Page 1 of 13
1
2
3
11
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Is the World of Warcraft community bad? And should we feel bad?

    I just got finished reading this article entitled, The Warcraft Community is Bad and We Should Feel Bad and it made me think about the times that I'd done something similar: that is, kicking someone out of group because they were poorly geared or slow to respond or telling PUG raid leaders not to accept certain people because they were "bad" or "poorly geared trash."

    In retrospect, should I feel bad for doing that? Is it our responsibility as gamers to help out our fellow gamer just looking to escape the doldrums of real life? After all, we were all noobs once.

  2. #2
    Online communities are awful in general. I help when I can, but it usually just ends with them getting offended because how fucking dare I give out advice? Dunning-kruger effect... fuck it.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Online communities are awful in general. I help when I can, but it usually just ends with them getting offended because how fucking dare I give out advice? Dunning-kruger effect... fuck it.
    Can we do anything to remedy that though? Or is it just as in real life? "Some people are nice, and some are jerks. Just do your best to avoid the a-holes?"

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fancyfeast View Post
    Can we do anything to remedy that though? Or is it just as in real life? "Some people are nice, and some are jerks. Just do your best to avoid the a-holes?"
    All I can think to do is to not stoop to their level and hopefully end up setting an example.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-19 at 05:08 PM.

  5. #5
    "Somewhere along the line, these basic ideals of the game that made it the most popular online game ever shifted significantly. The thirst for adventure has been replaced with a demand for efficiency."

    This quote rings out truest. And while the community is certainly to blame for this mentality, Blizzard only added kindling to this fire by catering to it in every possible way.

    And while I agree that these things Blizzard has been doing in the name of efficiency, I don't think there's anything they can do to remove it/go back to the old way of playing simply because they've already gotten players used to one playstyle and going to another is going to tick a lot of players off. I know 5.2 with true "tiering" of raid tiers is going to show this to be true.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-02-19 at 05:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-860 @2.8GHz | Radeon HD 7770 | 8GB DDR3-1333MHz | Corsair CX 430W |

  6. #6
    Elemental Lord Hyve's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    8,501
    Anonymous online communities are almost always a cesspit. Despite the massive failings of the World of Warcraft Community, it does have some great individuals and is actually pretty nice.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome Requiemcliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Somewhere.
    Posts
    530
    Typically, the community is pretty bad, but at the same time, as a whole it's bad, the individuals aren't.

    Met plenty of people in game that I have enjoyed playing with, met nice players all the time, but the ones that just piss you off always stand out to you in a strong way. I mean, I can't count how many times I've found somebody that just infuriated me. But at the same time, I know I'd remember them more because they did invoke more emotion than a nice moment from somebody else.

    I mean, I personally believe the amount of players and the lack of accountability for players actions (which is true in almost every online game) contributes to the bad attitude of some players, but when you are forced to work together and a person just doesn't give a damn (or gives too much of a damn) they will have much worse attitudes. Random Battlegrounds are my personal low point community wise in WoW.

    Usually I have the mindset Roggles have, I am typically polite, nice and don't rage at people, I occasionally only call out others when they are assholes.

  8. #8
    Quick answer to OP....

    Yes...and umm....Yes

  9. #9
    The Wow community is horrible, and no you shouldn't feel bad about that because its expected.

    *~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

  10. #10
    Pandaren Monk Otiswhitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    "Somewhere along the line, these basic ideals of the game that made it the most popular online game ever shifted significantly. The thirst for adventure has been replaced with a demand for efficiency."

    This quote rings out truest. And while the community is certainly to blame for this mentality, Blizzard only added kindling to this fire by catering to it in every possible way.
    This is the truest part.

    Also, Blizzard pretty much encourages horrible behavior every chance they get, through game mechanics. It's more efficient and profitable to screw people in your faction over, rather than playing with them, outside of raids/PVP, for example. Not to mention how people in Blizzard itself seem to conduct themselves in the public's eye, like that one guy who insulted the Diablo 2 dude :x

    What this game needs is something like the Tribunal in League of Legends. Which actually has a community WORSE than WoW's, but at least people get punished for it :x WoW? Someone with toxic attitudes get to succeed, and succeed more!

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans SL1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois.
    Posts
    2,844
    Is the wow community bad? For the most part yes. Should we feel bad? No, it's blizzard's fault that the community is the way it is.

  12. #12
    The infamous warrior in the thread the article was apparently sparked by (jesus, it's like 3 clicks away, I traveled far) came off to me as rather dull. Poor guy, but I haven't patience to deal with dull people in any walks of life, leisure especially.
    My guild tries to set up alt runs as much as it can anyways, though recruitment gets a bit rough for those since MoP is so anti-alt that very few of our people who could help carry the raid have any raid-viable characters. I'm willing to deal with people who don't know WoW, but I don't deal with overall dull.


    That said, the demand for efficiency is absolutely ruthless in this game. People demand absolutely ridiculous things. There was a huge thread over yonder crying that Trolls will do 5% more dps on a few bosses in Thunder Crown Citadel (or w/e), demanding nerfs for fairness so everything fits into a neat little pile. And then no doubt the same people turn around and wonder where the magic went.
    You can't make magic from a machine. If the world is going to feel raw, like a world, there can't be brightly colored circles around everything telling you where to stand.

  13. #13
    Dreadlord Noah37's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Athens, Georgia
    Posts
    757
    Most people that are terribly geared, not playing their class right because they didn't have 5 minutes to go online and look it up, or just overall not really carrying their weight, also don't want your advice. I have tried to help in the past, and if someone is really struggling with something and being unfairly attacked by some egomaniac then I will step in and try to help. However, if someone is doing everything wrong and acting like an idiot, then wants to be a douche about it, they deserve to be kicked from the game and have their account suspended.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast USA
    Posts
    3,400
    The wow comunity is bad to a vast degree. The anonymity created by the fake identity of your screen name leads players to do and say things that they would honestly not like the reprocussions of if they were to do them in a real life situation.


    Lawful good does not always mean Lawful nice

  15. #15
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,416
    No, I don't feel terrible. I'm generally helpful, polite and in six or seven years now in the game, I don't think I've ever insulted anyone deliberately. People who dismiss this sort of thing as 'expected' or whatever should raise their expectations a bit. Anyone trying to justify being rude and abusive is more likely an offender than not. It's simply not OK because 'everyone else does it'.

    People wrongly like to blame Blizzard because someone else acts badly. In the end each one of us is responsible for our own behavior.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  16. #16
    Immortal Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    A Hunter never gives away their location
    Posts
    7,759
    I have to say, I do miss the comradery that WoW used to have. I started playing in late Vanilla, early BC and I just can't get over how much the community has changed.

    In regards to your question, I do believe the it is bad and I think we should only blame ourselves. After all, we are all responsible for our own actions, even if Blizz sets us up for failure.

  17. #17
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    363
    All the "get a group now!" tools make playing efficiently much easier, but connecting with people in a way more meaningful than "do your job so we can get this over with" has been lost in the transition. There have always been people with that attitude anyway, and always will be, but it sucks that the people you're meeting in dungeons and even the world are likely people you will never see again and whom you can neither friend nor guild with if you enjoy their company.

    The cross-server implementation is only part way done and the community is suffering for it. They need to find a way to span mail, AH, /who, chat, guilds, etc... cross-server and create one large community (per server type) with zones instanced as needed to control population (like they do now, except instead of merging servers to increase population divide the server to spread the population out a bit, with a feature to join a party leader in their instance when grouped). BioWare has commented on doing this exact thing (and technologically they are pretty close already) with TOR.

    They'd probably need to expand the unique character identifier some, because available names would be a problem. Sirnames seem like an obvious solution, but may not be the only one.

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire CoolHwip46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kil'Jaeden
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    Is the wow community bad? For the most part yes. Should we feel bad? No, it's blizzard's fault that the community is the way it is.
    Wait.. you just blamed your actions on a company? Are you not responsible for your own actions/thoughts and what you say to people? That's Blizzard's fault, they made you act this way?

    Listen, what this comes down to is anonymity. People that play video games online have no one to answer to but themselves so they can act out any aggression they have through the game and direct it at others. There used to be this thing in WoW where you could report someone that was harassing you and they'd actually get a ban etc. Hell, even I had racked up a few offenses in my early Vanilla/TBC days. Today though, it feels like a joke to report someone. You know nothing happens to them nowadays.

    All together, I believe it to be a cultural dysfunction stemming from living in an "online life". Everyone is on Facebook. Everyone is on Twitter. Look at how much drama goes unpunished on those sites. No one is accountable for anything there unless you end up making someone commit suicide and then your face ends up on CNN. People have this internet cool/tough guy syndrome that's just way the hell out of line in my opinion. The only thing you can do to curb it is to hang out with or only play with people you're friends with IRL. At least then if your friend Timmy cocks off an attitude thinking he's better than you while playing WoW, you can go put him in his place the next time you see him.
    Last edited by CoolHwip46; 2013-02-19 at 05:30 PM.
    Why are you putting so much emphasis on the H?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Ulchi/simple

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Celticmoon View Post
    I have to say, I do miss the comradery that WoW used to have. I started playing in late Vanilla, early BC and I just can't get over how much the community has changed.

    In regards to your question, I do believe the it is bad and I think we should only blame ourselves. After all, we are all responsible for our own actions, even if Blizz sets us up for failure.
    That's because if you were an asshole on your realm, eventually it would get to a point where no one would group with you anymore. That left you with no other option but to reroll because there were no transfers, names changes, etc. These days you can be as big of a dick as you want to with no consequences anymore, and yes, it's 100% Blizzard's fault with all the LFD/LFR/CRZ crap.

  20. #20
    Dreadlord KunkkaTheAdmiral's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Seventyseven sea's.
    Posts
    994
    Yes it is and yes we should and its not Blizzards fault.
    "Why do we fight? To protect home and family, to preserve balance and bring harmony. For my kind the true question is, what is worth fighting for?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •