Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The universe is infinite. I don't think even the smartest mind on the planet can possibly imagine the depth of what is infinite.

Think about every star, every solar system, every single cluster of galaxies and the space between them. I believe even that mass comes to an end, and space just carries on.

Its easy to imagine something having its limit, we humans create limitations in our mind for a reason. But is it so easy to imagine what goes beyond that and never ends?

What if we can reverse aging? What if we figure out a way to harness enough energy to make warp drive possible? I think it already may be possible to extend ones life by hundreds of years if gene therapy becomes a practical reality.

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    We have had the technology to destroy ourselves a 100 times over for 60 years. We lived on the brink of nuclear war for ~25 years (the cold war). I do not believe there is a threshold of our ability to destroy ourselves (a hundred, thousand, or even million times over) where we will suddenly decide it is a good idea.
    Mmm, a full nuclear holocaust wouldn't exterminate the human race. It'd be a serious setback though.

I'd be more worried about us accidentally engineering a supervirus while we're fiddling with genetics. Or creating self-replicating nanobots that malfunction and become lethal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    You cared enough to click my thread and read it.
    Yeah thats whats up
    No seriously. So what? I don't think that dude was saying "nobody cares." It seems like you are trying hard to sound philosophical, but just fail.

We will never be able to explore the universe we will never get the technology to explore out of our solar system.
    We would destroy ourselves before we have the technology to get out of our solar system. Even if we do it would probably take us 100 years to get out and who lives for 100 years?

just think of it like this.
    We are like an ant colony in one country.
    Do you think the ants in brazil are going to ever meet the ants in asia?
    Do you think they even know each other exists?

We would destroy ourselves before we have the technology to get out

It is very possible to travel any part of the universe even if its accelerating. Worm Holes. and with new information coming from the hadron collider, the universe will possibly recycle itself in a few billion years. I would like to see the big crush theory have its return

We will never be able to explore the universe we will never get the technology to explore out of our solar system.
    We would destroy ourselves before we have the technology to get out of our solar system. Even if we do it would probably take us 100 years to get out and who lives for 100 years?

We don't look back at early man and criticize them for not reaching space, we are impressed and thankful that they even managed to invent fire. We don't look back on the last 100 years and think they weren't productive because they never got to another planet, we are just thankful that they discovered efficient modes of transportation and made improvements in science and medicine.

Why would future generations look back at what we do today and only evaluate us based on our inability to do something (get out of our solar system) beyond our level of technology?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    Wrong. Technology continues to improve. In 1000 years I'm sure we have explored quite a bit. Even now there's been Nasa articles about a magnetic field device that warps an object into a second dimension, allowing it to travel faster than light while there. It wont take long until this technology can create a bubble large enough to cover a large vehicle, and I'm sure by that time we have already created a ship intended for space exploration.
    Wait what?

Really?

Source please, because this sounds too good to be true.
    Putin khuliyo

15+ Year Old Account
    The universe is big, so what? I think graham's number would impress you though, check it out.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Bummer man, no need to be all doom and gloom forreal though... Don't worry about the shit you can't control and just live your life =3

10+ Year Old Account
    All we are is dust in the wind.

10+ Year Old Account

Pssh such was said about crossing Oceans, about flying, about breaking out of Earth's Orbit, about Landing on the Moon, about Landing on Mars... space exploration is coming, humanity has a manifest destiny off this rock; haters be damned.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    No seriously. So what? I don't think that dude was saying "nobody cares." It seems like you are trying hard to sound philosophical, but just fail.
    He thought he just discovered something immense, realized how much of a genius he is and after sharing da hard truth and not getting god-like praise in the very first post, he couldn't react properly.

10+ Year Old Account
    so I take it you're a glass half empty kind of guy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    The universe is big, so what? I think graham's number would impress you though, check it out.
    Nah.

Graham's number hurts my brain just thinking about it. A number so big that it would literally collapse my brain into a black hole if I knew every digit it contained? Ouch.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Mmm, a full nuclear holocaust wouldn't exterminate the human race. It'd be a serious setback though.

I'd be more worried about us accidentally engineering a supervirus while we're fiddling with genetics. Or creating self-replicating nanobots that malfunction and become lethal.
    you have something on the nanobots but i think its safe to say that a "Supervirus" wont kill us, someone will be immune to it and from that we can make a vacine not to mention whatever lab it came from will probably have some way to deal with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    So what?

/10 chars
    That's my response too.
    The reason i reply is i find the thread useless.
    Every thinking person he thought before they turned 10, so it's not really deep or interresting.
    It's a bit like making a thread saying 2+2 = 4 ;/

I take it's because you want a meaning in our life etc.
    For some of us it's just about living and be happy about that, instead of thinking we're made with a purpose
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if we do it would probably take us 100 years to get out and who lives for 100 years?
    What? Surely you jest?
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    What? Surely you jest?
    With advances in medical technology, our life expectation is going up. And we're beginning to understand telomeres and their role in the aging process. It won't be too long before we can slow down, or even stop, aging. In the meanwhile, living comfortably past 100 years is coming around the corner for anyone with access to healthcare.
    Putin khuliyo

This has got to be the most useless thread I have ever seen on this forum, and that's saying something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    We won't be undertaking amazing sci-fi style cosmic journeys within our lifetimes,
    Speak for yourself, here's hoping the singularity comes soon. Our lifetimes might be a lot longer than expected!
    Go transhumanist!