Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I agree with the other poster stating cartel prices make no logical sense. 1900 cc for an account wide artifact gear unlock, which, seeing as this is only usable to a F2P with a cap of 200k or 350k, seems like it is way overpriced in CC.

Subs are better off spending CC on crates and selling them on the GTN. Its like Bioware drew numbers out of a hat to set Cartel pricing on items.

Quote Originally Posted by ariakul View Post
    I agree with the other poster stating cartel prices make no logical sense. 1900 cc for an account wide artifact gear unlock, which, seeing as this is only usable to a F2P with a cap of 200k or 350k, seems like it is way overpriced in CC.

Subs are better off spending CC on crates and selling them on the GTN. Its like Bioware drew numbers out of a hat to set Cartel pricing on items.
    I think they did it with the belief that many people would sub in order to get their coins and then unsub. Not only that, but it's not like the only people who get CC are the subscribers. They sell them for money, which means any F2P player can buy it if they so choose to spend about $21 on coins.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Why not tie repair costs to the modes in the gear, rather than the gear itself? If my understanding of the SWTOR gearing system is correct, that seems to be the more logical way to go about fixing the issue.
    Isn't that what they did? "Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself"

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Isn't that what they did? "Repair costs will now be calculated based on the combined value of all the mods installed in the shell, excluding the value of the shell itself"
    Ah, I misunderstood it when I read it. In that case, yay for them fixing it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Fully agree this might play a role, possibly even might be their main plan.

A few comments on the four components you listed. One and two are obvious, skipping those.

The player generated market is as broken as it is in all MMO I ever played (minus Eve online). People lack information, understanding or both to price their offerings "correctly". You see a ton of people selling manufactured goods cheaper than the price of the materials used, especially the prices for the MK-6 thingies and starship upgrades are consistently much lower than the cost to produce these. It is also obvious that Bioware either employs no economist to consult them or is willing to prevent a meaningful (cartel market coins:credits) exchange ratio by pricing legacy unlocks and perks which can be acquired using either means completely inconsistenty.

The credit cap you mentioned is virtually meaningless. It just forces preferred players to exchange into a parallel currency (mandalorian iron or stabis) and incur minor losses doing so. In my 'main' guild (playing on two different severs) we have no problem supplying the handful of preferred players we got so for them it's no issue at all.

And to finish it off some personal opinion. I would miss being able to play the AH, it's already very limited compared to WoW; and making it impossbile to trade my pixels (credits) for more colorful pixels (mounts, pets, weapons) will not make me spend any RL money in the cartel market, it rather makes it less likely I spend money on the game at all. Secondly making dailies, combined with the reputation system, a more important part of gameplay will indeed piss some people off. Looking around in game, my uneducated guess is, people understand it as an alternative means to progress their characters and the (vast?) majority are going to accept if not even enjoy it.
    Never suspect menace where incompetence offers an equal explanation.

It is my belief that there is no one at Bioware that has the full overview how different changes and addition to the game interact with each other. There is someone responsible for the Cartel Market, and someone who does "game mechanic" stuff like repair costs. And they don't talk with each other enough. Simple as that.

They made adjustments during today's maintenance:
    Originally Posted by SWTOR
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to come in and discuss the two updates we did to repair costs with today's patch. These can both be found in the patch notes.

First, this update changed the way that repair costs are calculated for all modifiable gear. This update will definitely reduce repair costs that were increased with Game Update 1.7:
    • Repair costs for modifiable gear will now calculate based only on the equipped mods.

In addition to this, we have made a temporary reduction across the board for repair costs. This reduction has been done to thank all of you for your patience as we worked on this situation.
    • All repair costs have been reduced by 50% until Game Update 2.0.

It should be noted that after Game Update 2.0 repair costs will change again as we remove the 50% discount, but the change to modifiable gear calculations will remain. (To be clear, this means that after 2.0, repair costs will still be significantly lower than after Game Update 1.7.)

(Source)

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...I mean, kudos to rectifying a mistake...but flip/flop/flip/flop. Kinda hard for the average person to keep up with. Might be frustrating for them if they keep seeing their repair costs all over the board, but don't read forums.

Oh well. At least people can 'recover' their lost funds from previously far too expensive repairs.
    BAD WOLF

Yea can you imagine being someone who doesn't read forums? I would be extremely confused on the fluctuating repair costs.

Quote Originally Posted by nhattien1946 View Post
    awesome! What I don't get is why 50% repair reduction is supposed to only last till ROTHC. Unless it will simply make repairs ridiculously cheap (next to none) as a way to make up for high repairs since 1.7
    That's exactly what it's for.