Page 1 of 3
LastLast

UH Festerblight in 5.2?

Will Festerblight be stronger than the traditional UH playstyle with the strong STR procs from 5.2 trinkets?

I'm mostly referring to applying diseases during the last 2 seconds of Ji-Kun's feather proc (+15000 STR), which should also line up with the Spark of Zendalar proc (+8000 STR). Assuming STR pot + Fallen Crusader + Synapse Springs + those 2 trinket procs, we're looking extending diseases with over 60k STR for the whole fight. Thoughts?
    Last edited by NeverStop; 2013-02-19 at 04:40 PM.

It already is stronger than 'traditional Unholy' on encounters where diseases can be maintained, and 5.2 will only make it stronger. Obviously, though, just like this tier, it'll be dependent on the encounter.
    Last edited by Vereesa; 2013-02-19 at 05:09 PM.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Long time Prot war, switching to DK for 5.2 and learning as much as I can about all DK specs in short order.

This is the first time I've seen the term Festerblight. From the subtext I'm guessing it means to maintain diseases through FeS and not using Outbreak outside of that initial application?

Quote Originally Posted by Hip View Post
    Long time Prot war, switching to DK for 5.2 and learning as much as I can about all DK specs in short order.

This is the first time I've seen the term Festerblight. From the subtext I'm guessing it means to maintain diseases through FeS and not using Outbreak outside of that initial application?
    Mendenbarr's thread on EJ does a pretty good job of explaining what it's about.
    WCL

Deleted
    do high damage diseases keep their damage when pestilenced onto adds?

Just a heads up, since trinkets have switched from a high proc chance and long ICD model to a PPM system with low ICD model, its not very likely your trinkets will stack well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Just a heads up, since trinkets have switched from a high proc chance and long ICD model to a PPM system with low ICD model, its not very likely your trinkets will stack well.
    Yea, this is a concern with festerblight in 5.2
    However, it's somewhat alleviated by the sheer power of the procs in 5.2, for example the feather trinket alone gives 15050 strength during the final tick, which lasts 2 seconds, compared to the 3027 strength from relic, and the 3653 from lei shen's final orders heroic. Even combining those two, you still end up with "only" 6680 strength, which is very very weak compared to the 15050 from the feather.
    As for other procs, rune of the fallen crusader has a 85% uptime, so sometimes you will get unlucky with feather procs and runes, but most of the time you'll be ok.
    Pots, synapse springs, and blood fury can all be used on-demand and timed with the feather trinket.
    The play-style will likely change to wait for a feather proc, and time as much other stuff as possible up during the same time, but my preliminary napkin maths are showing as much as a 5-10k boost over traditional unholy with only one trinket. On the rare occasion you get it to proc at the same time as spark? Hubba hubba.

No rerecros, they sadly do not, pest takes current AP for new diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendenbarr View Post
    No rerecros, they sadly do not, pest takes current AP for new diseases.
    But the upside is if you have full trinkets up and Pestilence, the whole aoe pack will have that level of diseases, likely quite potent.

Deleted
    I just logged on and tried Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen (cant post links yet sorry) the Int trinket which gives you 4 sec of 100% crit chance.

Works wonder with Festerblight "rotation" your diseases will always keep critting as long as you dont refresh them, new bis?
    I would be very surprised if they didnt fix that though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimpsson View Post
    I just logged on and tried Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen (cant post links yet sorry) the Int trinket which gives you 4 sec of 100% crit chance.

Works wonder with Festerblight "rotation" your diseases will always keep critting as long as you dont refresh them, new bis?
    I would be very surprised if they didnt fix that though

That is rather insane now I think about it.

I tried festerblight on a dummy, I could only sustain it for a few minutes, I would assume it would be longer if I was using different talents, though the best thing I viewed about festerblight, is that while it is a DPS increase, you sacrifice very little for using it as a valid playstyle, as you can switch back to "traditional" unholy at the tip of a hat.

Next patch would be better, with diseases being able to be applied through PS we can save outbreak and forgo the use of UB so we can still spec RB for peroids where we need to AoE, or PL if we know there's a point down the line where we will definitely be forced off boss and have diseases drop, so we can still continue the optimal "traditional" Unholy rotations.

I don't like Unholy Blight itself, don't think I ever will, but it's an interesting playstyle at the very least, and very hard to mess up once you've got your DoTs on the target as it just revolves around FeS spam while dumping U runes with SS/SR.

+points for being an Eng with Festerblight as well, I'm going to assuming being an eng is the best profession for Unholy if it's a true DPS increase on single target, probably tailoring too.
    Last edited by Saybel; 2013-02-20 at 02:22 AM. Reason: typos hurr
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxyqt View Post
    That is rather insane now I think about it.

I tried festerblight on a dummy, I could only sustain it for a few minutes, I would assume it would be longer if I was using different talents, though the best thing I viewed about festerblight, is that while it is a DPS increase, you sacrifice very little for using it as a valid playstyle, as you can switch back to "traditional" unholy at the tip of a hat.

Next patch would be better, with diseases being able to be applied through PS we can save outbreak and forgo the use of UB so we can still spec RB for peroids where we need to AoE, or PL if we know there's a point down the line where we will definitely be forced off boss and have diseases drop, so we can still continue the optimal "traditional" Unholy rotations.

I don't like Unholy Blight itself, don't think I ever will, but it's an interesting playstyle at the very least, and very hard to mess up once you've got your DoTs on the target as it just revolves around FeS spam while dumping U runes with SS/SR.

+points for being an Eng with Festerblight as well, I'm going to assuming being an eng is the best profession for Unholy if it's a true DPS increase on single target, probably tailoring too.
    Im an engineer myself and did use a pot plus the tinker and tried to time it with other strength procs like fallen crusader and/or strength trinket proc.
    Im not a theorycrafter and mostly did this as a fun test, but it did seem that my dps was higher with rolling crit diseases.

You "only" had to sacrifice 1 trinket for it as well.

However the proc of the trinket was extremly unreliable. It could proc anywhere from 10 sec to almost 3 min into my small tests , (it was rather unreliable on my spriest as well). So it was hard to time it with trinket procs/fallen crusader.

Once again im not a theorycrafter of any kind and only did this as a fun experiment so dont take this as any evidence of some sort.
    Still it was fun to try out and im actually gonna try it when I test the bosses on PTR tomorrow as well

Also as mentioned before I have a hard time believing if this trinket were to be a dps increase over the other strength related trinkets it will/should be nerfed as its obvisouly not intended.

Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen is about 6k dps ahead of lei shen's final orders for festerblight, based of my sims. Not sure about 5.2 trinkets yet, as they are not in simcraft, and I don't know the disease forumla.

10+ Year Old Account
    I say yes, even more so to the fact you will have a lot more haste in 5.2. You should not miss those runes, I already started doing it in 5.1 without issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's looking pretty promising.

Very fight dependant, as has been mentioned several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendenbarr View Post
    Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen is about 6k dps ahead of lei shen's final orders for festerblight, based of my sims. Not sure about 5.2 trinkets yet, as they are not in simcraft, and I don't know the disease forumla.
    I'm curious as to what we could do with the caster trinket that gives 100% crit chance for a while.

Edit: Oh, I should have checked the name of the trinkets first. The one you are talking about IS the caster trinket giving 100% crit chance for a few seconds.
    Last edited by Maelstrom51; 2013-02-20 at 07:00 AM.

Despite the awesomeness of perma-crit diseases, and the fact that, even being an int trinket, it's a significant upgrade over every 5.0/5.1 trinket, the problem with Unerring Vision of Lei-Shen is that it's got a very small window, 4 seconds, making it nigh impossible to overlap with a second trinket. The fact it has int is also a significant loss for AoE and target swaps, and when you let diseases fall off. My first thoughts are that feather/spark will be BiS, spark for the overall stat values, and feather for the fact that you can time diseases to go off at the end of the buff, with a wooping 15k str, which appears to outweigh a 100% crit chance. I'll start testing when we get to actually see the new trinkets, and they get added into simcraft.

Welp, it's official:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    • Blood Plague and Frost Fever damage +30%.

Looks like Festerblight will rock the world.
    Last edited by Vereesa; 2013-02-20 at 10:54 AM.
    WCL

With 100% crit trinket will mastery be better than crit for unholy???

Quote Originally Posted by Ikrekot View Post
    With 100% crit trinket will mastery be better than crit for unholy???
    The 100% crit proc's 4 second duration might be a problem. It'll be very hard to line that up with the last 2 seconds of Ji-Kun's Feather for 15000 STR bonus.

Deleted
    I dont think it will be viable to actually use the Int+100% crit chance trinket though.
    Sure if the stars align and you manage to get the proc at the right time it will probably be extremly good dps.

However the proc from the crit trinket is extremly unreliable from what ive seen so far on PTR, not only on my DK but on my shadowpriest as well.