Modular Prosthetic Limb

Maybe this is old news to some of you, but I still had not seen it.

and here is a video of them testing the arm, my favorite part is at 5:11

Deleted
    Howard in the Big Bang Theory episode with the robot arm spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I don't watch the show so I've no idea what you're talking about

What impressed me though is the motions this allows the person to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post

from the first video it sounds like they only have a 2 channel input for it now, using muscles that now go no where, it would be interesting to see if they could get a field trial with neural input like that trial we had a thread on a couple weeks ago. of course that required some frankenstein like metal protrusions out of the motor control strip on the subject's head, but i think they could make it more compact.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.

Lets just say he gets something stuck in the hand and needs to go to the hospital to get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Lets just say he gets something stuck in the hand and needs to go to the hospital to get it sorted out.
    hmm.. if it's what I think it it's then I'm sorry for the guy, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    from the first video it sounds like they only have a 2 channel input for it now, using muscles that now go no where, it would be interesting to see if they could get a field trial with neural input like that trial we had a thread on a couple weeks ago. of course that required some frankenstein like metal protrusions out of the motor control strip on the subject's head, but i think they could make it more compact.
    The 2nd video shows a different arm actually, and that one is way more.... hm... mobile?

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 04:32 AM ----------

What I wonder is how it's possible for him to move the arm... I mean, if someone could explain that to me in layman's terms, that'd be amazing, because I just can't get my head around it.

hmm.. if it's what I think it it's then I'm sorry for the guy, lol.

The 2nd video shows a different arm actually, and that one is way more.... hm... mobile?

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 04:32 AM ----------

What I wonder is how it's possible for him to move the arm... I mean, if someone could explain that to me in layman's terms, that'd be amazing, because I just can't get my head around it.
    from what i heard from the video it sounds like he has a small amount of muscle from his lower arm that he can still control and the sensors on the arm detects that movement as the input for its control.

Quote Originally Posted by goobernoob View Post
    from what i heard from the video it sounds like he has a small amount of muscle from his lower arm that he can still control and the sensors on the arm detects that movement as the input for its control.
    Yeah, it's how the sensors work that boggles my mind - It's nice to see this kind of progress though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just think of what they will be able to do when they figure out neural interface instead of just basing it off muscle motions.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Yeah, it's how the sensors work that boggles my mind - It's nice to see this kind of progress though.
    that doesn't sound any more complicated then a track pad on a laptop, in fact i wouldn't be surprised if thats that they used

That first video was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Funny... At the end... I did it again. What it reminds me more of is Star Wars when Luke gets his new hand. OR!!! on Futurama when fry get the robot hands and needs to "break" them in..

OT: its amazing where we are going with these things
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

10+ Year Old Account
    What I'm curious about is;
    Is it possible to get more channels of control out of the first rig? Maybe 4 instead of 2?
    If we combine that with the motor setup from rig 2 for more fine, life-like control, what kind of energy costs would it have? I think that second one is on a power tether, correct?
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    Really amazing. Even though the first video's arm is limited, it's still better than having no arm at all. Really amazing ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    What I'm curious about is;
    Is it possible to get more channels of control out of the first rig? Maybe 4 instead of 2?
    If we combine that with the motor setup from rig 2 for more fine, life-like control, what kind of energy costs would it have? I think that second one is on a power tether, correct?
    I've no idea, would like to know this too, if someone out there knows it, please share it with us.

Deleted
    Now the question is, is our future going to be Terminator style, Deus Ex style or Bicentennial Man style?
    Only time will tell!

But seriously, that is amazing, so we now have arms that are as mobile as human ones and that can feel. Now we only need the interface to be as responsive as the regular human basic one and we'll have robot arms better then regular ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Now the question is, is our future going to be Terminator style, Deus Ex style or Bicentennial Man style?
    Only time will tell!

But seriously, that is amazing, so we now have arms that are as mobile as human ones and that can feel. Now we only need the interface to be as responsive as the regular human basic one and we'll have robot arms better then regular ones.
    As Blizzard would say, Soon !

I wonder if they are also trying this with legs.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...l-8498622.html This is break through right here if it does happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...l-8498622.html This is break through right here if it does happen!
    There's a thread created by Arnorei about it already