Lost CD for the battle for middle earth 2 (Have original key!)

Hello fellow mmo-ers,

So I lost my cd for the battle for middle earth 2, I do however still have the original CD key. Is it against the rules to use a "no cd key" while I am still in posession of the original key? And will it affect my ability to play online?

Thanks in advance,
    Orash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

15+ Year Old Account
    Or just torrent it and use the actual cd key instead of cracking it maybe?

As above said, it is legal to download a torrent as long as you own an original copy (or a key, in this case). And no, it won't affect your ability to play online.

10+ Year Old Account
    Using a no-cd crack will most likely affect your ability to play online. Torrenting the game, then installing it with a legitimate key, would not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbodymoman View Post
    As above said, it is legal to download a torrent as long as you own an original copy (or a key, in this case).
    It's not actually legal, the redistribution of files when anyone connects to you as a peer is what is really frowned upon. Also from a legal aspect I don't think its allowed under Fair Use.

That said I have done it in the past and will almost certainly do it again in the future purely because there's often no other way to use the software I've paid for.

Deleted
    it's a bit of a gray area depending on the law of the country here it's allowed to make a backup of said game and seeying as the law hasn't been updated for modern day standards that also applies to downloads aslong as you own the originall copy which is either unusable or lost (tho lost is a bit harder to prove you own the game unless your like me and keep receipts of your boxed game purchases))

Deleted
    Dident they close down the servers for this game last year so you cant actuly play the game online anymore?

Oh did they really? I didnt know that, well me and a buddy are planning to play on LAN but the game needs a disk to startup, that was the main reason I needed a no cd key.

Edit: Damn you are right they closed the servers... man that sucks... Well I still need the CD to play even single player, so can I instal a no cd key without altering some sort of game file which prevents me from playing against my friend who still has the cd. I mean like some kind of mismatch?

Edit 2: I want to emphasize I DO have the original key and I did NOT pirate the game!
    Last edited by Orash; 2013-02-20 at 08:14 PM.
    A warrior is kinda like a blender.* You can shatter it from a long way off with a gun, or you could even pull the plug so it can't move, but if you stick your face into it when it's moving you're going to lose.
    no offence to anyone, but asking advice about girls on a WoW forum is not a good idea

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orash View Post
    Oh did they really? I didnt know that, well me and a buddy are planning to play on LAN but the game needs a disk to startup, that was the main reason I needed a no cd key.

Edit: Damn you are right they closed the servers... man that sucks... Well I still need the CD to play even single player, so can I instal a no cd key without altering some sort of game file which prevents me from playing against my friend who still has the cd. I mean like some kind of mismatch?

Edit 2: I want to emphasize I DO have the original key and I did NOT pirate the game!
    If it came to it you could both use cracks (if its his legit version denying your version) and use a vpn like Hamachi to play a LAN game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    If it came to it you could both use cracks (if its his legit version denying your version) and use a vpn like Hamachi to play a LAN game.
    Ever had one of those moments, when you read an answer on one of your questions, you get the felling of being really dumb for not comming to that answer yourself while deep down inside you knew it all along?

yeah I am having that moment now T_T!

Thanks for the solution tho!