Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Angry Altoholism Creeping Up On Me

    So lately I have been switching characters a ton. After MoP came out I have a leveled a paladin (my main since 06) to 90, warrior to 90, shaman to 90 and now a hunter to 90. I have played them all for about a month each and then I got sick of playing all of them, for some reason. Now, I feel like leveling my rogue or make a druid.
    This really bothers me because I really want to stick to one character (and no, I am not going back to my paladin) that I can do all my playing on. Having 4 characters in 90 just makes the entire experience confusing and bothersome.

    If I was to continue on a new main, I would like to play a class that can both heal and dps (thinking about druid or just sticking to my shaman. I like the druid because you can pick your targets as feral)

    Any suggestions on what I could do to get out of this altoholic mindset?

  2. #2
    Steel yourself up and delete every ALT you've got. Make sure all their heirlooms and stuff are on them when they go.

    See how much you want to level new alts then.

  3. #3
    Mechagnome select20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Steel yourself up and delete every ALT you've got. Make sure all their heirlooms and stuff are on them when they go.

    See how much you want to level new alts then.

    Lol, funny you say that. I did the exact same thing. I started Vanilla with a Hunter, BC with a Shaman then in WotLK my main switched to a DK. I played only my DK till ToC came out. If anyone remembers during ToC, DK tanks were pretty much rejected for the current content and Paladins ruled the day. Tired of it, I level'd a paladin, Druid and Warrior so I would always be ready for balance changes. Never wanted to go though that kind of "Tank-Discrimination" again. Tired of all my unleveled alts staring me in the face every time I logged on, when Cata released the first thing I did was throw all my Heirlooms(I had every single one including the rings) on my Pally, Druid and Warrior and deleted them. Leaving only My Hunter (orginal toon), Shaman and DK. Neve wanted to level another toon.

    Well, that started a trend with me that hans't stopped. I had never been an Altoholic until I did that. Now in every game I play, from the very beginning I roll all the tank classes, a healer and a dps and "Stick" with all those. Sad I know. Right now I'm playing SWTOR and have been since it's headstart. I got all tank classes, working on a healer and a dps toon now.
    "A wise man fears and departs from evil, But a fool rages and is self-confident."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Steel yourself up and delete every ALT you've got. Make sure all their heirlooms and stuff are on them when they go.

    See how much you want to level new alts then.

    I've been thinking about that, but deciding which one to keep and which ones to delete is a tough thing to do.

  5. #5
    Had the exact same problem for like 3 years when i first started playing. Couldnt decide wich class to play as my main. Then started again in cataclysm, leveled a druid to 84 then rerolled to prot warrior and fell in deep love with the class. So i raided all of cata with my warrior, and in mop changed to a monk, since i like "really active tanking", and warrior became pretty much shield slam -> revenge -> sblock/barrier. Like the monk because you have to keep watch of shuffle, elusive brew, stagger and all sorts of other stuff, while focusing on the boss mechanics. It challenges me everyday, and every day i learn something new.

    Only alt problem that i have atm, is that after i get a class to 90 (got monk,pala and warr atm) I want to level another one, and not gear them at all. But i suppose its not too bad, since my monk is my active main.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Audox View Post
    So lately I have been switching characters a ton. After MoP came out I have a leveled a paladin (my main since 06) to 90, warrior to 90, shaman to 90 and now a hunter to 90. I have played them all for about a month each and then I got sick of playing all of them, for some reason. Now, I feel like leveling my rogue or make a druid.
    This really bothers me because I really want to stick to one character (and no, I am not going back to my paladin) that I can do all my playing on. Having 4 characters in 90 just makes the entire experience confusing and bothersome.

    If I was to continue on a new main, I would like to play a class that can both heal and dps (thinking about druid or just sticking to my shaman. I like the druid because you can pick your targets as feral)

    Any suggestions on what I could do to get out of this altoholic mindset?
    Whatever you do DON'T DELETE THEM. Just play on the one you really have the most fun or find the most entertaining.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Audox View Post
    I've been thinking about that, but deciding which one to keep and which ones to delete is a tough thing to do.
    Druid, because then you can tank, dps, or heal depending on how the mood takes you. Then all your bases are covered. Paladins can do it too, but druids sound more interesting to me than paladins (never played either one past 10). Also alphabetically they come first. If you can't decide then just flip a coin.

    Solving problems is easy if you never think twice and never look back!

  8. #8
    Playing one main is like having the will power to go work out for some people. It can be hard. But whatever you do, DO NOT DELETE YOUR CHARACTERS!!!

    You spent your time leveling them, just pick one and play it.

    Slap your self in the face if you re roll in a month or want to play another class.

  9. #9
    Well...are you having fun? Seriously, are you? If so, then why bother doing something you may not find as fun?

    I feel your pain, though, but even though I have 3 90s and 6 85s, I barely put any time/effort into any characters other than my shaman and warrior. Between the two, I cover all aspects of play (tank, heal, ranged and melee dps). If you forced me to pick one character only, it would be my shaman (main since late BC).

    It's hard to do for some people, though. I have a friend who is constantly rerolling/switching to find "that class" that he wants to stick to exclusively. He can play any of them very effectively, which I think is a good problem to have...sort of.

    I like playing every class in this game. I know for fact, though, there's no way I could have them all at an effective raiding level without playing damn near 24/7. Treat this expansion like vanilla and BC, where you had a main and maybe one alt; any other alts beyond that would be like pvp twinks or just for professions (the latter being why I haven't deleted my alts).

  10. #10
    High Overlord kennyisnotdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    150
    Maybe your play style has changed. You don't want to play alts but you want to level them??

    Why dont you get one of each class to 90 find the one you like ot raid on best. Do a few weeks on LFR with each. Then figure out whats suites your style now.

    I have nine 90s. I play 4 of them in LFR and Sha and that's game. You don't need to be attached to any of them. Soling old stuff is awesome when you have multiple 90s. Imagine now wanting the Alar mount and you can solo Kaelthas 9 times a week... I got the Azure drake in 1 week of farming on my 3 charecter.

    Theres alot more flexibility and advantages with multi toons.

  11. #11
    Thanks guys, some great tips here.

    I'm really considering leveling my druid. I've had him since 05, but never leveled him up. I will keep him on a different server, atleast, because seeing all the other 90 characters on the character screen is really distracting.

  12. #12
    The Patient Lana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    seoul
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Steel yourself up and delete every ALT you've got. Make sure all their heirlooms and stuff are on them when they go.

    See how much you want to level new alts then.
    i don't think you can delete any toon with heirlooms on them.
    Sig by Populaire

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Lana View Post
    i don't think you can delete any toon with heirlooms on them.
    Just trash those first then. Don't keep anything that'll make leveling alts easier, to avoid temptation.

  14. #14
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,394
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Steel yourself up and delete every ALT you've got. Make sure all their heirlooms and stuff are on them when they go.

    See how much you want to level new alts then.
    It's good advice actually. I deleted maybe 15 toons before MoP started. Now I have a main (shadow priest), my ancient frost mage and a baby shaman which I'm thinking about leveling and making my main. Deleting most, if not all, of your alts clarifies things greatly.

    Solving problems is easy if you never think twice and never look back!
    I'd think twice maybe but once I decide I'd never look back. But only twice. Don't obsess on it.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-15 at 08:44 PM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  15. #15
    High Overlord kennyisnotdead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    150
    What if you are looking for a raiding guild and they require you to have 2-3 alts for class stacking?

    I guess if your not looking for that level of playing it don't matter just don't sell yourself short of future needs.

  16. #16
    Best thing for this may just be plain old self control.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Best thing for this may just be plain old self control.
    Pshaw, you say that like such a thing is common around these parts.

  18. #18
    Blademaster Automaticc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    33
    I don't think you can go wrong with the druid. So much versatility there.
    When i first started leveling my alts I had no heirlooms and although it took a while I got my 10 toons to 80 midway through wrath. We only raided 2 days a week really so i had some time in the evenings to go alt hopping. I mainly leveled my alts because I was never big on professions or the AH so I would level toons and send the money to my main. ><. Sure, I've deleted a few and even cancelled some accounts, still have a main and still raid but now i level alts because i have friends and different servers and I enjoy leveling toons with them. (but the grind from 85-90 .OMG... /wrists)

  19. #19
    Your alts are calling to you... they're lonely and abandoned... how can you not play them...?
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  20. #20
    Herald of the Titans Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    2,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Best thing for this may just be plain old self control.
    Indeed.

    My other characters are mats and profession aids. That's it, I have no will to gear or achieve on them at all.

    My paladin is my main, and I keep most things to that character if it exerts more effort than I need to make the character functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by savutitus View Post
    Yeah, it's always WAR WAR WAR untill..BY ALL THAT IS HOLY DO YOU SEE THAT ENEMY OVER THERE?? GLORIOUS LOOT!!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •