Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire Evisiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom/England/Birmingham
    Posts
    416

    Cooking Dead in Mop?

    So now you can get cooking from 1 - 300 using vendor mats and Golden Carp alone in MoP, does this mean ingredients found in Azeroth are just completely useless now? I ask because I always find myself selling meat to vendors, such as Bear Flank from Winterspring, i used to get a nice 300g a stack from that :/

  2. #2
    Well ye but that doesnt mean you cant do gold with mop ingredients.....

  3. #3
    You will probably still earn money from people who haven't gotten MoP and are still leveling alts.

    It's a good change, IMO. Materials should be valuable because they create something useful, not because they let you get over an annoying skill hump. I hope they continue doing this for other trade skills.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    It's a good change, IMO. Materials should be valuable because they create something useful, not because they let you get over an annoying skill hump. I hope they continue doing this for other trade skills.
    I disagree. Older materials will never make anything useful in 9/10 cases, but they should still have use to skill up. Mostly they no longer do- it has rendered a lot of interesting activity and places entirely dead.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I disagree. Older materials will never make anything useful in 9/10 cases, but they should still have use to skill up. Mostly they no longer do- it has rendered a lot of interesting activity and places entirely dead.
    This sounds more like an argument that things that are fun, interesting or useful regardless of level be spread out across all levels of a skill.
    Buff food is just a stat boost, and buff food is made to be forgotten when you move on.
    Now, a bear burger that shapeshifted you into a bear? Fun!
    Or maybe a bear-speaking potion that let you talk to bears, and get a random quest? Fun and/or interesting.

    The potion and shapeshifting item are things worth coming back for, the buff food is not.

  6. #6
    It's not dead, but it took a definite hit. I always, when leveling toons on new servers, made a very nice sum selling my meats and ingredients to people leveling their cooking. The prices for that stuff have dropped, though there is still some demand for it.
    Your soul shall be mine! ||| Forum rules ||| New England Patriots

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I disagree. Older materials will never make anything useful in 9/10 cases, but they should still have use to skill up. Mostly they no longer do- it has rendered a lot of interesting activity and places entirely dead.
    What's the point of that... more fun just to get to the current content faster. I have to applaud Blizzard for getting rid of one of the last "stupid and pointless" grinds in game.

    That and now perhaps cooking and archaeology and stuff are less of a retarded grind and are far easier to level, but when maxed are more "useful" and "fun" than just sitting there rotting. I find myself consistently farming current content mats and creating current content food. Even archaeology is more fun and has achievements associated with it, where the grind has more of a point than before.

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire Evisiling's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom/England/Birmingham
    Posts
    416
    Well ye but that doesnt mean you cant do gold with mop ingredients.....
    Well the problem I have is that when I create alts on a new server, I find it difficult to sell meats that I get off of mobs before I hit Pandaria.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Evisiling View Post
    Well the problem I have is that when I create alts on a new server, I find it difficult to sell meats that I get off of mobs before I hit Pandaria.
    Yea, pretty much any cooking items are vendor trash until you hit Pandaria. Just the way it is now. Honestly, its a better system than having to pay, like you said, 300g for some classic cooking items to get a few levels in cooking.

  10. #10
    u can get cooking to 525 jus from holding golden carps and buying the mats from the vendor. jus saying. once cooking is 525 though its not dead.. takes a lot of work to get every spec to 600.

  11. #11
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Creve Coeur, MO
    Posts
    81
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can only do the new cooking leveling system if you are already level 85 or higher. So for people who are lower level and want to keep their skill current as they level, there should be a steady market.

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can only do the new cooking leveling system if you are already level 85 or higher. So for people who are lower level and want to keep their skill current as they level, there should be a steady market.
    Why should there be a steady market? Why should someone's lack of desire to purchase the current expansion force other players to have to grind old content instead of spending their time in the newest continent and killing the newest mobs?

    There should be no steady market because there should be no desire to be forced to grind old shit to catch up to the current cooking level, especially because the current levels are already a (more fun) grind of their own. Unlike past expansions, it's very useful to have maximized cooking and be constantly producing food - mats are not cheap nor is making a feast for 25 players optimal (and cheap).

    Past mats still have a purpose - namely achievements, and saving up to level your own cooking if you wish instead of buying MOP mats. Otherwise I think the game needs more old crap to be vendor trash, and less crap to be micromanaged when it comes to something as simple as professions. I'm really glad Blizzard is implementing their new model for catch-up, and I think most people feel the same way.

  13. #13
    to me cooking feels pretty much dead now that I have all the mop cooking achievements and that little kid that slaves away in some invisible kitchen just to donate me some random bufffood. I really only get into it like once every two weeks when I'm in need for fresh raidbufffood. hope they add something to make it interesting again, maybe in 5.3?
    ~

  14. #14
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    that little kid that slaves away in some invisible kitchen just to donate me some random bufffood.
    Ha! I had to spend a month leveling his cooking, he damn well better be grateful.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    Ha! I had to spend a month leveling his cooking, he damn well better be grateful.
    leveling him/her (not sure on gender) was one of the silliest things I have ever witnessed in WoW. 6 stages of leveling and they are all completely the same just with a different vendor item. dont get me wrong the final reward is great but woah was it boring to get there.
    ~

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharlok View Post
    leveling him/her (not sure on gender) was one of the silliest things I have ever witnessed in WoW. 6 stages of leveling and they are all completely the same just with a different vendor item. dont get me wrong the final reward is great but woah was it boring to get there.
    Yeah, it was dull grind. Worth it, but dull.
    I would have prefered quests more like the Kungaloosh quest in Shalozar Basin in WotLK.
    "Pound that rice!" "Add carp!" "Hurry, dice those turnips!" "Add more heat!" "Arrange the platter!" "Quick, present it to the Ironpaws." "Hop on one foot!"
    Ding! Quest complete.

  17. #17
    Mechagnome Whidbey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Whidbey Island, WA USA
    Posts
    669
    Some people just do not like farming ingredients for alts, so there is always a market it just goes in spurts.

  18. #18

    Correcting

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaemus View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but you can only do the new cooking leveling system if you are already level 85 or higher. So for people who are lower level and want to keep their skill current as they level, there should be a steady market.
    Yep sorry but you're wrong. If you can get a toon there you can learn them (easy for us dual boxers, but mage + flightpath is all thats needed, new city should be hearth anyways for speed)

    only thing level matters for is the skill cap increases which are the same 55/65/75 etc they have been.

  19. #19
    I wouldn't say cooking is dead... I can easily farm up 5+ stacks of 300stat food in an hour. Each stack sells for about 800g for me.

    You just have to be smart about when you're selling them ;D Before the typical raid times start on Tuesdays, throw some on the AH and they are bought out rather quickly.

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord nightfalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    4,128
    Quote Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
    Some people just do not like farming ingredients for alts, so there is always a market it just goes in spurts.
    That and often despite having the ability to make food, due to laziness if I'm in a pinch (such as "raid starting in 1 minute and I have no food") I'll quickly buy it off the AH over holding up the raid. I'd imagine much of the food that sells Tuesday nights is due to the same reason.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •