Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How bad is rep grinding these days?

Hey guys.

So as the title says, how is rep grinding now? I know a few months ago people were complaining about it, saying how horrible it is. Is it really that bad? I just resubbed and just learned that in order to get the valor epics one must do some rep grinding for quite a few factions to get the gear. Is there a way to get a tabard and just run dungeons? Or is it only via dailies/quests?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and no.

If you have revered with any of the factions, for a small gold fee (like 40g), you can buy an account-wide rep token that will increase all rep gains by 100% for all characters on all servers for that faction only. This includes regular quests that give that rep, so alts can reach honored and even revered just from leveling. This also works on the toon you bought it on for getting to exalted, so at this point it's not that difficult to do.

Valor items are indeed locked behind reps ranging from honored to exalted depending on the items. In 5.2, however, their cost is dropping by 50%, making it easier to pick up valor items. As well, in 5.2, you will be able to champion a rep with your first dungeon on the day, giving you 750 rep (I think) with that faction + your dailies, should you choose to do them.

Yes. its only via dailies/quests, but you get most of them to the required rep by just leveling

Deleted
    For the most part, only via dailies. A few factions has some sort of items you can either trade in or open chests in order to get extra rep.
    When you reach revered with the MoP factions you can buy a 100% rep boost for a specific faction. Revered with Golden Lotus will open a 100% rep boost for all your characters on your account. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Asseymcgee View Post
    Hey guys.

So as the title says, how is rep grinding now? I know a few months ago people were complaining about it, saying how horrible it is. Is it really that bad? I just resubbed and just learned that in order to get the valor epics one must do some rep grinding for quite a few factions to get the gear. Is there a way to get a tabard and just run dungeons? Or is it only via dailies/quests?
    The thing is, if you cap your maximum valor points it still takes more than a week for one item, so you have a lot of time to focus on just one faction at a time. People at the start got overwhelmed because they took it upon themselves to do everything at once, when Blizzards intention was to give you options.
    In the darkness all cats are gray...
    www.onyxsoft.se - Amigans never surrender, they know they can do it better =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I see. Sounds quite tedious, but atleast they make it easier after revered and much easier for your alts afterwards. Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
    The thing is, if you cap your maximum valor points it still takes more than a week for one item, so you have a lot of time to focus on just one faction at a time. People at the start got overwhelmed because they took it upon themselves to do everything at once, when Blizzards intention was to give you options.
    Exactly, and there are 2 factions gave you an epic when you reach exalted with them. Plus, if you were running heroics at the same time, you don't know what you'll end up getting in a run and what would need to be replaced when you do have the points.

Hey guys.

Yes, its really that bad. And yes, only via dailies.

Blizzard is trying some lame "solutions" in 5.2 (one reward of 750 rep for ONE faction a day through dungeons, work order from Sunsong Ranch, and a couple of drops for the old reputations) which wont solve the real problem, but should give you an indication that even Blizzard realize it was a mistake.

Also, they even admitted that Golden Lotus re is badly designed.

Hey guys.

Depends on a couple things. If you have the revered token it's extremely easy imo (especially if you grab the Darkmoon buff when it's up as a little goes a long way). If you aren't then they aren't so bad. The only ones that I believe are a pain are the Golden Lotus ones. In 5.2 you'll be able to get rep a couple more ways:

1) 1k rep with a faction a day (700 from daily dungeon and 300 from daily scenario) with any faction of your choosing helping speed things up. I haven't seen anything that says otherwise so I am guessing you can stack that on top of dailies.
    2) If you are exalted with Tillers you can get work orders (I think after claiming your farm) where you can do various stuff for factions and get rep that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackeagle View Post
    If that was their intent then they should have told us beforehand what raid drops we were going to get. (yeah... no)
    I had to open up all the VP rewards asap because I had no idea which slot I would need to fill with VP 2-3-4-5 weeks later when I could afford to buy items.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    2) If you are exalted with Tillers you can get work orders (I think after claiming your farm) where you can do various stuff for factions and get rep that way as well.
    I think that Blizz has called this system (finishing one rep grind to help another rep grind) "yo dawgs".

10+ Year Old Account
    Rep grinding is a joke nowadays. True, there's no tabard. But the rep pours in now so fast. Especially when you look at the big picture.
    The big picture = multiple toons. We used to grind rep with every toon equally fast/slow. Now, you do that just once... The speed per rep is rather fast. It takes a few weeks, granted. But that was always the case, unless someone was crazy enough to run dungeons on end. Most reps don't have anything special that's needed after revered. Exalted rep gives vanity rewards like mounts etc. Gear is unlocked in 2 waves, Honored and Revered. So are crafting recipes.
    The difference to the past, I best showcase in a most current example. I just leveled an old toon, on an old realm, and even of the other faction....
    While leveling from 85 - 90 I always switched zones to the next corresponding zone the moment I dinged... My Reputation status was as follows:
    Golden Lotus - Near Honored
    Shado-Pan - Honored and 2000 towards revered
    Klaxxi - Revered and 6000 towards Exalted
    Tillers - Honored (only done the initial quest stuff, since it goes very fast)
    Anglers - Friendly (they are needed to finish the Klaxxi line for the final 489 necklace.
    August Celestials - no rep yet.
    Jade Serpents - haven't started them yet, but I know from other alts, that you can get from zero to exalted within a weeks period
    Shield Wall/Domination Point - from zero - revered within a few days.

All in all..... Any alt can be well under way of having all important items unlocked within 1 - 2 weeks after hitting 90. This process would be even faster, if one would progress their way through zone after zone by questing it out entirely. With most alts there's no rush to get them leveled in high speed. Questing all quests in every zone yields a great amount of gold, and the rep falls pretty much in ones lap on the side, for the most part.

I am a rep collector. And never in the whole time of playing the game was rep any faster and easier to gain, than it is now in MoP.

Rep grind was ridiculous. I quit at the beginning of 5.1. I did dailies constantly to get gear to run heroics/LFR. Once I got to LFR, I wanted to get another character in LFR, but the grind put me off doing so. I logged on the other night and was in queue for a LFR and Heroic for over 30min each. Yes, I was queued as DPS, but after seeing that all interest in coming back was gone. I hope they changes things next expansion, this one was terrible for myself.

Not too bad at all. And once you get the account-wide token that boosts everybody's rep gained by 100%, it's a damn breeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are so many ways to gear that in 5.2 it really won't be worth grinding rep. Maybe 1-2 factions so you have some outlet for your valor and dominance/shieldwall have the highest ilvl before you can get into. 5.2 LFR. The new daily faction has some 476 gear for gold so there's another avenue.

That said if you want to avoid grinding completely then T14 raids, pvp and world bosses should let you gear quickly.

It's pretty terrible that first time. A real nightmare. Make sure you are aware of where the profession recipes you might want or need and do the grind on that character first. Because wow, getting to exalted on stupid golden lotus and august celestial a second time and wasting all that time on those poorly designed dailies sucked even worse then the first time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StangMan04 View Post
    Rep grind was ridiculous. I quit at the beginning of 5.1. I did dailies constantly to get gear to run heroics/LFR. Once I got to LFR, I wanted to get another character in LFR, but the grind put me off doing so. I logged on the other night and was in queue for a LFR and Heroic for over 30min each. Yes, I was queued as DPS, but after seeing that all interest in coming back was gone. I hope they changes things next expansion, this one was terrible for myself.
    And what do you suggest to lower the queue times, which have always been that high for DPS?
    You have always the option to look for a pug 5 mans and raids.. But I guess that takes longer than a LF queue.
    Plus, what have queue times to do with Reputation?

15+ Year Old Account
    Golden Lotus is the worst bottleneck rep they've ever introduced. Even with the 100% boost it takes a long time since the initial quests were still only 120 rep per turn in. Doing them a second time it still seems painfully slow.

The Shadow Pan dailies take you to the middle of absolute nowhere, the furthest reaches from the center of the continent as humanly possible. August Celestials run you to any number of zones throughout Pandaria.

The Serpent Rider rep is insanely easy. The 2nd time they might as well just give it to you for showing up. Take my advice on this one. It's a lot like Netherwing rep where you pick one color free mount and there are only 3 possible colors to choose from. If you're going to do a 2nd or 3rd alt, save your 2100g from buying the extra two and just have the next character doing the rep get the next color free. I wish I had thought of this before instead of a few hours after I dropped the money. Not that the money will be missed too much but damn, I hate gold sink purchases.

It's probably worth noting that in 5.2 you can craft 458 gear for the sake of pushing LFR early(to gear). for actual reps, you get 1100 or so rep a day before any dailies. You can choose to champion a faction for one dugeon(700-something) and one scenario (380-something). In addition, once you hit tillers exalted you can do commission work for the other factions and get more rep from them that way. You could theoretically get them all to exalted without doing a daily for anyone but the tillers. Sunreavers don't apply though, you have to do those dailies. On the up and up, though, you can earn something like 4000 honor a week(which can buy 476 gear) doing those, so you're looking at multiple reward options from said dailies.

I find grinding dailies to be intensely boring. The commendations make it barely tolerable at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    And what do you suggest to lower the queue times, which have always been that high for DPS?
    You have always the option to look for a pug 5 mans and raids.. But I guess that takes longer than a LF queue.
    Plus, what have queue times to do with Reputation?
    Back in Cataclysm, without having these rep grinds for gear to get the ilvl to join LFR is making less people wanting to level alts to keep people in LFR, which makes queues longer. Get rid of this rep grind to let others want to play alts. I had 10 max level toons back in WOTLK and Cata. I did LFR on atleast 6 of them in Cata and ran ICC on about the same amount in WOTLK. This rep grind has caused me to lose interest in playing since I can't change it up and raid on multiple toons. But, I guess rep grinds are the new norm now. So those are just my thoughts. I only log on now between the 90 days so I don't lose being guild master of my guild. Which is a waste of $14.99/month. Probably sell it and cancel my sub.