View Poll Results: How do you prefer new races?

Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pandaren style neutral, pick a faction.

    20 17.24%
  • One race to each faction, just like belf/goblin and draenei/worgen

    39 33.62%
  • Don't care

    7 6.03%
  • No more new races!

    13 11.21%
  • Neutral or faction aligned based on what makes more sense for the race

    32 27.59%
  • Other (write in explanation in thread with OTHER in bold at the top to let people see)

    5 4.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    I would prefer two new races. Each to their own faction.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    tbh I think the faction crap has run its course.

    Nah, humans are still a far larger portion of the population than either elf. According to realmpop.com humans are at 16.9%, Blood Elves 14.6% and Night Elves 11.7% for a range of 80-90 playerbase on US servers
    TBH I prefer the facton aligned races because they fill niches and, in the case of horde races, get more development later on.

    I can't picture Pandaren being relevant to a whole lot after Pandaria, or showing up a whole lot in say, a legion expac.

    The issue with Alliance races is that, because each time Blizz has tried to give them something 'new' it's been something that hasn't fit as well and so they've sort of atrophied whereas Blood Elves have the whole sunreaver thing going on.
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  3. #23
    Herald of the Titans Khaza-R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    2,734
    2. We REALLY don't need more elves, we have two elf races already and they outnumber pretty much every other race.
    We need snake elves though.

    Good to know it was meant to be terrifying lol.

  4. #24
    I like the idea of neutral races because either way they pay more attention to one faction or anothers counterpart. Who got more attention? Blood elves or Draenei? Worgen or Goblins? Such a thing doesn't happen without the inevitable faction bias and they are free to develop the background story of races in a more meaningful way.

  5. #25
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    I like the idea of neutral races because either way they pay more attention to one faction or anothers counterpart. Who got more attention? Blood elves or Draenei? Worgen or Goblins? Such a thing doesn't happen without the inevitable faction bias and they are free to develop the background story of races in a more meaningful way.
    And we haven't seen the Tushui or Houjin since the Wandering Isle, have we?
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    And we haven't seen the Tushui or Houjin since the Wandering Isle, have we?
    But we have seen plenty of the Shado pan.

  7. #27
    The Lightbringer Skytotem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,602
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    But we have seen plenty of the Shado pan.
    They're not the ones we play though.

    The only reason we're seeing lots of pandaren is because're in their homeland this time around. That might not be the case for future neutral races.
    You are now future Jack Noir.

    Presently, you are trapped in a single moment, which increasingly feels like an eternity. Your boredom is surpassed only by your all consuming rage and contempt for existence itself.

  8. #28
    I am Murloc! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    5,630
    The answer is obvious: Leper Gnomes for the horde, High Elves for the alliance.

  9. #29
    Faction-aligned, it feels weird to kill off a fellow pandaren in bgs. Pandaren should have been the beginning of a third faction imo.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    1. Saying High elves and blood elves are the same race is kind of like saying Chinese and Japanese people are the same....
    No it's not. They're the same race, demonic corruption and all. There was a lore panel a while back that went over this, blue-eyed high elves aren't even a thing anymore. Apparently demonic magic is similar to nuclear fallout in that it permeates the landscape and continues to affect those exposed to it, so the high elves that didn't take on the demon magic like Kael's followers still have the corruption. They've technically been the same race the whole time, it's just that the "high elves" didn't like the idea of turning to demon magic to sate their addiction, while "blood elves" were on board. Now with the cleansing of the Sunwell and what not, I'd be surprised if they didn't rejoin into a single faction.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon View Post
    Now with the cleansing of the Sunwell and what not, I'd be surprised if they didn't rejoin into a single faction.
    Sunwell was cleansed years ago now, and the elves don't really seem to be getting along any better.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    The answer is obvious: Leper Gnomes for the horde, High Elves for the alliance.
    Now we just need the question you answered.

  13. #33
    Fluffy Kitten Callei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    10,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    One might argue that the Pandaren, as they were originally conceived, fit very well in Thrall's horde, or the alliance, but had no business joining Garrosh's horde.
    As they were originally conceived, they'd still have made a perfect bi-faction race. As for their place in Garrosh's Horde, it's kind of a double-whammy. Most of their interaction with the Horde to that point had been with quirky goblins and honorable, big-hearted tauren. Orgrimmar was a serious case of culture shock, and sometime between Garrosh's tirade and the arena deathmatch, it's implied that Ji and the Huojin Adventurer realize they've passed the point of no return and had gotten themselves in over their head. Aysa, Jojo, and the Tushui Adventurer have a similar moment when Varian makes it clear (though regretfully so) that they can't maintain friendships across faction lines due to the security risks involved (while the pandaren can trust each other to be sensible, their allies can't).

    It basically served to establish how Varian and Garrosh had developed since their last appearances in Cataclysm and Tides of War while introducing the pandaren to their new home factions--Varian treats the pandaren with respect and expects the pandaren to aid in return for being given aid, Garrosh makes it clear that he expects you to help prop up his legacy, your culture be damned.

    Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

  14. #34
    I really don't get the whole Pandaren faction concept.

    Fine, I'm a dude who prefers action to talk. I join the Horde.
    My buddy on the other hand prefers diplomacy to action. He joins the Alliance.

    We meet on the battlefield. We can't communicate with one another for lord knows what reason despite coming from the Wandering Isle anyway. Then we kill each other because we chose to be on different factions...? What sort of messed up logic is that? Sure as heck doesn't seem to fit the Pandaren.

    Keep entire races on one faction, I say.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    TBH I prefer the facton aligned races because they fill niches and, in the case of horde races, get more development later on.

    I can't picture Pandaren being relevant to a whole lot after Pandaria, or showing up a whole lot in say, a legion expac.

    The issue with Alliance races is that, because each time Blizz has tried to give them something 'new' it's been something that hasn't fit as well and so they've sort of atrophied whereas Blood Elves have the whole sunreaver thing going on.
    The problem with factions at large is one side is always going to preferential treatment while the other side is just given a second thought at best and thrown out there.

    Metzen himself said he has trouble writing story for the Alliance; if you can't write a compelling story for both sides of the faction divide you generated in said story for the specific purpose of compelling lore you are failing miserably at telling the story. The one option is to stop writing and let someone else take over, but that is dangerous. It's not that writers can't possibly write anything good. It's that they only write for what interests them and that clearly falls along a faction boundary. I think if writers can break free from the BS of "it's easier for me to write for (Horde) because I can (insert thought process/reasoning) and I just lack the creative ability to write anything for (Alliance) that isn't falling into a tolkien reference at its best." they could make a far better story.

    That's because the things NOT tied into factions, like Pandaria's lore, with mantids, mogu, Titans, and ancient mysteries etc. are so very well done.

  16. #36
    Fluffy Kitten Callei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground
    Posts
    10,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Syio View Post
    I really don't get the whole Pandaren faction concept.

    Fine, I'm a dude who prefers action to talk. I join the Horde.
    My buddy on the other hand prefers diplomacy to action. He joins the Alliance.

    We meet on the battlefield. We can't communicate with one another for lord knows what reason despite coming from the Wandering Isle anyway. Then we kill each other because we chose to be on different factions...? What sort of messed up logic is that? Sure as heck doesn't seem to fit the Pandaren.

    Keep entire races on one faction, I say.
    They actually covered that at Blizzcon. You're not out there screaming For the XYZ! when you're in a BG. Pandaren look at battlegrounds as high-stakes contests of skill. If a Tushui and Huojin pandaren meet on the battlefield, in-lore they're a lot more relaxed and friendly about the combat, but due to the way the game's set up and the community's proclivity for trash talk, they can't do that ingame.

    Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendia View Post
    OTHER

    Just redo the current models already, FFS!It would go much father than a new race, imo.
    ^This right here. I think we have enough races as it is. Take the time with the new expansion to really update the character models. Then in the last expansion they can introduce whatever race they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedni View Post
    There is no hidden roll. Only paranoia.
    "I was top dps and one of the 17 DPS below me won loot! CONSPIRACY!"
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
    -Bertrand Russell

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    They actually covered that at Blizzcon. You're not out there screaming For the XYZ! when you're in a BG. Pandaren look at battlegrounds as high-stakes contests of skill. If a Tushui and Huojin pandaren meet on the battlefield, in-lore they're a lot more relaxed and friendly about the combat, but due to the way the game's set up and the community's proclivity for trash talk, they can't do that ingame.
    The thing is, that can work for anyone. BGs become War Games, Training Exercises etc. Trash talk is always there and knows no faction anyways.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    They actually covered that at Blizzcon. You're not out there screaming For the XYZ! when you're in a BG. Pandaren look at battlegrounds as high-stakes contests of skill. If a Tushui and Huojin pandaren meet on the battlefield, in-lore they're a lot more relaxed and friendly about the combat, but due to the way the game's set up and the community's proclivity for trash talk, they can't do that ingame.
    Yeah think I read that. It's still pretty absurd to me. I mean it's a faction war with causalities unless they mean to imply Pandaren don't take death in these faction wars seriously. In which case I'm even more stumped; There's your childhood buddy going to get slaughtered by your comrades and you're okay with that?

  20. #40
    Brewmaster jahasafrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,310
    I voted [Pandaren style neutral, pick a faction]. I liked how Blizzard handled the neutrality of the Pandaren and I think it just makes sense that any future races we meet, be they from Azeroth or another planet, would be divided as to which faction to join.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •