Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I just picked a random HDD, Id rather have something faster in there aswell. You could put in a slower drive with more space I guess.
    And that SSD is fast enough, you will not notice something that is 500 or 575 mb/s. Yeah the write speed is maybe below 300 mb/s, but you are much more reading that writing anyway. Plus it has proven itself as being reliable and is fast enough, which is more important for me. But I guess you could also put an 840 pro in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright then at the budget point you may as well go for a nice theme so i'll do my best to make this build look fancy and do all that is needed. I'll edit it to this post in about 15mins.

Just realized there really isn't much that can be done to increase the aesthetics of the build short of modding.
    Was aiming for a black and white theme but the only way you can really pull it off much better than the previously linked build would be to go the route of cable sleeving (which if you want to do it properly would mean either sleeving the cables as they are [won't look as good] or stripping the wires and recovering them with a white first then sleeving [painful experience if you have never done it before]).
    Honestly the build that was linked before is pretty good the only difference you can really make that isn't painful is to change the ram (though that is running 16gb in quad channel on a dual channel board [which will be a slight performance hit]) and to change the cooler to h100i over the NZXT (that is more of a preference thing and will hit you in the pocket as well).

Here is the build anyway though (less cable sleeving as I deemed that way too much hassle for what its worth [though personally I would go with the other build quite happily if it was my personal rig]).
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.48 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.48 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($186.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($244.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.93 @ Mac Connection)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.20 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell U2312HM 23.0" Monitor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Dell U2312HM 23.0" Monitor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1811.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-21 00:49 EST-0500)
    Last edited by slasher0161; 2013-02-21 at 05:58 AM.

Alright then at the budget point you may as well go for a nice theme so i'll do my best to make this build look fancy and do all that is needed. I'll edit it to this post in about 15mins.
    Thanks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    why a WD black for storage and a by comparison "slow" ssd?
    Stop calling the Crucial M4 slow and yes I know you used quotes but all the same, you're just going to confuse anyone new to SSD's. I agree for storage you don't need a WD Black drive, WD blue is fine and cheaper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Stop calling the Crucial M4 slow and yes I know you used quotes but all the same, you're just going to confuse anyone new to SSD's. I agree for storage you don't need a WD Black drive, WD blue is fine and cheaper.
    That's right, Crucial M4 might not be the fastest drive, but it's extremely reliable, and provides excellent transfer rates & IOPs.

If you go the 16GB ram route, make sure you get 2X8GB and not 4X4GB as that might limit your overclocking/performance a bit. As for Graphics card, I'd recommend you get a GTX670 over the GTX660ti, assuming you play mostly WoW I wouldn't recommend AMD.

As for SSD the Crucial M4 is amazing for a budget drive but I think I would up that to a faster disk tbh. Seeing you have the budget after all.

Do you want a case with a window or not? If you want one with a window, what color theme are you going for? Are noise levels a priority?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouca View Post
    That's right, Crucial M4 might not be the fastest drive, but it's extremely reliable, and provides excellent transfer rates & IOPs.
    Not to mention - there is a Crucial m4 64GB that has been writing for the past two years - has successfully written about 2PiB so far and only recently started having errors - but fact of the matter is: IT IS STILL ALIVE.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Anyway, you're hardly likely to notice the difference between SSD speeds unless you are actually running benchmarking software.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Anyway, you're hardly likely to notice the difference between SSD speeds unless you are actually running benchmarking software.
    Yeah this.

For the few times you write stuff to your SSD - it shouldn't matter. Ever since the firmware that came out about a year ago, the m4 has been up there with the best. It's no longer a 415Mb/s drive. It's 500+. A lot of the reviews don't update though, thus it looks slow when in reality Crucial has tugged out a lot of additional performance.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah this.

For the few times you write stuff to your SSD - it shouldn't matter. Ever since the firmware that came out about a year ago, the m4 has been up there with the best. It's no longer a 415Mb/s drive. It's 500+. A lot of the reviews don't update though, thus it looks slow when in reality Crucial has tugged out a lot of additional performance.
    And they gave the users that extra performance without charging for it, instead of simply bringing out an "M4v2" for 20 bucks more and telling their current customers to buy it or get stuffed. FYI: not standard practice, unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    And they gave the users that extra performance without charging for it, instead of simply bringing out an "M4v2" for 20 bucks more and telling their current customers to buy it or get stuffed. FYI: not standard practice, unfortunately.
    Sadly not, but when you see companies doing this, you know they care about their customers, and are ultimately doing the thing that best keeps customers. I feel very inclined to go Crucial for my next SSD (likely for more games room) whether it is the m4 or m500.
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Sadly not, but when you see companies doing this, you know they care about their customers, and are ultimately doing the thing that best keeps customers. I feel very inclined to go Crucial for my next SSD (likely for more games room) whether it is the m4 or m500.
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely getting another Crucial SSD when I buy a new one.

Deleted
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely getting another Crucial SSD when I buy a new one.
    I must say I'm a fan of the Magician Software that comes with Samsung and I love my new drive but I wouldn't hesitate to buy Crucial again.