Poll: Which carb source?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rice is my favorite with potatoes as second and pasta third, they aren't all that far apart though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier, TF2
    "You were good son, real good; maybe even the best."

I hate potatoes. They're bland, boring and dry.

Pasta for sure. Some Pesto, Bacon, Cream-Cheese & some seasoning and you've got a quick, easy and filling lunch or dinner!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pasta for me, hands down.

15+ Year Old Account
    Potatoes followed by Pasta. I can eat potatoes by themselves and in various forms of preparation.

Baked, Cooked, Fried, etc

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Honestly, your beliefs and diet is not the perfect one, maybe that is a fact you should understand.

I will continue to eat these foods AND vegetables and fish, how about that.

The fact you associate these foods with diabetes and don't eat them out of fear of getting diabetes speaks volumes about you.
    You won't get diabetes from eating a bowl of spaghetti but if you're eating these things on the regular you're not doing your body any good. I think a milkshake from In'N'Out tastes great too and can link some nutritional stats showing off that it has some protein from the milk but that doesn't mean eating them is good for me and there is no reason to do so if you're interested in maintaining ideal health.

But hey if this is a poll about which of the above pointless foods is most delicious, I'll go with the potato.

15+ Year Old Account
    Rice = Grain

But other grains are corn, barley, oats, wheat, millet, etc.

There's also rice bread, and potato bread.

Pasta is just a composite carbohydrate like bread and can be made out of different grains or starches.

As for my own preference, it depends on the meal. I'm equal opportunity starcher. Pasta is good as a stand alone meal with different sauces. I like to have egg wheat pastas in soups. Barley and potatoes go good in stews, and I sometimes love to eat barley as a stand alone. Corn is good as long as it's not in the form of highly processed high fructose corn syrup, but popcorn can make an amazing snack. Bread goes good at the beginning of most meals or on a sandwich or beneath my eggs over medium. Rice goes good along side asian dishes or a rice pilaf beside a meat dish.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    You won't get diabetes from eating a bowl of spaghetti but if you're eating these things on the regular you're not doing your body any good. I think a milkshake from In'N'Out tastes great too and can link some nutritional stats showing off that it has some protein from the milk but that doesn't mean eating them is good for me and there is no reason to do so if you're interested in maintaining ideal health.

But hey if this is a poll about which of the above pointless foods is most delicious, I'll go with the potato.
    Of course it's not the best food, but that doesn't mean you should cut out the food altogether.

Nobody said anything about eating them all the time either.

And I wouldn't say they are pointless foods at all. That is just your belief.

Of course it's not the best food, but that doesn't mean you should cut out the food altogether.

Nobody said anything about eating them all the time either.

And I wouldn't say they are pointless foods at all. That is just your belief.
    Why should you not cut the food out altogether? Do you genuinely believe that a person eating a diet that completely avoids refined carbohydrates and starch is somehow lacking something nutritionally? If so, what exactly is it you believe these things contain that a person needs?

What kind of pasta though?

Why should you not cut the food out altogether? Do you genuinely believe that a person eating a diet that completely avoids refined carbohydrates and starch is somehow lacking something nutritionally? If so, what exactly is it you believe these things contain that a person needs?
    You are missing out on all them delicious carbs. Potatoes can be cooks all kinds of delicious ways. Pasta is hella good depending on which sauce you have with it. Rice can be used so many different ways its not even funny.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

I like all three, but I'd go with Pasta as my number one.

Rice is fine to, I do a fish dish with wok veggies, salamon and a creamy sauce, it's fucking awesome and rice is the best suited for it out of the three. Also Indian and asian food yo.

Potatoes can be nice to, esp like this, yum
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-02-19 at 10:05 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

There likely is a correlation between high empty carb type foods and diabetes, but it's likely because unhealthy lifestyles and poor diet choices go hand in hand. Making a statement like you don't want diabetes so you avoid rice is like saying you don't want to be put in jail so you avoid being a minority, a backwards argument.

Please note, that's not racist. I was merely referring to the prison populations being dominant by minorities.

Deleted
    Calories for cheaper than you can buy meat I would say.

These foods provide a lot of calories for cheap. Meaning a lot of people will want to eat it. Either to save money or because they can't afford more.

Potatoes provide some vitamins too.

Besides, they are tasty and that's the main reason I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    You are missing out on all them delicious carbs. Potatoes can be cooks all kinds of delicious ways. Pasta is hella good depending on which sauce you have with it. Rice can be used so many different ways its not even funny.
    A cinnabon is delicious too, but I'm not about to eat that. I never understood the argument that just because unhealthy foods are tasty that a person couldn't possibly avoid eating them altogether. Plenty of healthy foods are just as delicious, if not moreso because they don't make you feel awful afterwards.

Few years ago I may have said potatoes, but rice all the way now!
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Now instead of being pissed off at four people at a time, I can be pissed off at TWENTY FOUR people at a time. That's called efficiency, my little enchiladas.

A cinnabon is delicious too, but I'm not about to eat that. I never understood the argument that just because unhealthy foods are tasty that a person couldn't possibly avoid eating them altogether. Plenty of healthy foods are just as delicious, if not moreso because they don't make you feel awful afterwards.
    why would you want to completely avoid things that give you enjoyment. Because you will live one month longer in a hospital bed with dysentery when you are old?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Calories for cheaper than you can buy meat I would say.

These foods provide a lot of calories for cheap. Meaning a lot of people will want to eat it.

Potatoes provide some vitamins too.

Besides, they are tasty and that's the main reason I would say.
    I get chicken quarters for $0.69 a pound here, and can get whole chickens (fresh, from a local farm) for about $1 a pound. Local eggs for dirt cheap, and get my grass fed beef for about $3.50 a pound which includes every cut from the tenderloin to the ribeye.

Obviously buying a bulk container of rice is a cheaper route to some calories, but it's really not all that expensive to eat healthy AND tasty if you actually shop.

---------- Post added 2013-02-19 at 10:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    why would you want to completely avoid things that give you enjoyment. Because you will live one month longer in a hospital bed with dysentery when you are old?
    Because I'll continue to be in great physical shape, look good, be able to enjoy all the outdoor activities I do, and likely live decades longer - not one month - and still be walking around, active, living a normal life well into my 100's... assuming I don't get the dreaded CANCER.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Some people enjoy the "fat and happy" lifestyle, others enjoy feeling fit and healthy. Eating that kind of junk food just makes me feel terrible.

Deleted
    I get chicken quarters for $0.69 a pound here, and can get whole chickens (fresh, from a local farm) for about $1 a pound. Local eggs for dirt cheap, and get my grass fed beef for about $3.50 a pound which includes every cut from the tenderloin to the ribeye.

Obviously buying a bulk container of rice is a cheaper route to some calories, but it's really not all that expensive to eat healthy AND tasty if you actually shop.
    Not really, you are right on that, but can you really claim to eat healthy when you buy hormone injected chicken? (Note: chicken is my fav food, but just saying) Sure the farm ones may be okay, but the chicken quarters? Not sure.

Deleted
    Tatties, always tatties.

Pasta as a close second though.

Not really, you are right on that, but can you really claim to eat healthy when you buy hormone injected chicken? (Note: chicken is my fav food, but just saying) Sure the farm ones may be okay, but the chicken quarters? Not sure.
    It's illegal to use hormones on chicken, and wouldn't really do much to increase their growth anyway. (Supposedly, at least) Commercially raised chickens are all hormone free in the US, but the quarters are bought locally too anyway.