Question Boss raiding with friends or with guildmates?

Boss raids, do you prefer to do it with your RL friends or with your guildies?

10+ Year Old Account
    I do both! It's the best.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're at all serious about WoW raiding, my experience is it should not be done with IRL friends. I haven't actually done it myself, but I've been a part of a raiding guild where a group of people knew each other IRL, including the guild master. This group of people stuck together no matter what, and it was impossible to reason with them. This ultimately lead to the guild disbanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I consider my Guildmates friends & I do raid with some RL friends in my guild, So I got the best of both worlds.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

It depends but I want to go with my friends more because I already experienced having a greedy guildmates over loots.

Most of my RL friends who I knew prior to WoW's release are really bad at the game. The ones who aren't all quit long ago (BC). I used to prefer to raid with RL friends on days my main runs didn't go but I don't think I'd share that opinion anymore if they all renewed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beace View Post
    If you're at all serious about WoW raiding, my experience is it should not be done with IRL friends. I haven't actually done it myself, but I've been a part of a raiding guild where a group of people knew each other IRL, including the guild master. This group of people stuck together no matter what, and it was impossible to reason with them. This ultimately lead to the guild disbanding.
    It's not always the case. Most of my guildmates at my former guild, including myself, know each other in real life, and there was never an issue of switch roles, classes, quitting or coming back as a raider. Priority wasn't given just because you were a real life friend.

OT: Friends. The only reason I put myself through 9 hours of raids every week, staying up late and losing sleep was because I loved the people I raided with.

It would depend on the friends. I have maybe a dozen HC Raiders on my real.ID, of which I've raided with 7 or 8 of them. The only problem I have with raiding with friends is that you tend to develop cliques, and in a 25 man that can lead to some friction. My own experience talking, but when I joined a HC progression raiding guild in Wrath I was probably the only person who didn't spend all of their time with a small subset of people. Sure, I was welcomed warmly enough and included in whatever I put myself forward for, but you can often feel excluded if you're in the cliques.

For a 10m guild, assuming all 10 are good friends then I don't see anything wrong with it. If anything, it'll make you better players. When I raided with Treelife (I've known him for about 16 years) I didn't need to ask him for anything and he'd get Hands as required, it was just a given that we'd help each other because we've had that much experience playing together in-game. If you have a full 10 man working as a machine, then it'll only serve to make you more effective. And ofc, the more experienced players you get the better it goes. If you can assemble a group of people who know each other and are consistently good at their roles, then a tightly knit group is bound to eventually happen.

Well I used to raid with one real life friend. But apart from the dungeons that we did, I hated it. He was so slow at everything.

My other real life friends had a guild on horde side and I never wanted to be a part of the horde. Ofcourse I made alts just for the sake of playing with them once in a while. But seriously I couldn't stomach more then just leveling with them. They were just so bad and so laid back vs me being all "hardcore/elitist". I mean I didn't yell at them or talked bad to them. I tried to teach them but well my enthousiasm or obsession never rubbed off on them. That said, they never really were any good at any other games we played either. But then I didn't care much, we just laughed etc and had a beer.

So no I would never want to raid with them ever. I want to remain friends with them not scare them away

both so long as the friends are skilled. nothing drags a raid down quicker than unskilled players.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Progression/Heroic raiding with guildies/good in-game players and normals/LFR with friends.

Of course, I only have one RL friend that plays the game. Most of my RL friends are/would not be very good at WoW and it would be endlessly frustrating to raid with them.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

doing raids with RL friends will lessen the risk of being scammed tremendously. you'll be surprised by how online friends can change so fast once a billion dollar item gets dropped and your friend picked it up. i saw far too many friends turn their leaf over just for in-game currency :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoist View Post
    Boss raids, do you prefer to do it with your RL friends or with your guildies?
    Neither all my friends quit ages ago and my guildmates are lazy and when they weren't lazy they were pretty bad in general.

Arent they both?
    I've got to known my guildmates IRL and between them and let's say my best irl friends I'd rather raid with my guildmates.
    They are the reason raiding is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Korrah View Post
    Arent they both?
    I've got to known my guildmates IRL and between them and let's say my best irl friends I'd rather raid with my guildmates.
    They are the reason raiding is fun!
    I am pretty sure most people in the guild - you haven't seen in Real Life. So no they aren't "real friends" they are internet friends.
    And I am sure you started out in that guild not being "friends" either.

None of my IRL friends play ):

I've run into issues in the past raiding with IRL friends. They weren't exactly the best raiders and held back the group. It wasn't really their faults (they were trying) but it kinda made me resent them a little. I know that sounds terrible, but that's also why I avoid doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Neither all my friends quit ages ago and my guildmates are lazy and when they weren't lazy they were pretty bad in general.
    i think it's time for you to look for another guild pal. find another that is more active in raids. there are a lot out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    I've run into issues in the past raiding with IRL friends. They weren't exactly the best raiders and held back the group. It wasn't really their faults (they were trying) but it kinda made me resent them a little. I know that sounds terrible, but that's also why I avoid doing it.
    whenever me and my friends fail a boss hunt or dungeon raid, we throw insults at each other and call names but then just laugh it off at the end of the day. it's one of those memories that always gets brought back whenever we have drinking sessions and just laugh till our asses drop.