Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    Deleted

The US to spend 400 billion $ to buy planes

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...6312-1,00.html

"Marine Major Aric "Walleye" Liberman was uncharacteristically modest for a Navy SEAL turned fighter pilot. He had just landed an F-35--one of the 2,457 jets the Pentagon plans to buy for $400 billion, making it the costliest weapons program in human history--at its initial operational base late last year. "

There's a larger article, but you can click and read it. Did you wonder why NASA doesn't have money or why prices go up for you or why there's a crysis? Well there you go, because you spend 400 billion $ on military planes.

I guess planes deteriorate over time, so they need to keep buying new once every now and then? I guess, a buy off over 2000 new jet's must have been planned for quit some time. Anywho, it seems like a wierd time to buy it right now, rather than postpone it maybe 5 years.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

You wonder why we are how many TRILLION into debt? If you are going to spend it on something, might as well be something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    You wonder why we are how many TRILLION into debt? If you are going to spend it on something, might as well be something useful.
    *Cough* Healthcare and infrastructure. *Cough*

Haha funny that millions die in the US because of poor healthcare system, and then the Government goes and spends ridiculous amounts of money on its millitary EVERY YEAR. Im not even from the US btw, but I think its really sad that the US spends so much on "Defence" when their own citizens are suffering because they would rather spend the money bombing other countries people. Really just stop. And its not just the US, every country should prioritize their own people's well being before thinking about harming other countries.

Agree so hard. I do enjoy awesome things like fighter jets and new weapon systems, but its not an efficient use of our money when the current enemy hides in caves and makes houses out of sticks and mud.

400 billion in spending could be about $1,100 bucks in the pockets of every american citizen, children included.

Anyways, this is what our society is basically asking for when they want the gov to spend money. The public elected this, and wasting your money is what the government is good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    But in the military industrial way of thinking, if you don't buy the planes they'll lay off workers and jobs are more important than making sure your citizens have access to healthcare. Eventually this country will crumble just like the Soviet Union. I just hope I've emigrated by then.

Got to love out of control spending during one of the worst financial catastrophes we've ever seen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Did you wonder why NASA doesn't have money or why prices go up for you or why there's a crysis?
    There was a Crysis because the developers saw a gap in the market for yet another high tech fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    I guess planes deteriorate over time, so they need to keep buying new once every now and then? I guess, a buy off over 2000 new jet's must have been planned for quit some time. Anywho, it seems like a wierd time to buy it right now, rather than postpone it maybe 5 years.
    They usually take maintainance cost into account, not sure if they've done that in the article though. But when you offer a country a deal you usually take lifetime cycle costs into account, ie a 10-year deal offering maintaince and taking fuel costs etc into account. That is more important then the "off the shelf" price when it comes to aircrafts really, people want to know just how much will it cost to maintain since it will effect any future budgets for the armed forces.

You danes are in on this deal I think, but you havn't choosen yet as far as I know, still looking at Gripen to I think(just to take one example). Hopefully the costs might make some countries reconsider and get the Gripen instead(like Denmark, Netherlands, etc). ;P

Edit: lifetime cost
    Pentagon and Lockheed officials know they need to sell hundreds of F-35s to a dozen nations to reduce the cost of each U.S. plane. But Canada announced in December that it is considering alternatives to its planned buy of 65 F-35s after an independent analysis pegged their lifetime cost at nearly $46 billion, roughly double an earlier estimate (the estimated U.S. lifetime cost: $1.5 trillion). Australia recently suggested it wants 24 more St. Louis--built Boeing F-18s, almost guaranteeing a reduction in its planned purchase of up to 100 F-35s.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-19 at 12:49 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    As someone who doesn't want to pay for Military or Healthcare/infrastructure, I'd much rather be paying for Healthcare than military.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    They usually take maintainance cost into account, not sure if they've done that in the article though. But when you offer a country a deal you usually take lifetime cycle costs into account, ie a 10-year deal offering maintaince and taking fuel costs etc into account. That is more important then the "off the shelf" price when it comes to aircrafts really, people want to know just how much will it cost to maintain since it will effect any future budgets for the armed forces.

You danes are in on this deal I think, but you havn't choosen yet as far as I know, still looking at Gripen to I think(just to take one example). Hopefully the costs might make some countries reconsider and get the Gripen instead(like Denmark, Netherlands etc). ;P
    Ah okay, good to know
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    F35 is a complete fiasco. The per unit cost will keep climbing because they aren't even close to finishing the avionics. They tried a design/build production schedule leading to constant changes in production and then retrofitting already made planes.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

...So with that many jets being purchased, who's the target?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Ah okay, good to know
    Lifetime cost wasn't included in the 400 billion, (the estimated U.S. lifetime cost: $1.5 trillion). Crazy.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

NATO is trying to force us to buy new air planes this year. I hope we get the second hand Euro fighters from Italy instead of the Swedish Gripen planes.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...--but-no-tanks

Also this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    ...So with that many jets being purchased, who's the target?
    It's a normal fleet modernization. There doesn't have to be a target.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Being from a relatively small country (Netherlands) i generally fail to even get a grasp on numbers like these.

Our entire national debt is just over 400 billion. You guys spend that in one go. o.O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaka30 View Post
    There was a Crysis because the developers saw a gap in the market for yet another high tech fps.
    #Winning

In the fact that this move will create a lot of jobs I agree with, however its for the wrong reason In my opinion. As everyone else seems to have stated already, Healthcare and general infrastructure of a Country > its military power.

Spending = good, its not like the money is going away, its in the hands of people who made planes who spend it on more shit. Get a clue mmo-champs.