Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Heroic Lei-Shi, what would you rather bring? Frost DK vs Fury Warrior

So, we are going to try out Lei-Shi heroic tonight for the first time. We are raiding 10man, and our setup is almost done. We are going with;

2 tanks: Paladin + Druid
    3 healers: Druid + Disc Priest + Paladin
    5 DPS: Hunter, Warlock, Priest, Shaman

As you see, we have 1 DPS spot left. Our choice is between a frost DK and a fury warrior. I've been discussing with the other officers and we find it rather difficult to decide on which one to bring. We are planning to use the hunter and the warlock for stacking Scary Fog. As for CC's we are going to use hunter trap, banish, bind elemental and a glyphed psyfiend. It means that the choice between the DK and the warrior comes down to pure dps - from what i've understood, burst and AoE without having a target are big plusses?

Thank you in advance.

Obviously dk for 4% phys and attack speed, and have your hunter cover whatever else is needed.

Deleted
    Warrior has slightly superior single target, better burst (and can get ontop of lei-shi immediately) and brings banners (both demo and skull are great for this fight). In return the DK brings superior aoe to get lei-shi out. There's few situations (specific aoe and cleave scenarios/you need the grips) where a frost dk is superior to a fury warrior right now, and this isn't one of them.

@the guy above, from what I can see they have every important buff covered if the hunter brings a ias pet.
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-02-20 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Warrior has slightly superior single target, better burst (and can get ontop of lei-shi immediately) and brings banners (both demo and skull are great for this fight). In return the DK brings superior aoe to get lei-shi out. There's few situations (specific aoe and cleave scenarios/you need the grips) where a frost dk is superior to a fury warrior right now, and this isn't one of them.
    It really doesn't matter that much. Just bring your best players. Lei shi is a cake walk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    It really doesn't matter that much. Just bring your best players. Lei shi is a cake walk.
    I'll assume that the OP thinks it matters, and that the players are relatively even skill-wise, or it'd be pointless to even start this thread. You are right that Lei-shi is very easy though.

Warrior. Taunt Banner for Protect adds is great. If you'd prefer AoE gripping them, then you could do the DK instead but Taunt Banner + Slows is stronger. Only issue is it only works for every 2-3 Protects, whereas you can use AoE Grip on every one. Up to you, but Warrior is probably slightly better.

A Frost Death Knight can use Remorseless Winter which will stun all the adds, and Anti Magic Zone for the AoE Magic Reduction.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Turdblossom View Post
    A Frost Death Knight can use Remorseless Winter which will stun all the adds, and Anti Magic Zone for the AoE Magic Reduction.
    Amz is honestly kinda bad (I like the design, but it just doesn't absorb much:/), and remorseless is way too slow to be of much use (unlike shockwave if you desperately need one). Asphyxiate (which could be followed by remorseless) is admittedly nice, but hardly a reason to bring a dk.

Since you didnt actually say what spec the shaman is its hard to say
    Enhance = he got melee haste and the hunter can use 4% buff, so then there's no reason not to bring the warrior in terms of buff synergy.

Also, you kinda need 3 people to rotate the Scary fog two simply isnt enough

as for CC, hunter can spec wyvern sting and CC two even

Quote Originally Posted by svettleif View Post
    Since you didnt actually say what spec the shaman is its hard to say
    Enhance = he got melee haste and the hunter can use 4% buff, so then there's no reason not to bring the warrior in terms of buff synergy.

as for CC, hunter can spec wyvern sting and CC two even
    I would even say that wyvern sting is more reliable. I had trap miss a few times, but wyvern sting never will and is instant cast.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The shaman is elemental (I'm the holy pala) We'll be attempting this boss tonight as our lock was late at work last night.

15+ Year Old Account
    Bring the best player.

If equal, I'd have to go w/ the Frost DK.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

If you think they are equal, that's probably just your opinion as the GM. If you want honest answers and the truth about which player is better....then you should link their armories and a WoL link. The fine MMO-C community will tell you who the better player is!

I play warrior so I'm biased, but I can honestly say that fury warrior > frost dk in almost everything this tier with the exception of a few fights where howling blast spam just does stupid dps and aoe grip/single grip are needed for a strategy.

Our burst/execute damage is insane and we have more overall utility: Rallying cry, banners, die by the sword for taunting, threat pulling, ignoring mechanics or just plain damage reduction. Plus defensive stance, shield wall, safeguard or vigilance, disrupting shout, fear, shockwave if needed, and great mobility.

Also, not being able to effectively AoE without a target isn't really a big deal. Just use Goblin Dragon Gun, Mark II (it scales with attack power) on the area where Lei Shi is during hide, safeguard/intervene to someone near the spot where the boss is at or just run over. I use heroic leap during colossus smash, as it's pretty much a waste to use it to break Lei Shi out of hide IMO.
    Last edited by Gromnak; 2013-02-21 at 04:27 PM.

Deleted
    Warrior is good for getaway phases
    DK is good for hide phases

Just bring your highest DPS.

Ive killed it 3 times now, always used 2 members rotating. It IS enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphenz View Post
    Warrior is good for getaway phases
    DK is good for hide phases
    DKs are horrible for hide :P No sustainable target-less AoE. I guess blood boil? Most of the time I'd rather keep the death runes so I can actually DPS the boss coming out.

Deleted
    If you can bring another Shaman the fight will be very easy A glyphed grounding totem absorbs all the damage during Getaway. Since you only have one I suggest you put the ScaryFog people into the group with shaman, and anyone who doesn't have good self-heals. To answer the OP though, I think a DK is good enough for both specials. During Getaway he can just pop Pillar of Frost (glyphed I presume) and nuke the boss freely because it makes him stand still.

I would even say that wyvern sting is more reliable. I had trap miss a few times, but wyvern sting never will and is instant cast.
    Scatter trap doesnt miss

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphenz View Post
    Ive killed it 3 times now, always used 2 members rotating. It IS enough.
    Mabye you could just get by with having only two, we decided to not even try it. just have the first person run inn on 5 before special as it would help alot on the Get Away, and we even used it for killing the protectors.

If your running with 3 healers having 3 people with scary fog only makes your life easier and more forgiving.

Deleted
    Actually we only use 1.5 to stack the debuff, I stack to ~10 then drop it and our BM Monk keeps on stacking/debuffing solo. Works wonders and lets me focus on dpsing while he takes a lot less dmg + makes killing the add a cake by simply taunting it and giving it max stacks right away.

Hunters/mages are great for adds, scatter/trap + wyvern sting and the mages can protect the healers with a ring of frost.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fangless View Post
    DKs are horrible for hide :P No sustainable target-less AoE. I guess blood boil? Most of the time I'd rather keep the death runes so I can actually DPS the boss coming out.
    Im not 100% sure, but I think the hide phase is based around the number of ticks he gets, not the amount of damage.

Deleted
    Obviously dk for 4% phys and attack speed, and have your hunter cover whatever else is needed.
    Warriors apply 4% phys trough CS.
    Isnt attack speed only from unholy, not frost ? (either way, hunter or shamy covers it anyhow.)
    Demo banner, skull banner, taunt banner, rallyin cry, safeguard, aoe interupt, mass spell reflection, aoe stun on short cd. etc etc.
    Unsure if all hunters apply it, but think warrior would also provide armor debuff in that comp.

Yeh, i agree with you, the choice is obvious, just not what you think
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-02-22 at 12:36 PM.