Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

We are like a speck of dust in this universe

We will never be able to explore the universe we will never get the technology to explore out of our solar system.
    We would destroy ourselves before we have the technology to get out of our solar system. Even if we do it would probably take us 100 years to get out and who lives for 100 years?

just think of it like this.
    We are like an ant colony in one country.
    Do you think the ants in brazil are going to ever meet the ants in asia?
    Do you think they even know each other exists?

We would destroy ourselves before we have the technology to get out

So what?

/10 chars

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    So what?

/10 chars
    You cared enough to click my thread and read it.
    Yeah thats whats up

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    So what?
    /10 chars
    ur moza pelvis /1char

OP, welcome in the anthropocentrism childish hell. Just live, curse your parents and have fun seeing this sh!t become even worse than expected.
    Last edited by mmoca1e94eb7cd; 2013-02-20 at 10:53 PM.

Deleted
    Oh get out you damn emo.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    We are like a speck of dust in this universe
    Yes, you are.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    no a speck of dust is a speck of dust. we are humans in this universe.

We have had the technology to destroy ourselves a 100 times over for 60 years. We lived on the brink of nuclear war for ~25 years (the cold war). I do not believe there is a threshold of our ability to destroy ourselves (a hundred, thousand, or even million times over) where we will suddenly decide it is a good idea.

We will never be able to explore the universe we will never get the technology to explore out of our solar system.
    This statement cannot logically be made with absolute certainty at this point. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

We would destroy ourselves before we have the technology to get out of our solar system. Even if we do it would probably take us 100 years to get out and who lives for 100 years?
    Voyage 1 is (probably) nearly out of the solar system, and it's only been going for 36 years. I agree we're probably a long time away from any meaningful interstellar exploration (if such a thing is possible) but does that matter when there's so much solar system (heck, we still have so much Earth...) left unexplored?

I'm sure Brazilian ants have met Asian ants, because we probably picked them up and made introductions. Also there are Argentine ants living in Europe, the U.S. and Asia which are part of the same mega-colony.

Humans seem remarkably resilient towards wiping themselves out and we've been trying really hard for a long, long time. In fact as our capabilities for auto-extincting expand our rate of population growth also increases so it seems to be balanced in our favour.

A more real danger is some external event wiping us off the planet before we set up colonies somewhere a bit safer (i.e. anywhere - planets are actually pretty lousy places to live).

Deleted
    man, Earth is so small... it's like a box... I think I'm starting to get claustrophobic... it's too small! I can't breathe! We need to get out into the solar system and into the universe! Quick, someone build a spaceship, we ain't going to live for 100 years!

Seriously now... yea, Earth is small compared to the universe, so what? Maybe I won't ever meet all those "ants" from Brazil, heck, maybe I won't ever meet even all the "ants" from my country. But that's not the point. The point is meeting those few people with which you can form a good strong relationship, no matter if it's of love or friendship. The point is that I don't really care that we're dust in the universe because I don't see it that way.

Oh, and we will get out in the universe. We're already gotten out into the solar system when we left Earth and went on the Moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    These threads confuse me. I do not think human place in the universe being that of a spec of dust is a big of deal. It's the easy answer, the hard answer comes from using a magnifying glass to see the differences between us and other specs of dust.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    As Sagan famously said: "Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand."

We won't be undertaking amazing sci-fi style cosmic journeys within our lifetimes, but that doesn't diminish the exploration already being achieved. With dedicated missions currently operating on or in orbit around all but two planets in the solar system (with another speeding on its way to Pluto and the Kuiper Belt), I think we're faring pretty well given our limitations. Having several hundred observatories of all sorts doesn't hurt either, and many more are on the way.

Lol oh no one of those "we're so insignificant" topics...

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    As Sagan famously said: "Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand."
    Could also have been said by Commander Shepard...

10+ Year Old Account
    This here, is the opposite of everything else you say. For starters, we do it for the future of the human race.

While it's probably impossible to explore our own entire galaxy, nevermind the universe, one day we will make it out of our own solar system, as long, as you said, we don't destroy ourselves through war.

Thread is pretty pointless anyway, we live, we die, it's great to see us advance as we live, and those born after us will advance further. As unlikely as it is, we may be reborn in that future.

As the first guy said, so what?

10+ Year Old Account
    We are a way for the cosmos, to know itself. -Carl Sagan.

Think of it that way. We are built of star dust, we are built of the stuff of the universe and we have been formed into beings with sentience. We are a way for the universe to experience itself, to know itself.

And if you think of it like that, we become bigger.
    Putin khuliyo

It must suck to be so pessimistic.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where is Carl Sagan when you need him?

15+ Year Old Account
    We will never be able to explore the universe
    Wrong. Technology continues to improve. In 1000 years I'm sure we have explored quite a bit. Even now there's been Nasa articles about a magnetic field device that warps an object into a second dimension, allowing it to travel faster than light while there. It wont take long until this technology can create a bubble large enough to cover a large vehicle, and I'm sure by that time we have already created a ship intended for space exploration.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!