Thread: Best PC cooler

Best PC cooler

Hello, I've been debating on whether to get a new processor cooler for awhile and I think I am now finally gonna give in. My current stock cooler does great with my i7 but now I am looking into overclocking. My question is, what do people recommend for CPU coolers? Air or Water (prefer air) and im look for under 100$.

(I've heard brands like Noctua and Phantec are good)

Noctua NH-D14, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermalright Silver Arrow and Be-Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 are pretty the top of air coolers.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    If you don't want to mess with liquid but want better cooling than just fans you can always look at the NZXT Kraken X40, its a Pre sealed Radiator/Liquid cooler that will fit in any case that has a spot to mount a 140mm fan Runs just under 90 Bucks

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Noctua NH-D14, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Thermalright Silver Arrow and Be-Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2 are pretty the top of air coolers.
    The NZXT Havik 140 comes in just degrees below these, if you want to save some $, OP. For that extra few degrees, I'm not so sure $30-50 is warranted. :P

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 03:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by drglnc View Post
    If you don't want to mess with liquid but want better cooling than just fans you can always look at the NZXT Kraken X40, its a Pre sealed Radiator/Liquid cooler that will fit in any case that has a spot to mount a 140mm fan Runs just under 90 Bucks
    I think he was meaning to avoid AIO liquid coolers, because they are not considered air. The NH-D14 would actually beat the X40 or be about even with it, if I remember numbers correctly - same with the ThermalRight Silver Arrow.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The NZXT Havik 140 comes in just degrees below these, if you want to save some $, OP. For that extra few degrees, I'm not so sure $30-50 is warranted. :P

I think he was meaning to avoid AIO liquid coolers, because they are not considered air. The NH-D14 would actually beat the X40 or be about even with it, if I remember numbers correctly - same with the ThermalRight Silver Arrow.
    Funny thing is that all of them except for the Be Quiet! model are cheaper than Havik 140 in Sweden.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted

Cool

The Havik is now about 60 bucks so not bad price and has received good reviews, So its a good choice. i just thought i would suggest the x40 because i know the "thought" of liquid had scared me but seeing units like this that are plug and play have at least made me think about it. No idea about the benchmarks in cooling between the 2 but the x40 certainly looks cooler

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Funny thing is that all of them except for the Be Quiet! model are cheaper than Havik 140 in Sweden.
    You're kidding...

To be fair, how much is the Havik 140 in USD there?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

You're kidding...

To be fair, how much is the Havik 140 in USD there?
    Dark Rock Pro 2 = $121.39
    Havik 140 = $101.53
    NH-D14 = $95.65
    PH-TC14PE = $93.58