Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Does anyone have a gf/wife that says they're OK with constant gaming but they aren't

Personally my girlfriend is pretty cool with my hobby in gaming. I'm a sociable person, love to party, go out with friends, spend time with my girlfriend. But I obviously love to relax after work during the week and GAME.

Is anyone the same, but has an issue with their girlfriend/wife?

I'm hoping over the years my girlfriend doesn't get fed up with my gaming hobby and have a problem with it.

Any old timers out there that experience this?

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    It will all change when you get married. No more gaming for you.

Yeah be ready to quit that hobby once you're married or have kids.

Deleted
    Me and my fiance were both gamers i toned it down quite a lot and stopped playing mmo's and such.
    He still plays singleplayer games like Skyrim or Dragonage some others. I can't say it bothers me unless he were to totally ignore me for his games but as that doesen't happen i have nothing to complain about really.

We're also having a kid coming into our lives any day now and i don't intend to make him stop gaming or whatever its his hobby so he can keep it! It's healthy to have one We both do know that he'll probably has a bit less gaming time for a while but we're both ok with that
    Last edited by mmoce3c3da46cf; 2013-02-21 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I'm married and still game every night. I didn't trick her, she knew what she was buying when she married me.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    My wife has been fine with it since Vanilla...The addition of a kid crimped my style for a while, but she is old enough now that that issue disappeared. My new (hopefully) hunting dog, on the other hand, is much more of an interruption...Been almost 10 days since i've even logged on.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

If your gaming means you never give her any attention at all, then yes. I can see that getting to her in time. If everything is fine now but then in a year you start playing more for whatever reason and she gets less of your time than she used to, I can see that getting to her as well. But if you start now as you mean to go on, and make sure that you're not totally ignoring her, then it shouldn't be an issue. If she's okay with it now, she will continue to be okay with it later.
    [22:14] <+Lia> And why is Ruken molesting trees?
    [22:14] <@Rukentuts> Because they give me wood.
    [22:14] <+Lia> ...
    [22:14] <+Lia> worst pun ever
    [22:15] * Rukentuts boughs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes and it has caused me hell! So my partner and I bonded over World of Warcraft. He was a 25 man raid healer and eventually I ended up joining his guild and tanked for nearly two years. Not long after I joined, though, he mostly quit playing as he changed career paths and went back to school...but suddenly WoW was the evil mistress in the house that kept me away from him all the time and blah blah...

...very annoying. I ended up quitting raiding and dropping some of my alts and curbing my time so he'd stop being annoying about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    I'm married and still game every night. I didn't trick her, she knew what she was buying when she married me.
    That's what I'm hoping happens to me. :P I always joke around saying "that's what you get when you date me". She just laughs, guess only time can tell.

It's understandable that she wants to spend time aswell from time to time. And that sometimes she wouldn't want you to be gaming but instead watching a movie together, cuddling on the couch. But that has nothing to do with gaming itself. Whatever hobby you have and put lots of time in.

Women seem to have that urgre to get attention. If you can manage to share the gaming with her, she wouldn't mind it that much.
    'Wanting to relax' isn't a good argument. Women always seem to have a counter-argument for it.

And I have to agree with this. When you're getting married (and getting kids) you should get used to the fact you won't have that much time left for your own things. You have your job and work (I asume) 5 days a week. You only have your weekend left and evenings from workdays, from which you are tired.

I have been wit my now wife since I was 17, we are now 26, married and have a kid. I have played wow since December/ January of release year. So It means I have been playing it nearly as long as we have been together. But back OT my wife hates my computer and always whines about wanting to blow it up. But guess what if she wants to be my wife she learns to deal with it. I also compromise and cut down to 2-3 gaming nights from 9pm to 2am a week. she goes to bed at 9 so It works out for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Yes and it has caused me hell! So my partner and I bonded over World of Warcraft. He was a 25 man raid healer and eventually I ended up joining his guild and tanked for nearly two years. Not long after I joined, though, he mostly quit playing as he changed career paths and went back to school...but suddenly WoW was the evil mistress in the house that kept me away from him all the time and blah blah...

...very annoying. I ended up quitting raiding and dropping some of my alts and curbing my time so he'd stop being annoying about it.
    Ooo, a woman in this situation. Do you still play regularly, or are you slowly getting away from gaming?

More responsibility = less time for gaming.

It should come as a natural change...

This. No matter what they say, no matter how they promise, it's all over when you get married. Any girl that tries to convince you otherwise is selling something.

Not me personally cut I have two friends that do. I don't know how they deal with it.

Naaa, ol lady plays alot of wow. I used to but got bored with it. We make sure we spend our weekends doing stuff toghter but shes pretty cool about my gaming through the work week

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    If gaming is a big hobby of yours, the best advice I can give is find games the two of you like so you can play them together. It might not be the most romantic thing, but if she's into it, at least its a way to spend time together AND get some gaming in.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    But guess what if she wants to be my wife she learns to deal with it.
    This doesn't work for most guys. I value my children (I have two) and the court systems almost always side with the mother so either you cave in and become half a man, or you lose your kids. It really has little to do with gaming though - if you value your own freedom, your ability to choose your own path in life, don't even remotely consider getting married.

My husband is a big gamer and I don't mind at all. He has played games since before we met and i see no reason why he should stop because we are married. I actually like to watch him play games so I sit next to him on the couch while he plays.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, depending on when I get home from work she is either asleep or at work herself. On the days our shifts actually are similar I usually not play WoW.