Thread: computer help

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

computer help

Hey, i built myself a computer when i got back from deployment, and everything runs fine on it. except, its seems on any game i play at random times, it freezes, it doesnt blue screen on me, it just freezes the screen and i have to restart it, i cant for love of me figure it out, heres what im working with

AMD FX-8150 8CORE @3.60 GHZ
    ATI RADEON 7870 DOUBLE CARDX2 CROSSFIRED at 2gb memory ddr5
    32gb corsair vengeance
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 -- AMD 970
    1200 Watt Toughpower Grand

if it matters i have a 1tb, and 120SSD for harddrives, im running my os on the solid state only, but like i said for the life of me i cannot figure out why it crashes, its a random freeze and its frustrating

Deleted
    Is anything overheating?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    no, not at all. like i said it just freezes the screen mouse all of it

Deleted
    That sure sounds like overheating.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Asetek 550LC Liquid CPU Cooling System (AMD) - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)
    and my case has 4 fans in it, hmm how would i check, nothing appears to be running hot

What SSD are you using?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds like a CPU power or temp issue. If the cpu suddenly does not get enough power, it can possibly lock up without blue screening. Generally if the CPU overheats it will bluescreen once it hits the thresh hold, but if it suddenly spikes the temp too quickly its possible the mobo will auto shut it down and lock up the comp before it has a chance to blue screen. So, I would check temps, and also check voltage fluctuations in your CPU. You can monitor temps with something like Real Temp http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

And you can keep an eye on voltages and temps with something like

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Intel 330 series

Quote Originally Posted by bobsmith06 View Post
    Intel 330 series
    There are a bunch of cases reported where this drive has caused freezing issues.
    Have you checked Event Viewer for any info?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No I didn't check that, I also didn't think about that

It's your SSD. Get a firmware upgrade if available. Also check that your SSD isn't connected to the marvell sata6gb port, this can also cause problems. Otherwise, do the normal procedure of not letting your SSD hibernate etc.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    So should I just put windows on ny hdd and drop the ssd

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    It's your SSD. Get a firmware upgrade if available. Also check that your SSD isn't connected to the marvell sata6gb port, this can also cause problems. Otherwise, do the normal procedure of not letting your SSD hibernate etc.
    This board doesn't have marvell ports :P

@OP
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...&DwnldID=18455

The ssd firmware upgrade tool thingie.

Oh didn't see that. Try downloading new chipset drivers if firmware upgrade don't work. Could be your drivers aren't fully supporting your SSD in AHCI mode.