Chaos bolt compared to Pyroblast

Just looked a stream of one guy with 2.5k mmr (arena) and he has crit from his pyros over 100k (many times). I know it's buffed damage from trinket and buff on damage from shield... compare to Chaos bolt, Pyroblast is really huge damage burst in 1 GCD. While CB requires embers/time to cast (3s) and has slightly slow flying time, Pyroblast cost - no class specific resources/time to cast (instant on proc that deals +25% dmg, but the proc can proc from pyro that also has crit in additional to last crit from scorch or smth). This is not whine, just want to know what are your thoughts about it?

sry for my english, it's not my native language =P

10+ Year Old Account
    100k crits are fine with all CDs popped, every class has that one really hard hitting ability.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    100k crits are fine with all CDs popped, every class has that one really hard hitting ability.
    Also you can't stock Pyroblasts like you can Chaos Bolts so its less burst overall, and fire doesn't have CDs that buff the dmg Pyroblast does whereas Dark Soul makes Chaos Bolt hit significantly harder.

Chaos Bolt I'm sure is more dps when cast and a larger nuke (if you wanted it to cast faster for pvp you could use it w/ backdraft stacks).

10+ Year Old Account
    The high damage can result from many things: if you have low resilience, if he has his damage buff rolling, if the pyro is a HS proc, or if he has a trinket/weapon effect rolling, etc. The two have different benefits/weaknesses though. A Pyro can be instant and will use a GCD, so the burst from it during that time span is tied to that one attack. However, for destr locks, when you hard cast CB, you open your GCD by the time the cast goes off, allowing you to combine more damage with that attack such as a quick cast attack combined with an instant conflag, so this adds up to CB (at the greatest feasible distance)+quick cast Incinerate+Conflag+a pet ability (can tie this to your Incinerate, especially if using an Imp with the glyph of demon training). That ends up being quite a bit more burst.

If you have a HS proc though, you can tie one spell before it, like Fireball/Scorch and then cast the Pyro, but the damage is less than that above^
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Harekrsna View Post
    Also you can't stock Pyroblasts like you can Chaos Bolts so its less burst overall, and fire doesn't have CDs that buff the dmg Pyroblast does whereas Dark Soul makes Chaos Bolt hit significantly harder.

Chaos Bolt I'm sure is more dps when cast and a larger nuke (if you wanted it to cast faster for pvp you could use it w/ backdraft stacks).
    Have you ever read the tooltips on Alter Time and Shatter?

Quote Originally Posted by Harekrsna View Post
    As a matter of fact you can "stock" at least 3 Pyroblasts. You just have to proc one Hot Streak, save it. Then Shatter with a Nova or whatever, use a scorch/fire ball to proc one Heating Up. From then you can launch a Pyro and Deep, then you get another Pyro. Alter time and Pyro again, etc... That's without mentioning RoF/Frostjaw and Hot Streak that can proc during your combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    As a matter of fact you can "stock" at least 3 Pyroblasts. You just have to proc one Hot Streak, save it. Then Shatter with a Nova or whatever, use a scorch/fire ball to proc one Heating Up. From then you can launch a Pyro and Deep, then you get another Pyro. Alter time and Pyro again, etc... That's without mentioning RoF/Frostjaw and Hot Streak that can proc during your combo.
    7 in a row is actually what they can get without fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    7 in a row is actually what they can get without fail.
    Yeah, did I even mention Inferno Blast? Anyways, I wanted to say 3 "at least" since it's a PvP scenario (even though a warlock is much less likely to land the Chaos Bolts he's stocked). Remember at the start of beta when we showed how many Pyroblasts could be procced in a row?

In the end, Pyroblast is better than Chaos bolt in most cases: Less ramp-up, less casting, more consistent, more sustained. Although it is subject to dispels, which is a disadvantage.

yeah 100k nuke on a 400k target sure is a HUGE problem...

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    yeah 100k nuke on a 400k target sure is a HUGE problem...
    When it's instant, yes. When it takes 2 to 3 seconds of casting, not that much (even though it creates a lot of disparities that most PvPers aren't fond of).

Also, not every class should have insane burst...