New to PvP - Class for BGs

Hi All. New to PvP. Been running BGs and having a good time. Currently 90 BM Hunter, decent gear. I'm also an alt-aholic so I always have that erg to level and work on different characters but for the first time I would consider the hunter my "main".

Since I'm new to the PvP thing, I don't really consider this an FoTM question, just looking for some opinions from the experienced players.

What do you feel is a good follow up to the BM Hunter? I find that I get locked down quite a bit. I do some of that myself but seems like sometimes I get shut down so hard that by the time I can move it's too late. Like to try being the locker as opposed to the lockee for a change. All advice welcome.

Thanks

Locked down by casters or melee? Hunters have many ways to avoid being locked down tbh.

But to answer your question, I would go with druid or mage if you wanna be tough to lock down. MW monks are slippery too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dpcn111 View Post
    What do you feel is a good follow up to the BM Hunter?
    Any class you are capable to play well.
    You can play the most OP class, but if you suck, you can't put it to use. You can make the best out of an underpowered class, if you know how to master it well.
    Plus the personal likes and dislikes play into it too...
    You have to find out for yourself, really...

Spriests have a lot of utility but can be frustrating until you get gear and learn how to kite melee. Warrior and Mage are the mouthbreather options.

Thanks for the posts so far...

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Any class you are capable to play well.
    You can play the most OP class, but if you suck, you can't put it to use. You can make the best out of an underpowered class, if you know how to master it well.
    Plus the personal likes and dislikes play into it too...
    You have to find out for yourself, really...
    This for the most part. I don't know what it is, but I've always had a knack for Death Knights. No matter how bored I get of the class I always end up going back to my DK. DKs when played well can lock down any caster, but if you want a general purpose class for locking people down then the first class that comes to my mind is a Rogue.

Just remember that every class has it's counter, and any skilled player will know his escape abilities.

Sounds like WW monk would be pretty suitable for what you're asking for. They have an extra trinket, a root break, 2 rolls, a 50 yard 'jump', 1 stun, 2 disarms, a silence/interupt and a couple of really unique peels.

If I were you i'd jump on PTR and play around with a couple of classes and see what suits you best.

(Rogue and DK are also amazingly good for locking down people, and are both looking really good on PTR atm).

Ya, DK is my "go-to" melee class but I've been thinking rogue as well. So many choices. I know its a matter of getting good at one. I'm not bad as hunter but the alt fiend in me is always nagging. Might make it hard to get good. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dpcn111 View Post
    Ya, DK is my "go-to" melee class but I've been thinking rogue as well. So many choices. I know its a matter of getting good at one. I'm not bad as hunter but the alt fiend in me is always nagging. Might make it hard to get good. lol.
    I used to have this exact problem, only thing that got me out of those ways was getting good at one and just playing the living hell out of it getting better and better, i mean i still have alts, but have only one main, well two because it's two of the same class to play different comps

Try to find a class that won't conflict with your hunter. Otherwise you will be screwing your muscle memory a lot and end up failing on both.

If you're getting locked down, you might also just need to save Bestial Wrath for a CC break more, and use Silencing Shot on druids, mages and warlocks that like to cast CCs on you. BM Hunters are pretty hard to lock down with an extra trinket every minute.

Monk is a pretty solid choice, simply because many opponents won't understand it that well yet compared to classes that have been out since release.

Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Try to find a class that won't conflict with your hunter. Otherwise you will be screwing your muscle memory a lot and end up failing on both.
    Or, at least do keybinds that are equivalent. For instance, I play a rogue and a WW monk:

Stun: Shift+R
    (rogue = kidney shot, monk = fists of fury)

Main attack: Spacebar
    (rogue = backstab, monk = jab)

Do Lotsa damage: Control E
    (Rogue shadowdance, monk = Tiger Eye Brew)

Quick move: e
    (rogue = shadowstep, monk = roll)

etc etc. They don't map perfectly between any classes, but at least when I hit an ability incorrectly due to muscle memory, the chance is pretty good that I'll get a similar outcome to what I expected.