things because of this...I know its hard to have it all and always you have to chose something over the other...The problem is that you end up jack of all trades, master of none...and I would really like to master a class
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Don't spread yourself too thin. Get as good as you possibly can on one particular class that you enjoy playing and evaluate yourself honestly:

Could I do something better that I'm currently inefficient at on this character? Could I tweak my keybinds at all to improve?

If you think you've truly done as good as you're capable of or just can't stand the sight of your main, then and only then consider leveling another toon and messing around.

I personally don't "resist" the urge to play alts, because I don't have a desire to want to level alts again really. Honestly, I'm jealous of people who level more than one character to max, since they get more variety in their play styles. I don't think you could convince yourself to play one character (and be happy doing it), if you usually play a variety of characters. I would just keep playing the way you enjoy playing, rather than forcing yourself to play a single character.

tbh I always wanted mmo that will never get me bored and have lots of things to do on my main. It would be cool if players would be able to have only 1 character per realm, it would feel like more like a world to me. I made alts in WoW becasue I was bored, and got too much spare time without a goal on my main in Cata, so far in MoP I made just monk to 90 because it's new class and that stuff, but I always stick with my main.

Quote Originally Posted by User007 View Post
    If you want to stick to one character you'll do it. Most common mistake is people trying to keep to one character thinking it's "the right way to go".
    I've found in past RPGs and MMOs it's actually when I lose focus on my main and starting playing too many alts that I burn out on the game from doing the same things over and over again. Even with options, there are only so many choices, being a new class isn't enough to keep me going. Having to see the same quests or zones multiple times makes me feel like I'm stuck.

To each their own.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    And come on down and check out our WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    I've found in past RPGs and MMOs it's actually when I lose focus on my main and starting playing too many alts that I burn out on the game from doing the same things over and over again. Even with options, there are only so many choices, being a new class isn't enough to keep me going. Having to see the same quests or zones multiple times makes me feel like I'm stuck.

To each their own.
    thats also true..I like the new abilities, the different gameplay is very refreshing, but I hate do the same things to reach my goals...although I do want to gear them, play them and repetitive things are not enough to stop me...
    also off topic, I followed your sig to devian art and found it ironic that your name is "Altman" , but you only play a main