Upgrading processor - Questions on AM3/AM3+ compatability and advice on processor.

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into upgrading from my AMD Phenom II X4 955. I was looking into getting one of those new 8 core processors.

My mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3417#ov

What I was thinking about getting: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819106011

I haven't been able to figure out if it'll work on my mobo. When I use my Google-fu, all I can find is forum posts saying "Yes AM3+ will work on an AM3 socket." But I trust you guys more than I trust other forums. ;P

Also I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has a better processor in mind, I'd definitely look into it!

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Eesh , sorry buddy if it were the revision 3 version of that motherboard you would have been fine for AM3+
    but as far as i can tell , from gigabit's various resources here is the support list for that mobo

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...cs=AMD%20890FX

My suggestion to you would be too grab a top thuban core from ebay or replace the mobo as well :-(

oh and supposedly here's why http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=6799.0
    Last edited by elye; 2013-02-23 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elye View Post
    Eesh , sorry buddy if it were the revision 3 version of that motherboard you would have been fine for AM3+
    but as far as i can tell , from gigabit's various resources here is the support list for that mobo

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down...cs=AMD%20890FX

My suggestion to you would be too grab a top thuban core from ebay or replace the mobo as well :-(
    Hehe that's no big deal if I have to replace the mobo. I thought I'd ask here first though. My mobo right now is...problematic, to say the least lol. Guess I'll continue to research and if you guys have any advice, lay it on me! I may even go as far as to build an Intel-based computer...though I'd rather not, with how expensive it is and all the new gaming consoles utilizing the AMD 8 core tech.

" cracks fingers " .... and goes to work

1. what games / monitor configuration are you looking at running ?
    2. are you using an exisiting Graphics card from you old machine
    3. im assuming same case / powersupply and such
    4. budget rough estimate

Upgrading from a 955 to any current AMD CPU will be a very minor upgrade for games, upgrading to a fx-8150 might even be a downgrade when it comes to MMOs and other games that rely heavily on single threaded performance.

If you are already planning to spend money on a new motherboard there really is no reason to not go Intel since it would only be a difference of a few dollar since that fx-8150 isn't much cheaper than a i5.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

My Mobo choice to suit that closed loop bundle you picked there (solid choice) , i really think the closed loop liquid cooling is a great way to get hooked on liquid cooling

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131873 gives you UEFI bios <3 and all the features you will need

Slot in your existing ram and GPU , Hd and psu when your ready later you can install an SD and demote your current platter to cold storage.

Quote Originally Posted by elye View Post
    " cracks fingers " .... and goes to work

1. what games / monitor configuration are you looking at running ?
    2. are you using an exisiting Graphics card from you old machine
    3. im assuming same case / powersupply and such
    4. budget rough estimate
    1) I want to be able to record game footage and still run new games at the highest of settings. 1080p monitor resolution.

2) I was planning to, I have an ATI Radeon HD 7850.

3) Yeah I have a 750W power supply already. I kind of want a bigger case, I got the medium size (forget the term lol) back when I built this, I think I want a full tower.

4) I'm willing to spend about $600. I already have a 500 GB SSD (no I didn't buy it, prototype given to me by my dad lol...what a nice guy), power supply, card, etc... I just really want something that performs better than my current build. Right now when I try to record games and run at max settings, I can barely maintain 25 FPS.

Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Right now when I try to record games and run at max settings, I can barely maintain 25 FPS.
    Are you recording to a separate hard drive? Otherwise using Fraps to record to the same drive you are running the game from will drops your FPS big time.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Are you recording to a separate hard drive? Otherwise using Fraps to record to the same drive you are running the game from will drops your FPS big time.
    Yeah, I run games off my SSD, record to my standard hard drive (not sure of the model).

---------- Post added 2013-02-23 at 05:22 AM ----------

I have to head out to work. Thanks again for the responses so far guys, I'm going to stew on this while I'm at work, and check this thread out again when I get home.

Yeah , your Read-write buffer on the drive will be screaming in pain .... also 500gig SSD >.< wtf , even the fusion IO cards i used to install in servers before i swapped job weren't that large and were worth like $30k.

Case size wise if your going to use liquid cooling it actually doesn't matter as air flow is pointless :-D

do bear in mind what nocturnal said , about the 955 being a decent chip compared to an I5 the liquid cooling kit on that 8150 makes up a tidy part of the value of the bundle at least $50 what you could try is buying a decent cooling solution for your 955 and pushing it , I did this with an old 945 deneb stock clocked at around 3.0 pushed it to around 3.5 stable on a closed loop .