Scheduled maintenance for 12 hours?

I know we shouldn't expect the patch anytime soon, but why would they want to do maintenance for 12 hours if a patch isn't being released? I know Tuesday has always been that day, but why is it longer today than any other non-patch Tuesday we're used to?

My bet would be the lack of maintenance last week combined with some early prep for 5.2 in a couple weeks. Maybe they're trying to get a smoother roll-out on 5.2 than they've had on some patches in the past.

Thats very possible, you think thats why we've had this "pre-download" going?

10+ Year Old Account
    probably something serious server-side, since Diablo 3 is going down for 12hr as well, and I'm sure SC2 will be offline too.

Maybe authentication server upgrades?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Most likely Battle.net upgrades in preparation for the SC2 expansion that comes out in a couple weeks.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    Most likely Battle.net upgrades in preparation for the SC2 expansion that comes out in a couple weeks.
    That actually makes the most sense of anything, probably in line with the authentication upgrades. So it doesn't get in the way of 5.2 nor the release of HoS

10+ Year Old Account
    Without knowing anything personally it's fair to mention that when maintaining large network infrastructures it's not uncommon to have stuff you do once a week, stuff you do once a month and stuff you do every 3 months, etc. When you do the every three month things, you're probably still doing the weekly and monthly stuff as well so it adds up.

The upcoming patches and expansions probably are part of it too.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Seeing as the HotS pre-patch is rumored to hit tomorrow it's most likely related to that and a general maintenance session for Bnet as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Without knowing anything personally it's fair to mention that when maintaining large network infrastructures it's not uncommon to have stuff you do once a week, stuff you do once a month and stuff you do every 3 months, etc. When you do the every three month things, you're probably still doing the weekly and monthly stuff as well so it adds up.

That makes sense, yeah.

I'm glad you guys made it clear, when I saw this my face kinda might as well have looked like my avatars :3

They better make sure everyhing works BEFORE 5.2 and HotS so it does make sense.

Before major patches and even before pre-patch content downloads arrive there are often major maintenance's scheduled. Also every few months theres a large one.

also with the starcraft expansion, theres bound to be a major pre-patch maintenance
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2013-02-19 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post

Ahhhhh. Reminds me of my computer maintenance days in the military. PMIs (preventive maintenance inspections) Daily, weekly, monthly, 6-month and annual.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Battle.net needs updates for HotS, and their site needs updates for the Blizzcon ticket traffic.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)