Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Is success due to DNA or hard work?

I don't know the answer to my question. I believe it's a mix of both. I've seen the children of talented people be as talented. I've seen hard working individuals of questionable heritage achieve great things.

In your opinion and experience what does matter more in the development of an individual? a good DNA or lots of personal effort?

I am really interested in your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Kreeshak View Post
    I don't know the answer to my question. I believe it's a mix of both. I've seen the children of talented people be as talented. I've seen hard working individuals of questionable heritage achieve great things.

In your opinion and experience what does matter more in the development of an individual? a good DNA or lots of personal effort?

I am really interested in your input.
    50% luck, 25% hard work, 25% DNA.

Hard work.

My parents are brain-dead wastes of space who've done literally nothing with their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by nightmarez View Post
    great respect for your parents i see
    Why would I have respect for them? The whole parenting thing wasn't their cup of tea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmarez View Post
    great respect for your parents i see
    Some parents do not deserve respect, mine are complete bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a mixture of both, as well as luck and the circumstances you were born into.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Who you know, not what you know.

Hard work takes you so far but having contacts gets you further.

If you don't work hard you don't get shit, DNA can only help so much and I'd say the bigger role talented parents play in talented offspring is the mindset and encouragement

10+ Year Old Account
    "Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework."
    - Thomas Edison

Bad comparison. That's like comparing a screw to steel.

Similar comparisons: The old fashioned Nature vs. Nurture, Smarts vs. Hard Work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    "Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework."
    - Thomas Edison
    But geniuses are often poor and miserable. Not sure what the measure of "success" is in this case. But in general, it is part DNA, a larger part hard work and often a largest part blind dumb luck.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Mostly quality of upbringing (parenting (the lack thereof or the quality) is more influential than anything else), how smart you work (which a good upbringing should lead into), and hard work (which a good upbringing should lead into also). DNA giving a minor advantage or disadvantage, but not to a degree that greatly changes the outcome compared to the other factors.

As for luck, most of the time what people call luck in others’ noninherited success is not due to luck, but due to those others working smarter (not necessarily harder) in a way that advanced them, and that the person calling it luck doesn't understand. Luck plays a far smaller part than most people seem to think, and it should not be relied upon or assumed to be a required factor for success while allowing the other factors to not be present or as present.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

I think people are overstating luck a little to much, but it certainly is a starting factor.

I'll never doubt that it was luck that got me into the job I am today, but, it is purely through my handwork, determination and self-improvement that has kept me to the job, given me better prospects and offered me opportunities I'd never had imagined.

More DNA than hard work. Because some people are naturally smarter than others. Not by race or anything. But I'm white, and have to work my ass off to understand anything. Yet I have other white friends who can just skim something and still do better than me. That applies to all races I'm sure. DNA definitely plays a part, hard work is still necessary though. You can naturally be smart and still have a terrible work ethic getting you nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post

As for luck, most of the time what people call luck in others’ noninherited success is not due to luck, but due to those others working smarter (not necessarily harder) in a way that advanced them, and that the person calling it luck doesn't understand. Luck plays a far smaller part than most people seem to think, and it should not be relied upon or assumed to be a required factor for success while allowing the other factors to not be present or as present.
    Wouldn't you say that DNA and who you get as parents is part of luck?

You can't exactly pick your parents or DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Mostly quality of upbringing (parenting (the lack thereof or the quality) is more influential than anything else), how smart you work (which a good upbringing should lead into), and hard work (which a good upbringing should lead into also). DNA giving a minor advantage or disadvantage, but not to a degree that greatly changes the outcome compared to the other factors.

I think I agree with this

Luck & Hard work, DNA doesn't really have a factor in it. In-fact i'm not that bright, infact i'm pretty stupid academically and i'm earning enough to support my ill wife with out benefits, go on adventure holidays and still end up with cash left over. All simply due to working hard and being in the right place at the right time.
    Last edited by Toccs; 2013-02-21 at 05:02 PM.

Deleted
    Luck...aka. being at the right place at the right time,
    Connections....aka. knowing someone who knows someone.
    Personality...how likable are you? Do you get on with other people etc?
    Hard Work....self explanatory really.

In that order.

Obviously however a negative extreme in either area will hamper your potential (aka. if you're extremely lazy, ugly, anti-social or unlucky) you won't get anywhere either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Wouldn't you say that DNA and who you get as parents is part of luck?

You can't exactly pick your parents or DNA.
    So you missed the word "noninherited" in my post I guess?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    DNA? bullshit,plain and simple, superior genetics is a pathetic excuse to support unequity

hard work?sometimes,not always though, success can also be inherited(litterally) having rich parents helps alot,you will have the best education one can get for instance

how about luck? did it not even cross your mind? being at the right place at the right time does wonders trust me,many people have began great carreers accidentally

how about the will to succeed even if it causes damage to people around you? that's important too, some people have a mechanism called consience that prevents them from earning salaries of 10.000$/month when everywhere around them people are living in misery

how about the conditions of one's birth? being born in Bagladesh for instance does not give you a 'headstart' on your pursuit of success does it?

how about being able to break the law without getting caught? if you manage it you're definately going to fill your pockets and afterwards you can invest the money legally( i mostly have things such as tax evasion in mind,not robbing banks)

want a summary? the greatest chance of success has someone who: was born on good conditions,is cold,calculating,heartless even better and is willing to take risks in order to get there,the farther he is the more risks he should take.

ps: honestly i always found America's praise to success to be a paradox,especially when the praise goes to greedy bastards who have spent their life making money
    Last edited by mmoc99d570be5c; 2013-02-21 at 05:04 PM.