1. #1

    Had a terrible night

    God I had an awful night last night. I legitimately think I might stop tanking anything I have to queue for. First and foremost a friend of mine just got to level 90 and was going through and doing the MSV LFR. We were in the second half and I swear the other tank had their taunt bound to Jab. (I think Brewmasters use Jab a lot but you get the idea) He pulled spirit kings off me every time and I don't think I'm that terrible.

    Well first he wipes the raid with Massive Attacks. Granted I feel like they should have just let him die and I could tank him in the group properly but 1 or 2 dps would be stacked with him and die because he was pulling the boss aay from the group non stop. Probably to avoid aiming Annihilate at the raid but honestly who cares that doesn't one shot people.

    Elegon was pretty smooth all things considered and we reached Will. I told him I would take the left boss he would take the right. When the bosses came out I was linked to the left boss through Magnetic Armor. After a few seconds the other tank comes over towards my boss and starts tanking it, again I think he was taunting on CD. The other boss meanwhile is rampaging around the raid killing everyone. This would have been fine, other tanks fault right? Nope no one knows about Magnetic Armor apparently and thought I was lying when I said I couldn't move more than ~10 yards away from the boss I was linked to which the other tank was then tanking.

    Either way I end up vote kicked along with the other tank. I was livid over an hour and a half and I didn't even get my extra VP for the week. So I say fine whatever a guild mate asks me to go do Sha of Anger which on my low pop server is kind of rare. I say fine get in the group wait around for a half hour for everyone to find their flying mounts or whatever they all take so long doing. Show up pull the boss, 5 tanks. I started on the boss get MCed so another tank takes over the boss. When my MC wears I grab adds along with one of the other tanks. Not sure what the other 2 tanks were doing but as always the wipe was blamed on "the tanks" and all 5 of us got removed.

    Are they serious? My #1 damage taken was from Ire, along with the druid tank. I'm just sick and tired of being harassed when I do my job but someone else doesn't. Not to mention the ignorance about what tanks are actually doing in fights and the mechanics I have to deal with. Sorry for the little bloggy post but just had an awful night. After that Sha attempt I just logged off. Nothing is worth getting treated like a second class citizen like this.

  2. #2
    well, if blizzard one day decides to let warlocks tank, than I can cover your spot for instant queues and main character-like spotlight on fights where both the bad guys and healers are all focused on you
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  3. #3
    Warlocks had tanked several times.
    IM TEH RET! er... teh holy... or it was teh prot?!
    This bro told a cool story on 2009-12-03 and proudly took part in the banfest.

  4. #4
    Sounds like a bad case of the hivemind mentality people adopt in LFR. A tank fails? No problem, remove all tanks. Don't have to be nice about it either - if you can flame the guy a bit before kicking him, that's preferable. I mean, what are the odds you'll ever meet the guy again?

    Only you know how good you are at tanking. They just chose the path of least resistance towards solving a problem and didn't consider the social consequences (because in LFR, there are none). Have a laugh about their single-mindedness and move on.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    well, if blizzard one day decides to let warlocks tank, than I can cover your spot for instant queues and main character-like spotlight on fights where both the bad guys and healers are all focused on you
    Have at it man, there are times you feel absolutely great, tanking on Sha of Fear while relatively easy just makes me feel so epic like I'm the only thing protecting my group. I even feel awesome when I dance well on Will but you're always the first thing blamed when anything goes wrong. It's frustrating I'll tell you.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,390
    In the case of the monk it was most likely Captain Raidfinder Complex. It was a single tank fight and he insisted that HE was the tank for the job. I run into it very often regardless of how much i visibly overgear the other tank. It is something you will just need to deal with or don't do raid finder for capping your valor.


    Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Tuqui-tuqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    well, if blizzard one day decides to let warlocks tank, than I can cover your spot for instant queues and main character-like spotlight on fights where both the bad guys and healers are all focused on you
    It's easy to tell when someone has never tanked extensively because they think that tanks get treated like kings wherever they go.

    The only positive out of career tanking are the short waits. Everything else is demoralizing. From DPS who are in a hurry to clear everything at their speed. Warriors, dks, druids, monks who are not queued up as tanks but decide to do so when inside. When everyone starts cursing and belittling you because you can't peel away the group of mobs they decided to pull before I was done establishing aggro on the initial pull. When the boss is running around one-shotting DPS because they decided to top the charts destroying my established aggro. Add gear into the equation. "NO! YOU ARE TANK YOU DON'T NEED DPS GEAR!" "I NEED THAT TANKING PIECE BECAUSE ONE DAY I WILL MAY, I DONT KNOW, TANK!" Now, imagine all this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until you reach 90. And at 90 it begins again.

    Believe me when I tell you that I have a pretty thick skin. But I seriously do not wish the above on anyone.
    I'm still thinking about it...


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
    Have at it man, there are times you feel absolutely great, tanking on Sha of Fear while relatively easy just makes me feel so epic like I'm the only thing protecting my group. I even feel awesome when I dance well on Will but you're always the first thing blamed when anything goes wrong. It's frustrating I'll tell you.
    that's the price you pay for faster queues, spotlight and leadership. you are more important than a random dps, so your mistakes are much less likely to go unnoticed. the problem is when people notice the other tank's mistakes and they don't know which one of you did it. in that case, when you feel things are going awkward, prepare yourself to point fingers and blame the other tank for his mistakes, explaining everything that happened. random people don't have enough patience to go through logs and see who did what. kicking 2 people is as easy as kicking a single one.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 03:46 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    It's easy to tell when someone has never tanked extensively because they think that tanks get treated like kings wherever they go.

    The only positive out of career tanking are the short waits. Everything else is demoralizing. From DPS who are in a hurry to clear everything at their speed. Warriors, dks, druids, monks who are not queued up as tanks but decide to do so when inside. When everyone starts cursing and belittling you because you can't peel away the group of mobs they decided to pull before I was done establishing aggro on the initial pull. When the boss is running around one-shotting DPS because they decided to top the charts destroying my established aggro. Add gear into the equation. "NO! YOU ARE TANK YOU DON'T NEED DPS GEAR!" "I NEED THAT TANKING PIECE BECAUSE ONE DAY I WILL MAY, I DONT KNOW, TANK!" Now, imagine all this over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over until you reach 90. And at 90 it begins again.

    Believe me when I tell you that I have a pretty thick skin. But I seriously do not wish the above on anyone.
    I have 2 tanks. I don't play them because while the role is a lot of fun, the tanking classes are made of shit. the best thing about tanking is the main character feel. peer pressure is the price you pay for it.

    I don't really care about what people think of me, but I do care about what I think of what I am doing.
    Last edited by checking facts; 2013-02-19 at 04:04 PM.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    In the case of the monk it was most likely Captain Raidfinder Complex. It was a single tank fight and he insisted that HE was the tank for the job. I run into it very often regardless of how much i visibly overgear the other tank. It is something you will just need to deal with or don't do raid finder for capping your valor.
    I'm fine with Mr Captain Raid Finder. He can tank I don't really care, it's the killing people with Massive Attacks by running around in circles and just not even correcting it when people tell you. Elegon went smoothly because he had Elegon, I don't mind off tanking, but I think that can show my other major problem which is ignorance of tank mechanics. People know tanks grab the big add on Elegon but I'll bet 5 out of the other 23 people know that the tank has to move the add off the platform below 20% so his explode doesn't hurt as much. I get yelled at for being out of range when I'm just doing my job properly.

    I even run into this a bit with my 10m. My raid leader has no clue what tanks do on fights. In fact I don't think anyone else in the group except me and my other tank know 100% what's going on with us. Thanksfully we've gotten to the point where my Raid leader just smiles and nods whenever I say I have the tank stuff handled.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •