1. #1

    BiS wep? 2/2 hc sha staff vs 2/2 hc sha sword + 0/2 hc OH

    So, I just did some soft calculations with my personal stat values, and I came to the conclusion that the upgraded staff is slightly above the sword (barely 50 dps, but still) and the OH, as long as the OH is not upgraded. Is this an oversight by the top raiders or am I missing something? The OH shouldn't be upgraded anyway if you got other BiS items to upgrade cause of it's low stats and pretty crappy excessive crit. I might've missed something here, and yes I calculated in the OH enchant and the full hit from OH as haste/mastery ( as you reforge away all excessive hit obv.).

    This is for affliction.
    Last edited by Tramzh; 2013-02-20 at 11:35 PM.

  2. #2
    If you are not planning to upgrade your offhand, staff is better. But with a 522 ilvl offhand sword should pull ahead.

  3. #3
    With new gear coming out in a week, does it really matter? Since they aren't going to reset VP this time, don't blow your valor on upgrades now and instead save up for some 522 gear off the vendors.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorn View Post
    With new gear coming out in a week, does it really matter? Since they aren't going to reset VP this time, don't blow your valor on upgrades now and instead save up for some 522 gear off the vendors.
    It doesn't really matter much in general no, but I'm just curious if I'm right or not and to what wep to go for. I'll be over-capped anyway if I don't spend my VP on something .
    Last edited by Tramzh; 2013-02-21 at 06:47 AM.

  5. #5
    They are about the same, I did some napkin math a while ago about this. It's a small amount of intel vs small amount of secondary stats. The fact that you can upgrade the offhand (or get a 522 offhand next tier) is what makes the sword better.

  6. #6
    I feel we get this question at least 3 times a week.

    2/2 Staff > 2/2 Sword and 0/2 Offhand

    2/2 Sword and 2/2 Offhand > 2/2 Staff

    The difference is very minimal and really shouldn't be worried about.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    I feel we get this question at least 3 times a week.

    2/2 Staff > 2/2 Sword and 0/2 Offhand

    2/2 Sword and 2/2 Offhand > 2/2 Staff

    The difference is very minimal and really shouldn't be worried about.
    Ah ok thanks, I just wanted myself confirmed. Sorry if this have been brought up multiple times before, couldn't find much about it.

  8. #8
    Unless you're a human or gnome, then the sword is waaaaay better than the staff, possibly even with a crafted offhand (haven't calculated, just guessing)

  9. #9
    2/2 Staff:
    917 crit, 1035 haste , 1486 int

    2/2 Sword and 0/2 Offhand+enchant:
    390hit, 414 haste, 1015crit, 1571int

    rough scaling:
    crit=2, hit=haste=2.6 , int=5

    2/2 Staff:
    11955 points

    2/2 Sword and 0/2 Offhand+enchant:
    11975 points


    the difference is the equivalent of 4 int so.... pretty equal
    Last edited by caliente; 2013-02-26 at 05:05 AM.

  10. #10

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by fiestatastic View Post
    Unless you're a human or gnome, then the sword is waaaaay better than the staff, possibly even with a crafted offhand (haven't calculated, just guessing)
    Kinda unnecessary necro, and how does that make any sense? Humans get benefit from swords so, how come the staff would be more viable for them? It's most likely the only ones that the sword would be better for. And I'm talking BiS now, not crafted offhands/normal/LFR/whatever.
    Yes even with the 509 offhand the staff is stronger, just wanted to confirm it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •