Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Cigarettes are FAR worse than wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    You think WoW is more addictive than nicotine?

You can't be serious...

I can quit WoW much easier than I can quit smoking weed and quitting weed is a joke compared to nicotine.
    Very little of a smoking addiction has to do with nicotine. The nicotine addiction has never been hard to get rid off. It's the routine and undoing your brains hard-wiring that is. I can completely replace cigarettes with other nicotine products and still get withdrawal symptoms and slight panic attacks. If your addicted then your addicted to the product doesn't matter what toxins and poisons it's made of. Gambling addiction is a trick of the mind, just like a WoW addiction or a smoking/weed addiction. It's all up in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    Babies die from parents neglect all the time. Suddenly Wow is a huge culprit? What about the idiots that leave their child in the car to suffocate or freeze? DVT is really pushing it.

1/100,000 children develop DVT. 1/1000 adults develop it. It's easily treatable if caught. Unlike cancer which is silent and deadly, DVT causes extreme pain mainly in your legs and moves upwards. My brother in law has it, very active person and he's only 29. He's on blood thinners for life after the second clot.

My co-worker had a heart attack in his chair after a 4 hour Wow session. He was 28 and arteries were 80% clogged, no prior symptoms. Most people are predisposition-ed to many of these diseases. There's usually an unchecked health issue that's unrelated to sitting in your chair for 12 hours.
    Ah so because babies die from neglect all the time we should just ignore those that have died and will die in the future due the parents gaming habits? I'm sorry I do not see the words "WOW" or any combination of the words "World," "Warcraft" or "of" anywhere in my post so I am not sure how deduce that I was saying that WOW is a huge culprit.

As I have already explained in this thread the majority of gamers will not experience any problems with addiction but that does not mean that we should ignore its existence. It is, also, important that we do not react in a knee jerk fashion nor that we should diminish or attempt to excuse gamings involvement when these terrible tragedies happen.

As gaming becomes more and more wide spread the chances of people falling victim to addiction becomes greater and greater and every tragedy will be seized upon by a story hungry main stream press and out of touch politicians and there will be little argument in the defence of gaming when the majority of gamers are in denial that there might be a problem.

Cigarettes. WoW is only addicting cuz people let it be addicting. Cigarettes are addicting via the crap in 'em and an hour of smoking sounds more dangerous than an hour of WoW.

Deleted
    Addictions, especially mental ones, are easily breakable with enough willpower. Anyway, OT:

You can still have a social life and play WoW, whereas the physical aspects of smoking ALWAYS happen in some variety. So smoking is worse IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even though both are equally addicting I believe that this is a poor comparison.

Cigarettes effect you physically from the moment you start smoking them whether you like it or not.

Wow effects some but not others, some people let their lives go to shit due to addiction while others lead perfectly happy lives regardless of their addiction.

Which one is worse? Cigarettes due to the fact that you cannot prevent the effects of smoking unless you stop smoking. Wow as long as you manage your outside life you can play as much as you want.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

They say not exercising is the equivalent of smoking a pack of cigs a day, so WoW could be just as bad if you play it all day without going out. :P

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    Very little of a smoking addiction has to do with nicotine. The nicotine addiction has never been hard to get rid off. It's the routine and undoing your brains hard-wiring that is. I can completely replace cigarettes with other nicotine products and still get withdrawal symptoms and slight panic attacks. If your addicted then your addicted to the product doesn't matter what toxins and poisons it's made of. Gambling addiction is a trick of the mind, just like a WoW addiction or a smoking/weed addiction. It's all up in your head.
    Nicotine is a physical addiction, everything else you mentioned is not. (arguably weed but meh we won't go there). There's still the oral fixation and lifestyle addicition but if you're trying to tell me that nicotine isn't physically addicting you better back it up with a source.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Both but I quit on smoking now that I have my eCig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cigarettes, this isn't even a question.

Sure WoW is addictive, but not as addictive as Nicotine, which is pretty high on the "most addictive substances in the known universe" list, and is probably the highest on the list if you only count LEGAL substances.

Then even skipping past the subject of addiction, Cigarettes are phenominally bad for you, they have a whole host of horrible shit in them, compared to that WoW is practically a health resort.

Worst case scenario you play WoW too long you get a bit fat and remain a virgin till you're 30.

Worst case scenario with cigarettes? your body rots, falls apart and you die looking like a fucking zombie before you even hit 30.

Which do you think is the worst of the two scenarios?

Also.... does anyone else find the word "Addicting" annoying? I know it's a real word... but it just sounds wrong compared to "addictive".
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    YOuo are joking, right? Nicotine has been proven by numerous bouble blind, relevant and reliable studies to be more addictign than heroin. And while some addictions may be psychological, that doesn't make them any less dangerous or troubling than a physical addiction. Dumbass

Mod Edit: Please don't insult other users.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-02-21 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    What kind of fucked up non-sense of a question is that? Cigarettes are chemically addictive. People that are "addicted" to wow just have no self control, don't blame the game just because you can't control yourself.
    Ehhh I smoked for 2 years and decided nah im not gonna do that anymore and haven't had one for 6 months. People who say cigarettes are addicting kind of seem pathetic to me. Now alcohol that shits addicting.

I have quit WoW 6 times and have come back each time within 3-4 months. Only now have I officially quit. So IMO WoW since it fucked up my social life for a few years.

WoW can have some benefits i.e. Eye-Hand Coordination, creativity & reading (for RP'ers), reaction time, etc. But it can also cause to become mentally needy and feel like you're obligated to help others out by grinding rep, collecting gear, etc. It can consume your social life, lead to poor eating habits, poor sleeping habits, etc. But of course, these can be manageable by a person with even a minute amount of willpower.

Cigarettes? The cost of cigarette use alone, goes beyond WoW's months costs. The general health issues that are more likely to arise, especially if you're living in a somewhat polluted area or stressful environment. The fact that the various chemicals within can increase chances of cancer all over the body to occur is another issue. Plus it can damage the health of those around you. It leaves toxic residue in confined areas (i.e. a house = 3rd hand smoking). It smells horrible and permeates everything in its surroundings (worse than common strains (non-engineered) of marijuana).

For me personally, at least WoW doesn't affect my allergies and completely screw up my health. And, I have much more control over video game use, especially when school work, family, and friend time calls for it. With cigarettes I'd just end up deteriorating my crappy breathing situation and hastening the impending doom of my family's health history.
    "If I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all."

Deleted
    To be honest, you can quit every addiction, but i realy depends on how strong you are as a person.
    if you cant stop playing wow even if you dont want to play.
    then this is a great thing to think about
    Last edited by mmoccb63d9f879; 2013-02-21 at 07:21 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Nicotine is a physical addiction, everything else you mentioned is not. (arguably weed but meh we won't go there). There's still the oral fixation and lifestyle addicition but if you're trying to tell me that nicotine isn't physically addicting you better back it up with a source.
    I never said it wasn't. I just said that it wasn't hard to quit the nicotine, that has never been the reason why people fail to quit smoking. You're rid the nicotine after a week or so after quitting. The psychological urge to have another "fix/Cigarette" will never really leave you, I believe this is true for all addictions.

Quote Originally Posted by forwards1ca View Post
    YOuo are joking, right? Nicotine has been proven by numerous bouble blind, relevant and reliable studies to be more addictign than heroin. And while some addictions may be psychological, that doesn't make them any less dangerous or troubling than a physical addiction. Dumbass
    And I never made a comment about how nicotine addiction is non-existent, just that it isn't the hardest part of quitting. But I guess you haven't started with reading comprehension in school yet, nor social etiquette for that matter.

Id have to say WOW is worse. Pretty much kills social life. Sure smoking is bad, but smoking only has a chance of killing you, and thats only if you smoke a pack a day for years (Im sure there are rare cases of unlucky people, but in most cases its only hardcore smokers who get cancer). And yes there is a part of me that wants to quit playing and enjoy life more, but Ive been sucked in, and like now with the new patch coming out, I just have to raid. Its a horrible addiction.

Also wanted to add that psychological addiction is much much harder to overcome than physical addiction. Some may not agree, but weak minded people cannot conquer "mind over matter." If you want to quit cigarettes its easy. The conflict with psychological addiction is that a part of you doesnt want to quit, which makes the inner conflict hard to deal with.

You can't smoke in moderation and be healthy.

Anything which in moderation isn't bad for you - is better than smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    You can't smoke in moderation and be healthy.

Anything which in moderation isn't bad for you - is better than smoking.
    I beg to differ. Smoking in moderation never harmed anyone. Your lungs actually heal over time, its just the constant use many times a day which is bad.

cigarettes.. I mean you can't get cancer from playing wow, while you might get cancer from smoking cigarettes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravityx View Post
    I beg to differ. Smoking in moderation never harmed anyone. Your lungs actually heal over time, its just the constant use many times a day which is bad.
    Following your logic, it's still worse than WoW. WoW in moderation never harmed anyone. There are no lungs to heal over time here though.