Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    @Cerunnir

I bought a 6870 nearly 2 years ago for around £120. The cheapest I could have paid for a 7870XT was £172. Thats a total of £292.

If I had splashed out on a GTX 580 when they had first come out, £400-£500 easily. The GTX 580 on average is around 5-10% weaker than the 7870XT and hass less vRAM.

Building a high powered system is NEVER cost effective. If price wasn't an issue, the OP wouldn't be on this forum asking for advice on the best 600s. He'd simply have bought the best one already.

Edit

Also I think the 680 would struggle to fit into an HP chassis. You should check the dimensions and more importantly the PSU as someone has mentioned earlier.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-02-19 at 07:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    @Cerunnir

I bought a 6870 nearly 2 years ago for around £120. The cheapest I could have paid for a 7870XT was £172. Thats a total of £292.

If I had splashed out on a GTX 580 when they had first come out, £400-£500 easily. The GTX 580 on average is around 5-10% weaker than the 7870XT and hass less vRAM.

Building a high powered system is NEVER cost effective. If price wasn't an issue, the OP wouldn't be on this forum asking for advice on the best 600s. He'd simply have bought the best one already.

Edit

Also I think the 680 would struggle to fit into an HP chassis. You should check the dimensions and more importantly the PSU as someone has mentioned earlier.
    The point was that the 7970ghz is more cost effective than the 680. Theres still relevant cost effectiveness between different cards on the high or low end.

So unless you have enough of a budget to not sacrifice other parts of the PC to accommodate for the 680, then you're better off with a 670 or 7970.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    The point was that the 7970ghz is more cost effective than the 680. Theres still relevant cost effectiveness between different cards on the high or low end.

So unless you have enough of a budget to not sacrifice other parts of the PC to accommodate for the 680, then you're better off with a 670 or 7970.
    I know about the cost effective ratio's between current cards, I've made a number of posts on these points already, infact arguing the same points you've raised.

The issue was about cost effectiveness for WoW, which the OP religiously plays, which was turned into a debate about paying high now equating to stuff lasting longer.

The issue about why the 7970 Ghz edition being better value for money than the GTX680 is an interesting one and actually more complex than one might believe. I can almost guarantee that the 7970Ghz editions will most likely go up in price slowly over the next coming months once people catch on that it's faster than a GTX 680. Nvidia have no interest in slashing their 680s anytime soon. But this debate is going tangential.

For WOW, flawless performance for you means a GTX660 (non-TI) or a 7850. In this particular case I would recommend the GTX660 as it is better in WOW and is only slightly more expensive. If you are not a high end gamer, do not ever buy top of the line cards like 7970 or GTX680, it's money down the drain and they will do absolutely nothing for you in WOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    You need two of these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130781 ASAP!

User was infracted for trolling.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-02-20 at 01:27 PM.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    680 is major overkill for most single monitor setups, especially WoW. A 670 or even a 660 would be just fine for WoW.
    670 and 680 are essentially the same GPU. 660 would be more optimal for WoW.

Considering a 560 can max WoW. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    670 and 680 are essentially the same GPU. 660 would be more optimal for WoW.

Considering a 560 can max WoW. =/
    Agree. I would recommend the non-TI GTX660 as that is more than enough for WOW.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Agree. I would recommend the non-TI GTX660 as that is more than enough for WOW.
    Hell even the 650 Ti should do well, especially if you want to lower your power requirements and sound. hehe

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/680
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water