Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Dancing Rune Weapon's (badly outdated) resource cost

    I was going to make a point how the huge cost is probably a throw back to Blood dps days, but then I noticed I couldn't actually come up with any decent justification for it even back THEN. Maybe forcing a slight ramp up time for PvP? Anyway, these days the 60 RP cost is completely asinine. 60 RP isn't just 2 Rune Strikes, it's 4 Blood Tap charges which in turn is 0.4 Death Strikes etc etc. It's a nice enough cooldown in that it provides both damage and damage reduction, but honestly it's not particularly powerful in either aspect and the huge resource cost just adds an additional layer of "meh" to the ability.

  2. #2
    It suffers from RNG in terms of avoiding hits, but I find it a really solid cooldown on a 1.5 minute basis Have you math'd out what 20% parry (no DR) for 12s compares to 0.4 DS before saying it costs too much?

    Obviously a bit of a pain to plan ahead and pool RP, but if you want to cost reduced, then I'm sure it will take a utility penalty as well. It also lets you double disease or glyph for additional threat if needed, providing situational flexibility.

    Id rather have it than have a weaker version that costs 30 RP (10% parry, zero damage boost?)

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaMaria View Post
    Have you math'd out what 20% parry (no DR) for 12s compares to 0.4 DS before saying it costs too much?
    Well it's one of our trademark defensive cooldowns, there's no way it'll be a push or else Blizz just failed at class design with DRW (they didn't).
    It's just a bit clunky that it still has a cost, to some people. None of the other tanks have to bank significant resources to use defensive cooldowns as far as I know, outside of short-term active mitigation naturally.

  4. #4
    I'd prefer if they fix how that damn thing works first - shouldn't be too hard to make it actually copy whatever you do rather than doing whatever it does now.

    Also I don't think .4 DS is better than avoiding an additional 1-2 hits and dealing quite a bit of extra damage. And often enough you can combine it with AMS anyway which makes the rune cost trivial.
    Armories:
    Pally: Chiaki
    Dk: Telare
    Warrior: Irlida

  5. #5
    I would love to have DRW resource cost removed. Being able to use it right on the pull would be a huge QoL improvement. It would also be very nice to be able to use it without having to pool up RP.

  6. #6
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    324
    Would love to see the cost removed as well. 60 RP is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you find yourself without it and you need the cooldown NOW.

  7. #7
    Lots of DK skills have unnecessary costs, not exactly sure why

  8. #8
    Mechagnome Italiandk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dô yöû even liƒt¿
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragethorn View Post
    Would love to see the cost removed as well. 60 RP is nothing to sneeze at, especially when you find yourself without it and you need the cooldown NOW.
    Probably if you need DRW too often or you timed it wrong the problem doesn't lie in DRW itself...

    Quote Originally Posted by Boneshatter View Post
    I would love to have DRW resource cost removed. Being able to use it right on the pull would be a huge QoL improvement. It would also be very nice to be able to use it without having to pool up RP.
    Maybe you are overestimating 60 RP for a Blood DK, and why would you want to cast DRW on pull? We don't have to align it with oter CDs like the Gargoyle, so it's pointless.

    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Lots of DK skills have unnecessary costs, not exactly sure why
    Because it's how a DK works? We build up RP and we spend it. It's like this since WotLK.
    Last edited by Italiandk; 2013-02-20 at 04:29 PM.
    Death Knight -> Italiandk
    Shaman -> Cashrain
    Paladin -> Healyoutru
    Priest -> Ängel
    Monk -> Skadoosh
    Mage -> Icydeath

  9. #9
    It is outdated, but DRW is still a massive DPS CD with a decent avoidance CD tacked on. Can sorta understand it since it's a 2 in 1.

  10. #10
    You don't see why it would be nice to be able to use an offensive cooldown right on the pull? To be able to boost your threat potential during the only part of a fight that threat can be sketchy?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    why would you want to cast DRW on pull?
    Double diseases from the get-go!
    Be kind of a poor move since they'd have no vengeance boost and tick softer than a digital clock, but meh.

  12. #12
    Pandaren Monk Slummish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,777
    I like to use it when I've pulled a huge pack of mobs out in the world so I can get double stacks of diseases and then spread them around, but that's about it. It makes farming a little faster when you do everything with blood spec's already-terrible dps.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneshatter View Post
    You don't see why it would be nice to be able to use an offensive cooldown right on the pull? To be able to boost your threat potential during the only part of a fight that threat can be sketchy?
    How do you have problems with threat? I don't understand that. It's definitely best to use it when you have high Vengeance if applicable (Applicable being you won't need the Defensive aspect before it comes off CD again).

  14. #14
    Mechagnome Italiandk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Dô yöû even liƒt¿
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneshatter View Post
    You don't see why it would be nice to be able to use an offensive cooldown right on the pull? To be able to boost your threat potential during the only part of a fight that threat can be sketchy?
    Offensive what? That's a defensive CD with a slight boost to your dps so you don't really need it on the pull and it doesn't increase your threat generation if unglyphed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    Double diseases from the get-go!
    Be kind of a poor move since they'd have no vengeance boost and tick softer than a digital clock, but meh.
    That's why you shouldn't cast it on pull: you don't have any vengeance, so your dps won't be boosted that much, and you are just going to waste one of our few defensive CDs when not needed.
    Death Knight -> Italiandk
    Shaman -> Cashrain
    Paladin -> Healyoutru
    Priest -> Ängel
    Monk -> Skadoosh
    Mage -> Icydeath

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbycakes View Post
    How do you have problems with threat? I don't understand that. It's definitely best to use it when you have high Vengeance if applicable (Applicable being you won't need the Defensive aspect before it comes off CD again).
    Dps with all cds up, trinkets procced and a prepot vs a tank with no vengeance. A poorly timed parry can cause problems here.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Italiandk View Post
    Offensive what? That's a defensive CD with a slight boost to your dps so you don't really need it on the pull and it doesn't increase your threat generation if unglyphed.
    It does everything you do, nearly. If you're only using AP-based attacks then it doubles your damage. (it uses its own weapon, not yours, so Strikes end up significantly weaker)
    Nearly double damage definitely adds to your threat.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Boneshatter View Post
    Dps with all cds up, trinkets procced and a prepot vs a tank with no vengeance. A poorly timed parry can cause problems here.
    I've never had a single problem with threat, ever. Just make sure you have the Taunt debuff up for the pull and then use your abilities correctly and you're fine. ERW is a better CD to use on pull than DRW for Threat.

    It does everything you do, nearly. If you're only using AP-based attacks then it doubles your damage. (it uses its own weapon, not yours, so Strikes end up significantly weaker)
    Nearly double damage definitely adds to your threat.
    The damage from DRW doesn't even give you threat unless you use the Glyph for it, it counts as a passive pet just like Ghoul.

  18. #18
    This is where the Blood Death Knight is smart and pops other stuff to generate Runic power for more attacks, trust me i love the way it works because i know how to use it in certain situations.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbycakes View Post
    The damage from DRW doesn't even give you threat unless you use the Glyph for it, it counts as a passive pet just like Ghoul.
    Totally does. The glyph just uses a sledgehammer as a flyswatter in terms of threat generation.
    It's not quite the same as the ghoul in that it's not a physical entity. It hasn't got health and can't take damage or any of that crap. All the threat it does is passed to you.

    If we could get the damn thing to stick we could get threat on a mob from halfway across the room like that.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiqjaq View Post
    Totally does. The glyph just uses a sledgehammer as a flyswatter in terms of threat generation.
    It's not quite the same as the ghoul in that it's not a physical entity. It hasn't got health and can't take damage or any of that crap. All the threat it does is passed to you.

    If we could get the damn thing to stick we could get threat on a mob from halfway across the room like that.
    This is correct

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •