Page 1 of 2
LastLast

History WoW, read and despair mr. and ms. panda

Any of this sound familiar?

"Here is what happneded as far as I can tell

somewhere around 1998: Work on WoW begins
    2000: Anet is formed Blizzard loses WoW's lead programmer and the people who create Bnet's network and go on to make an awesome PvP game.
    2002: 95% of Blizzard Noth leaves Blizzard. The people who made Diablo and Diablo2 are all gone. They also lose people like Bill Roper who werer important producers of former WC/SC totles
    2002: Jeff Kaplan is hired as a designer, he has no experience in game design, but knows Rob Pardo, VP of deisgn, personally. They were both former leaders of the EQ uber raiding guild Legacy of Steel.
    later in 2002: Steig Hedlund Lead designer of WoW leaves and is now working on Gods Heroes. Jeff Kaplan inexplicably is promoted to Lead Design.
    around that same time in 2002: various other designer/ programmers and at least one team lead aleave and found Red 5 studios.
    2004: WoW is realease but half of the original Blizzard is gone. Of the big names only Pardo and Metzen is left. The game that is released was mostly made by people like Stieg Hedlund and polished by Kaplan's team, which includes replacements like Tom Chilton(Kalgan in WoW and Evocare in UO)
    Jan 2005: Its been about a year, with an uber raider at the helm 5 top end raids have been released and nothing to balance them. The game has morphed from its original design into a raiding game. Non-raiders are incredibly pissed. PvP are getting tired of the crappy honor system. People like me see the writing on the wall and cancel our accounts.

It took about 2 years for them to screw things up completely but from what we know of blizzard's speed that makes sense. It only took them 7 months to screw up PvP. if you look at the history you can see the seeds of all WoW's current problems from bad networks to raid imbalance to bad pvp. They lost people who could have delivered all those, but not so early that the original game wasn't good. I have no idea why so many people left around 2001-2002 but they did.

Now they are run by a jumped up unqualified EQ raider who hates pvp and thinks non-raiders are inferior and by replacements from other games such as UO. Tom Chilton ( Evocare/Kalgan), the PvP Lead Deisgner, was apparently the Lead Dev on an uber item based expax for UO that many credit with seriously screwing up UO pvp. Sound familar?

The old Blizzard is dead, welcome to the new Blizzard."

full thread: http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums....threadId=86993

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It sounds like the usual whining. Nothing new to see here.

surely the joke is on all the people who left WoW? even without them it became the greatest MMORPG the world has ever seen.

if WoW was so screwed up, why doesn't someone just make something better and cash in on millions and the fame it would bring.

Deleted
    Where is the despair? Its 2013 .. everything they touched turned to gold. Whats is wrong with mr and ms panda?

You are one crazy dude

10+ Year Old Account
    Bailed on Blizzard before wow, how stupid of all them people, they could have been rich.

10+ Year Old Account
    I truly hope for my sanity the OP is not playing WoW.

It does sound like something someone would post on the official forums, yes

Edit: Didn't even look at the link, just assumed. Silly me
    Last edited by Puffman; 2013-02-19 at 02:22 AM.

i dont see what this has to do with anything O-O i play wow for the story. metzen is and always has been the head honcho when it comes to the story and where it goes. so as long as they dont fuck up like they did in bc i will keep playing.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet, WoW has more subscribers than all other western MMOs combined. Guess we didn't need those folks after all.

Deleted
    I have to make another post.

This thread bothers me ... are you aware how everything turned out after 2005? In which timeline are you living btw?

That whole post was hilarious. I especially loved when you gave credit to Tom Chilton for screwing up UO pvp. I take it you've never played UO and aren't aware that pvp in it was only fun for one person. The person who didn't die and lose all of their belongings. While it was fun to be a PK it certainly was not fun for nearly everyone else playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just read the OP's link - this thread is a pseudo-necro of a thread on another forum from from 2006. Someone please lock this madness.

So what gestalt11 and yourself (by association in quoting his post) are trying to say, is that Blizzard was this way from the start? I'd say they've done quite well for themselves.

Given a dream development team, every game could be better. Blizzard worked with what they had, and they've had 8 years of profits because of it. In the closing argument, you (gestalt11) are trying to project a possible future scenario based on the history of employees the company has.

All of that for a PvP whinge, crazy kids these days.

And yet without Blizzards resources only one or two of them have produced anything that was even noticed in the industry. While every good company needs good people, all the awesome people in the world aren't jack without the resources to produce the product.

Whatever their reasons for leaving, other than the Blizzard North guys, you never hear anyone bad mouth them as a company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    And yet, WoW has more subscribers than all other western MMOs combined. Guess we didn't need those folks after all.
    He forgot:
    2007: Blizzard launches secret codes into the battle.net, they turn their customers into sheeple (tm)
    2013: Blizzard still mind-controls nearly 10 million drones with their software, despite severale setbacks with loss of slaves the plan works.

Actually, Greg Street tried to stop me over a secret twitter attack from posting this, so please keep silent, I don't want him to find out that their software on my computer is failing.

So your point is that the new Blizzard is doing just fine? Otherwise, what was your intent in posting this?

First response to the original thread:

"Yep its a sad, sad, story, well in a few more months we'll have Age of Conan and Gods and heroes to play so it won't suck as much."

GUESS NOT.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

What did i just read... give me the 2mins i wasted back please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still waiting to see what happened since 2005? this timeline sucks lol
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by starkey View Post
    Still waiting to see what happened since 2005? this timeline sucks lol
    Age of Conan, Warhammer Online and SWToR happend.