Page 1 of 5
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    New Cast Timer on Gear Repairs

    Would you be in favor of Blizz adding a cast timer on your gear repairs to make the game more immersive and realistic? The length of the timer would depend on how broke your gear is.. ie: the lower durability it has, the longer it takes to repair that gear.

    The cast would be like 30 sec cast for really broke gear, to 5 sec cast for minimal broken gear.

    What do you think?

    Also, what do you think about players who have the blacksmithing profession, are able to repair your gear with a cast timer as well? Blacksmiths could set their own prices and we would have a new economy going.
    Last edited by Jaylock; 2013-02-21 at 10:16 PM.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  2. #2
    Nope. I don't think that's a good way to add immersion; a whole host of angry players complaining on the forums? Yeah, it might accomplish that.

  3. #3
    Too annoying for when a guild pops jeeves during progression.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

  4. #4
    How does this add immersion? It would merely force me to waste time staying there not being allowed to move.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Darsithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    33,655
    I kinda like the idea. Just a little. Though even more immersive games still don't do that. Oblivion was an instant repair...just click and click and click.



  6. #6
    I'd only be okay with a cast timer if they allowed a blacksmith to do the repairs, and it only happened when they did it. Which freaking should happen.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Keakee View Post
    Nope. I don't think that's a good way to add immersion; a whole host of angry players complaining on the forums? Yeah, it might accomplish that.
    Maybe they could compensate by reducing the price of repairing gear by like half and add the cast timer?

    I'm sure a whole slew of players would enjoy this change.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  9. #9
    No, this community would holler. Loudly.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion
    Plox. I got your plox right fucking here. - Animalhouse

  10. #10
    Do you really think this would improve the game experience?


    There's no reason for gear to "break" except as a gold sink mechanism that is roughly in line with playtime and wipes. There's certainly no reason, realistically, for a society that can resurrect a player to not have a goddamned mending spell that can fix dumb stuff like damaged armor. The gear is magical anyway, and shouldn't be subject to normal wear and tear.

    Repairing is a tax, a gold sink, and way too abstract. I'd be ok with blacksmiths repairing it or just an inscription scroll that repairs gear in an area, but at that point, why even have the mechanic?

    A channel bar is a ludicrous idea. You have to know that.

  11. #11
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Maybe they could compensate by reducing the price of repairing gear by like half and add the cast timer?
    The price is already irrelevant. Cutting it in half wouldn't be "compensating" for anything.

  12. #12
    Moderator LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    3,287
    Not. At. All.
    Battletag: Rhaegas#1141
    Armory: Valefaran
    How to Fire Mage for 6.0 Guide

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Do you really think this would improve the game experience?


    There's no reason for gear to "break" except as a gold sink mechanism that is roughly in line with playtime and wipes. There's certainly no reason, realistically, for a society that can resurrect a player to not have a goddamned mending spell that can fix dumb stuff like damaged armor. The gear is magical anyway, and shouldn't be subject to normal wear and tear.

    Repairing is a tax, a gold sink, and way too abstract. I'd be ok with blacksmiths repairing it or just an inscription scroll that repairs gear in an area, but at that point, why even have the mechanic?

    A channel bar is a ludicrous idea. You have to know that.
    Quit talking out of your ass.

    Although magical properties are applied to gear, they are made of plate, mail, leather and cloth. They can break. They do break. And it would only add the the realism of a person having broken gear, that it takes time to repair such items.

    In the real world you often can not repair clothing and armor to be perfect like it was, eventually it will have to be broken down, smelted, what have you in order to create something new.

    This is a game, and whatever happened to people liking a game to be immersive, and sort of life like? Adding to the realism of the game does nothing to hurt anyone. Seriously you are squaking at a 30 sec channeled cast timer to repair your gear?

    Get real.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-21 at 10:26 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    The price is already irrelevant. Cutting it in half wouldn't be "compensating" for anything.
    As much as I would like to believe this statement, the fact of the matter is, that it is just not true.

    People complain all the time about having a lack of gold to buy things in this game. It is astonishing to me that anyone would be lacking gold with how easy it is to get, but there are several people that i personally know that are always broke and having repairs cut in half would make them extremely happy.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  14. #14
    Dreadlord Vynistra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Salem, OR
    Posts
    852
    Gear broken.
    BRB in 6 minutes while it repairs.

  15. #15
    I'm all for more immersion but I don't see this helping all around, would hinder those as others have stated on progression runs and that on itself has some time restraints attached in most cases.
    Kibblet Infectionate Serenades Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Taxiporte Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Shoctologist Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynistra View Post
    Gear broken.
    BRB in 6 minutes while it repairs.
    30 seconds, if you learn to read, you would know 6 minutes wasn't the proposal.

    What is it with you people?

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-21 at 10:31 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Kisu View Post
    I'm all for more immersion but I don't see this helping all around, would hinder those as others have stated on progression runs and that on itself has some time restraints attached in most cases.
    Raiders spend more than 30 seconds between pulls jumping around in place and talking on mumble. I dont think it would be an issue for them, or am i wrong in this thought?
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  17. #17
    I think it's a neat idea. 30s for a really bad repair - that is not really going to impact anything. Even if you were in an uber world first race, a few mins over the course of a night will not make a big impact to anything.

    However, Blacksmiths should only be able to repair plate. Leatherworkers repair leather and mail. And tailors repair cloth.

  18. #18
    Fluffy Kitten Rivin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    13,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    As much as I would like to believe this statement, the fact of the matter is, that it is just not true.

    People complain all the time about having a lack of gold to buy things in this game. It is astonishing to me that anyone would be lacking gold with how easy it is to get, but there are several people that i personally know that are always broke and having repairs cut in half would make them extremely happy.
    There's a big difference between not being able to buy things that cost thousands of gold and repairs that cost less than what you earn from a single quest. The only time it's at all noticeable is when you die a lot, then it can get up to around 60g, which can be recovered by vendoring two or three greens.

    Also: if you really want to make it take more time, stop using Repair All. Repair each item individually. That's both more "realistic" *cough* and takes more time.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Quit talking out of your ass.
    I'm not, at all.

    Although magical properties are applied to gear, they are made of plate, mail, leather and cloth. They can break. They do break.
    No, they don't. We can't break weapons, and the "weapon breaker" parrying daggers don't even exist on Azeroth- obviously, because they would do nothing. Dismantle breaks items, and they reform in seconds.

    Items break when you die. How you die has no effect on this, and they break in fractions. This models NOTHING.

    And it would only add the the realism of a person having broken gear, that it takes time to repair such items.
    It's not realistic at all, and this would add nothing at all. It takes 10 seconds to resurrect someone whose body has been melted to whatever it is that ash melts to, and that's far more complex than any of this.


    In the real world you often can not repair clothing and armor to be perfect like it was, eventually it will have to be broken down, smelted, what have you in order to create something new.
    I dispute your argument. Show me one piece of broken magical gear. I can find none on ebay.

    This is a game, and whatever happened to people liking a game to be immersive, and sort of life like? Adding to the realism of the game does nothing to hurt anyone. Seriously you are squaking at a 30 sec channeled cast timer to repair your gear?
    Of course. Your idea is horrible, and you should feel bad for having it. Don't ever design a game, and preferably, stop trying to insert your horrible ideas into this one.


    Just for the record- I'm a big fan of realism in games. I want games to play by their own rules. I would like WoW to do more of this. But if all you can come up with is some ludicrous fetishistic detail and try to use that- gtfo the kitchen, because you clearly didn't read the recipe book.

  20. #20
    It would be fair I think if it was in place of the repair cost.
    Ooo Guild Perk?!
    Vote with your wallet if you don't like something. Otherwise just keep your mouth shut.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •